Umpiring The Umpiring Dissent Rule - Discuss Here

Do you agree with the zero tolerance on umpire abuse?

• Yes, abuse has going on for far too long and zero tolerance is the way

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • Yes I’m for a stronger line but not 50 metre penalties unless it’s serious abuse

Votes: 73 26.1%
  • Not really, we have rules in place already about umpire contact and abuse, leave it as is.

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • No, it’s an emotional game and players need to let it out.

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Boooooooo, maggots

Votes: 29 10.4%

• Total voters
Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Games don't get cancelled. Clubs have to supply club umpires and the match goes ahead. Generally with a very low standard. Hundreds of matches would be affected in this way as a minimum. Our comp last round needed about 10 games to be assisted with club umpires when official umpires would have been appointed if we had them. Many country leagues only supply umpires to senior and U19 matches with clubs covering the reserves.

I have noticed an interesting phenomenon in my local comp (the WRFL) when the league can't supply umpires, and each team supply a club umpire...the players seem to be more respectful - decisions are questioned with light hearted banter rather than abuse.

The players I have spoken to about this say they are well aware of how tough the game is to umpire at the best of times, and are very appreciative of the volunteers give up their time to umpire to make sure the games go ahead. They also say this attitude has flowed on to official umpires as well - the respect shown towards umpires is definitely improving - everyone is just so thankful to be able to get out and play/watch, and the umpires are a vital part of that.

Maybe a solution to the abuse of umpires at the AFL level is to send players back to their local clubs to umpire games - they will soon realize just how difficult a job it is.

Umpires (and I include myself as I have now taken up umpiring junior games when I can on a weekend to help the kids get their footy fix) love the game as much as players and fans, and without them there would be no game - we should all remember that the next time an umpire pays a free kick against your team.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
At this point in time mate, the only ones still thinking this rule is 'good for the game' are unadulterated simpletons.

No man with an ounce of common sense could cheer this rubbish on with interpretations differing quarter to quarter.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The rule is good for the game. It's good for the future of the game.
There is some ironing out and settling to occur, which to any reasonable person would be a normal and expected course of events.
There is always some people with histrionic personality disorders who believe rules like this will result in the downfall of the game and have supporters leaving in droves.
It doesn't matter how well the rule works 98% of the time, they will find fault with the 2% and from that 2% will conclude the game is teetering on the edge.

******* campaigner maggots can't have different rules for one player.
Geelong have benefited from Duckwoods millions frees.
Go shove your respect up arse maggots

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Selwood doesn’t cheat like Ginnivan. In the end Ginnivan still got a goal from an umpire mistake.
Selwwod ducked his entire career in fact his brother was exactly the same.
No complaints, but you cannot have a different rule for each player.
Matthew Lloyd was biggest stager on the planet.

PS. It's more about the AFL expecting us to respect mediocrity just to make them feel better.
* them, * umpires.

Stop ******* around with the game.

Are we doing this anymore? Surely Scott is fuming the umpires have decided to ignore him. Or did I miss Brad Scott announcing they were going to relax the interpretation?

What a joke this whole episode has been.
Port player gave an umpire a gobful - nothing.
Or maybe he said “That was a great decision” 😉

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well there you go. I'm glad they have eased up, which is what most of us wanted them to do. That article reads like political spin though, and the whole episode is embarrassing for a national sporting organization. Reminds me of Christopher Pine - I am the fixer, I fixed it.

Gaspard

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
St Kilda Freo game. On the line. Umpire misses a dropping the ball free, almost immediately pays a less clear a holding the ball free the other way. Outrage from St Kilda. 50m Goal. game decided. All that is wrong in this rule on display here.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
St Kilda Freo game. On the line. Umpire misses a dropping the ball free, almost immediately pays a less clear a holding the ball free the other way. Outrage from St Kilda. 50m Goal. game decided. All that is wrong in this rule on display here.
First one ball hit his (Clark's?) boot. Second one (Hill) was there every day of the week. Butler lost his mind and gave it all away. The 50 probably would have been paid last year.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Hill decision is holding the ball 100% of the time. Clear as day. As for Clark, it's entirely possible that the ball hit his foot. The umpire is in a much better position than the TV camera angle is, I reckon its plainly obvious that he thought the ball hit Clark's foot. Butler shows clear umpire dissent, that much is clear.

Saints fans should be angry at their team instead of the umpiring, especially in this passage of play.

Outtatym

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Perfect use of the rule- right or wrong you can't be abusing an umpire like that. Piss poor discipline from Buttler.
Decided the game is a ridiculous reach.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, the ump missed an obvious free kick but you can't abuse the umps.

Was just dumb.

Back