The unelected hall of shame featuring Rob Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
One day Chapman made this speech about respecting indigenous culture, and how this club supports their culture.

the next day he wrote a letter to government telling them they should force indigenous communities to take the world's nuclear waste, full well knowing their culture is completely against uranium being dug up from the ground, for any purpose.

Sick s**t.
He's full of wild theories and accusations.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...y/news-story/f784dcc1328f7edca73744480c50c6a1

image005.png

Last edited:
May 7, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
We shoulds take nuclear waste. We have the perfect back yard for it.
It would be huge for the economy and jobs. Do it properly and charge astronomical prices.
Build a big nuclear plant in Port Augusta and get cheap clean power. Sell it to the other states for a profit because we'll have heaps to spare. Then store our own waste.
We could power Australia and reap the benefits. We are the perfect spot for it.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Chapman lost me when he defended their hiring of Collective Minds by saying "There is not much more than incremental gains we can make today in physically improving our players, but when we are told we are using just five per cent of the mind’s capacity, it would be negligent not to explore how we can unlock the potential of the mind."

You simply cannot say something like that and not be a total hack. To have someone at the top of the food chain, say something so fundamentally stupid, is an embarrassment.

Edit: To be honest he probably lost me before that but then he stuck around anyway for so long that I kinda forgot he'd lost me until he opened his mouth and confirmed that he is an idiot.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
It would be huge for the economy and jobs. Do it properly and charge astronomical prices.
Build a big nuclear plant in Port Augusta and get cheap clean power. Sell it to the other states for a profit because we'll have heaps to spare. Then store our own waste.

In terms of policy, I agree with you 100%. However, it is a little awkward when it's indigenous land.

If that wrinkle can be ironed out somehow (I have no idea how) I think we should absolutely get on the ground floor for nuclear power.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Chapman lost me when he defended their hiring of Collective Minds by saying "There is not much more than incremental gains we can make today in physically improving our players, but when we are told we are using just five per cent of the mind’s capacity, it would be negligent not to explore how we can unlock the potential of the mind."

You simply cannot say something like that and not be a total hack. To have someone at the top of the food chain, say something so fundamentally stupid, is an embarrassment.

Edit: To be honest he probably lost me before that but then he stuck around anyway for so long that I kinda forgot he'd lost me until he opened his mouth and confirmed that he is an idiot.
That could just as easily be a line attributed to someone like Homer Simpson or Kramer.

I forgot he said that. Absolutely laughable statement for someone in an executive role

Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

This is great in theory. However, nuclear plants require a lot of fresh water which we’re not exactly blessed with in this state.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
This is great in theory. However, nuclear plants require a lot of fresh water which we’re not exactly blessed with in this state.
There has been considerable research done on the feasibility of the construction of a desalination plant on the gulf for some time. Locations close to Whyalla were being flagged

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The only thing that will force this club to do anything productive will be a major dip in membership and attendance. Money is their primary motivator and I expect a major attendance dropoff next year so we may see some changes end of 2020. Likely it will be minimal change dressed up major structural change and catch phrases of "new vision", "blueprint forward", "best in-house football dept" bandied around again. The marketing dept probably still has these slogans filed away from last time to save them time and money. The club will also suddenly come to the realisation if not this year then next that pyke cannot coach and look for neale craig mark 3. Third time lucky will be the new mantra.

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
That could just as easily be a line attributed to someone like Homer Simpson or Kramer.
Perhaps Collective Minds wrote the book from this episode?

Bart: Did you know that most people use ten percent of their brains? I am now one of them. Before, my energy was all over the place. Now it’s concentrated, like a laser beam. (Bart stands up and puts his hand on Lisa’s shoulder) Well, this has been terrific, let’s do it again some time.

Lisa: Are you standing up to get me to leave?

Bart: It’s from the book.

Lisa: (scanning the book) Hey! I am not a “time burglar!”

I take it he watched Lucy and thought it was a documentary.

Sitting there watching it like:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
As simple as this.

Since the Tippett thing, the lack of accountability has been a problem.

Add in the Collective Minds debacle and injury epidemic that year, which resulted in promotions instead of being held accountable, and is it any wonder we're a pissweak Club?

After the lack of accountability demanded by the supporterbase and the media they probably think they are invincible now.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
All this agitating is all well and good, but it's also pointless. You think the license was sold back to the club by the SANFL? Wrong. It was sold to the AFL.

People need to read the fine print. All board members are ratified by the AFL. The Chairman appointment, made by the board, is ratified by the AFL. We are run, at the board level, by the AFL.

The VFL won the war on which competition was going to commercialize the sport. In doing so, it protected it's foundation members (Vic clubs) and continues to do so. It's had two cracks at killing off those pesky competitors, the SANFL. First, when it dealt with Port back in 1990, ultimately scuttled by an injunction. Then it played the long game, let Port come in and bleed the SANFL dry, then force the SANFLs hand by giving it the only out possible - pseudo ownership of Adelaide Oval in return for enough money to get it out of probable insolvency. The trade off? The club "buying back" it's license from the SANFL, which was code for the SANFL selling the Crows to the AFL.

We support a VFL owned "club". I've said it a thousand times. You will never have a vote. You will never have a say. Why do you think we have the culture of rewarding effort over performance on field? Because that's what's it's like in the club house. Because the club's KPIs are not built around premierships. They're built around bums on seats. Revenue. Sustainability. The VFL use the Crows to generate as much money as possible, to help sustain the s**t clubs. That's why we get home Showdowns at ridiculous time slots. Because the VFL knows we will turn up. The entire business model is built on the fact that we will keep turning up. We are nothing but a ******* cash cow.

The only way to cause even a tiny ripple is to not turn up. But we all know that's not going to happen. So all you can do is hope that, by some miracle, the stars align, we get a decent group of players with a decent coach and we play good footy.

It's not the players fault, nor the coaches fault really. The cards have already been dealt. It's probably why good players leave on a regular basis. . So support the players but don't ever be under any illusion that this is a footy club. It's not a club, it's a company. And we aren't shareholders.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

I am sure there have been plenty of occasions when Chapman and Burton have been told they only use 5% of their brains.

Plenty

All this agitating is all well and good, but it's also pointless. You think the license was sold back to the club by the SANFL? Wrong. It was sold to the AFL.

People need to read the fine print. All board members are ratified by the AFL. The Chairman appointment, made by the board, is ratified by the AFL. We are run, at the board level, by the AFL.

The VFL won the war on which competition was going to commercialize the sport. In doing so, it protected it's foundation members (Vic clubs) and continues to do so. It's had two cracks at killing off those pesky competitors, the SANFL. First, when it dealt with Port back in 1990, ultimately scuttled by an injunction. Then it played the long game, let Port come in and bleed the SANFL dry, then force the SANFLs hand by giving it the only out possible - pseudo ownership of Adelaide Oval in return for enough money to get it out of probable insolvency. The trade off? The club "buying back" it's license from the SANFL, which was code for the SANFL selling the Crows to the AFL.

We support a VFL owned "club". I've said it a thousand times. You will never have a vote. You will never have a say. Why do you think we have the culture of rewarding effort over performance on field? Because that's what's it's like in the club house. Because the club's KPIs are not built around premierships. They're built around bums on seats. Revenue. Sustainability. The VFL use the Crows to generate as much money as possible, to help sustain the s**t clubs. That's why we get home Showdowns at ridiculous time slots. Because the VFL knows we will turn up. The entire business model is built on the fact that we will keep turning up. We are nothing but a ******* cash cow.

The only way to cause even a tiny ripple is to not turn up. But we all know that's not going to happen. So all you can do is hope that, by some miracle, the stars align, we get a decent group of players with a decent coach and we play good footy.

It's not the players fault, nor the coaches fault really. The cards have already been dealt. It's probably why good players leave on a regular basis. . So support the players but don't ever be under any illusion that this is a footy club. It's not a club, it's a company. And we aren't shareholders.

It's pretty defeatist to blame the AFL for the club's plight.

Surrounding yourself with old school chums and sitting there dumbly while the ship sinks is very much an SA thing. We're no different.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers

Surrounding yourself with old school chums and sitting there dumbly while the ship sinks is very much an SA thing. We're no different.
It's not defeatist, it's reality. Look at the Clubs constitution.

You can blame the "SA old boys club" all you like, but you've got to look at the root cause, the environment that facilitates it. Our Board is accountable to one entity, the AFL. Everything stems from that.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

What happens is you get a 100% return on your five percent in just 90 days.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not defeatist, it's reality. Look at the Clubs constitution.

You can blame the "SA old boys club" all you like, but you've got to look at the root cause, the environment that facilitates it. Our Board is accountable to one entity, the AFL. Everything stems from that.

Chapman let the cat out of the bag when he said at the club B&F last year that the most important part of Andrew Fagan doing a great job was that he was happily endorsed by the AFL.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
In terms of policy, I agree with you 100%. However, it is a little awkward when it's indigenous land.

If that wrinkle can be ironed out somehow (I have no idea how) I think we should absolutely get on the ground floor for nuclear power.

Why?

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

It is a bit of a black pill, but it’s hard to argue with the crux of it.

When this all happened in 2014, Port and the Crows sold it to members as some sort of independence day. But both clubs are now answerable to the AFL commission (instead of the SANFL commission). That’s not independence. In fact you could mount an argument that it’s worse than before.

The SANFL received $18M from the two clubs when this happened, as well as another $45M from the AFL...

Just think about what it means when the chairman of an organization’s board, addresses the members of that organization and says the most important thing about his CEO is that he’s endorsed by a different organization...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back