Umpiring The Umpiring Dissent Rule - Discuss Here

Do you agree with the zero tolerance on umpire abuse?

• Yes, abuse has going on for far too long and zero tolerance is the way

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • Yes I’m for a stronger line but not 50 metre penalties unless it’s serious abuse

Votes: 73 26.1%
  • Not really, we have rules in place already about umpire contact and abuse, leave it as is.

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • No, it’s an emotional game and players need to let it out.

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Boooooooo, maggots

Votes: 29 10.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that GWS/Saints game proved just how easily and smoothly the new rule can be adhered to by players
Was there one 50metre given? And clearly the player had a minor dummy spit.

Clearly, self-control is easily achieved by players.

So, what we know at the end of the game this Friday night is that the players adjusted quickly to the dissent rule.

Let's see how the weekend games go. Will most afl players be able to adapt to the new rule, or will there be a number of slow learners?

Well that GWS/Saints game proved just how easily and smoothly the new rule can be adhered to by players

Clearly, these fellows drafted their posts before last night's game, and were going to post them regardless of how it went.

That is the only explanation I can have for these assessments...

And how many other frees missed?

Or are we not worrying about those any more?
There were plenty of other frees missed - WTF has happened to the incorrect disposal rule?

But as this thread is titled 'The New 2022 Umpiring Abuse Rules - Discuss Here', you will only see comments about the Umpire Abuse Rule in this thread.

Get it?

Clearly, these fellows drafted their posts before last night's game, and were going to post them regardless of how it went.

I did watch, with my own eyes, and saw...nothing. it's just a shrill overreaction.

There were plenty of other frees missed - WTF has happened to the incorrect disposal rule?

But as this thread is titled 'The New 2022 Umpiring Abuse Rules - Discuss Here', you will only see comments about the Umpire Abuse Rule in this thread.

Get it?
Now now Fudge, keep calm, it will be okay.

It turns out, shock horror, AFL players, like the rest of us, can adapt.

What was mckenzie even pointing at?
Indicating that the ball had hit the ground and it wasn’t a mark. He didn’t utter any abuse or wasn’t at all threatening, just pointed out out what the ump didn’t see because he was on the wrong side of play.
Pathetic rule.

Penalise verbal abuse and overly obsessive appealing for sure, but for asking the question, that’s ridiculous. These guys are playing full of emotion, they’re not robots.

So, what the afl will get, instead of players supposedly abusing the umps, is irate fans berating and booing them.

Indicating that the ball had hit the ground and it wasn’t a mark. He didn’t utter any abuse or wasn’t at all threatening, just pointed out out what the ump didn’t see because he was on the wrong side of play.
Pathetic rule.

Penalise verbal abuse and overly obsessive appealing for sure, but for asking the question, that’s ridiculous. These guys are playing full of emotion, they’re not robots.

So, what the afl will get, instead of players supposedly abusing the umps, is irate fans berating and booing them.

Why do we have to make it so difficult? It’s so simple.

Here is another to consider, the AFL has cracked down on umpire abuse (which was not really evident to begin with) because they are telling everyone that they need more umpires coming through. You see according to Scott and Co it's the abuse that is diminishing interest.

Now let's look at economic reality. Umpires receive between 60k and top line umpires 150k. They are critical to the game yet we pay them stuff all for an industry that pre COVID was make g over $800m per year.

So if you want more inspires coming through, make it attractive to be in the big league. Too umpire salaries should be double that at least, possibly triple.

You put it out there you could earn $250+, there will be a growing interest, it's simple

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, the only reason why you would think that is because, once again, umpires didn't pay 50m penalties when there was dissent.

Remember what Brad Scott said, all dissent will be penalised regardless of what the umpire thinks.

We've already had 7 blatant ones missed, 1 more than the whole of last round if we're to believe Brad Scott.

So clearly, what you're spouting is nonsense.

Osho is Bard and Charlie is his w***er brother. Only explanation imo

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And carried on like a pork chop waving his arms around.

They're the ones the AFL want to stamp out.
I don't think so.

If that's an example of what the AFL are trying to stamp out, then they have completely lost the plot.

I think it would be more accurate to say that what they're trying to stamp out is what Long did and what Pruest did - and the McKenzie one was simply collateral damage.

As clunky as the rule is, as bad as the umpiring was last night, IMO it was good to see that there were only 3-4 examples of players whinging, complaining or disagreeing with umpiring decisions.

And I like that personally.

If you honestly think it was Cousin Brad who was behind this crackdown of umpire abuse, you are extremely naive.

One last grenade thrown by Gil on his way out.
Spot on, Brad is just the poor dumb dumb tasked with it.

The abuse crackdown is just a smokescreen to distract from how poorly the governing body treats umpires in general.

Oh yes, out of hundreds of possible explanations that is the ONLY explanation for sure.
I would say anyone advocating for players to not show any emotion at all towards umpires has never played the game.

I would be more supportive of the AFLs stance if interpretations were black and white and officiated to the letter of the law, but they arnt and never will be.

It's a s**t show, a massive cluster* that deters from the spectacle that is the game itself.

I would say anyone advocating for players to not show any emotion at all towards umpires has never played the game.

I would be more supportive of the AFLs stance if interpretations were black and white and officiated to the letter of the law, but they arnt and never will be.

It's a s**t show, a massive clusterfu** that deters from the spectacle that is the game itself.

The dissent crackdown is making for a better spectacle.
Given time you will see that

The dissent crackdown is making for a better spectacle.
Given time you will see that
No, I won't see what you see because I refuse to swallow the narrative as you have hook, line and sinker.

I'm all for actual umpire dissent being called out but this is simply ridiculous posturing that will have fans spewing vitriol all game long.

Like all business, maybe the AFL will have to start PAYING more to ensure they retain staff and recruit more employees. Maybe they shouldn't intraduce womens leagues, more teams etc if they can't find the personel to referee them?

Crowds are already down across the board as Gil has systematically ****ed the game. This rule is his final nail in the coffin before someone else comes in and cleans up his mess.

What sickens me the most is listening to the Scott brothers, of all people, acting as if they are paragons of virtue. When it came to giving it to umpires, either on the field or in the coaching box, those two are right near the top.
But we all need to change...

Except the umpires, they can be s**t for as long as they like without consequence apparently.

The narrative is sickening.

Back