The unelected hall of shame featuring Rob Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s been years since I’ve created a thread. Hold onto your hats people, this is gonna be good.

As we all know, Rob Chapman is not an elected representative of the AFC. He is an appointment. He has been in the job since 2008. This is his 11th season.

He has survived two sacked coaches. He has survived Tippett-gate (where others carried the can) and Rendell-gate (Matt’s still going strong at Collingwood by the way folks).

He has survived the club not winning a scrap of silverware for his entire tenure.

He has survived the Collective Mind debacle.

Last year, just days before the infamous Pyke/Burton press conference, he said this:

“I’ve listened to our players, I’ve listened to our coaching group, I’ve listened to people that were involved in the camp and many of them are telling me the wonderful things that they’ve taken from the camp that they’re applying in their every day life...many are saying great things about it.”

In the subsequent press conference, after the s**t hit the fan, Pyke finally described the camp as a categorical “fail.”

Rob “I’ve listened to people” Chapman is either the worst listener in history or a bald-faced liar. Which is it, Rob?

As if all this wasn’t enough, Chairman Kim Jong-Chapman has just been reappointed (or self-appointed?) for another full term - until 2022.

Chapman’s isn’t the only unelected board position. There are six other positions that are board-appointed. (There are just two out of nine member-elected positions on the board, which means members never have the numbers to agitate for change. So convenient!)

Anyone who cares about the future of the AFC -especially any paid-up member - must make this their core issue. Forget sacking coaches, assistants, forget the playing list.. it is the board that drives the direction of a football club. This HAS to be the first thing members talk about, until something changes.

We had this discussion ad nauseum back in 2013 with the Tippet saga.

We couldn't even get Trigg and Chapman sacked after losing all our draft picks for 2 years due to salary cap corruption and gross incompetence.

We agitated for years. Finally Ricciuto stepped up. We thought we had a saviour who would clean up the club.

Fast forward 6 years and he's one of them. Like the pigs in Animal Farm.

It’s been years since I’ve created a thread. Hold onto your hats people, this is gonna be good.

As we all know, Rob Chapman is not an elected representative of the AFC. He is an appointment. He has been in the job since 2008. This is his 11th season.

He has survived two sacked coaches. He has survived Tippett-gate (where others carried the can) and Rendell-gate (Matt’s still going strong at Collingwood by the way folks).

He has survived the club not winning a scrap of silverware for his entire tenure.

Last year, just days before the infamous Pyke/Burton press conference, he said this:

“I’ve listened to our players, I’ve listened to our coaching group, I’ve listened to people that were involved in the camp and many of them are telling me the wonderful things that they’ve taken from the camp that they’re applying in their every day life...many are saying great things about it.”

In the subsequent press conference, after the s**t hit the fan, Pyke finally described the camp as a categorical “fail.”

Rob “I’ve listened to people” Chapman is either the worst listener in history or a bald-faced liar. Which is it, Rob?

As if all this wasn’t enough, Chairman Kim Jong-Chapman has just been reappointed (or self-appointed?) for another full term - until 2022.

Chapman’s isn’t the only unelected board position. There are six other positions that are board-appointed. (There are just two out of nine member-elected positions on the board, which means members never have the numbers to agitate for change. So convenient!)

Anyone who cares about the future of the AFC -especially any paid-up member - must make this their core issue. Forget sacking coaches, assistants, forget the playing list.. it is the board that drives the direction of a football club. This HAS to be the first thing members talk about, until something changes.

TS1DSbc.gif

As a member since 1991 and also a 36ers season ticket holder since 1992, how is it we don’t get a say at all on Chairman etc? I understand it has to do with the constitution etc but both these clubs don’t give its members any due respect.

I’m also a member of the RAA and get an opportunity to vote on its board of directors. Interesting how sports clubs act differently.

I saw Chapman last week walking through the CBD. He looked quite chuffed with himself - not a care in the world. It must have been a non training day because he didn't have his kit on.

Pointless recycling coaches every 2 - 4 years. The problem lies in the executive and the easily pleased supporterbase.

Last edited:
It all comes back to accountability.

There is none at the Adelaide Crows

As simple as this.

Since the Tippett thing, the lack of accountability has been a problem.

Add in the Collective Minds debacle and injury epidemic that year, which resulted in promotions instead of being held accountable, and is it any wonder we're a pissweak Club?

As a member since 1991 and also a 36ers season ticket holder since 1992, how is it we don’t get a say at all on Chairman etc? I understand it has to do with the constitution etc but both these clubs don’t give its members any due respect.

I’m also a member of the RAA and get an opportunity to vote on its board of directors. Interesting how sports clubs act differently.
Well, plenty of other AFL clubs have member voted boards. Clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong.

As simple as this.

Since the Tippett thing, the lack of accountability has been a problem.

Add in the Collective Minds debacle and injury epidemic that year, which resulted in promotions instead of being held accountable, and is it any wonder we're a pissweak Club?
Apparently if you * up they just hide you from all media responsibilities like they've done with Burton. If you ignore the problem eventually it'll go away!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently if you fu** up they just hide you from all media responsibilities like they've done with Burton. If you ignore the problem eventually it'll go away!
No, if you ignore the problem, people start to accept it and look elsewhere.

"Good news Rob, I've saved that extra $2k from the budget. We don't need that new trophy cabinet anymore"
"Nice work Brett. That on top of the savings you made this year only employing SANFL coaches. Someone's getting an above target on their performance review."

Chapman typifies what is wrong with Adelaide as a city. Part of the ingrained Adelaide establishment with his fingers in a lot of pies and who prefer to do handshake deals with mates over a long lunch, rather than in the board room with proper due diligence. Deputy chair Jim hazel has shared business interests with Rob also.

Said it at the time and I'll say it again. The timing of us owning our license could not have occurred at a worse time. It granted the most incompetent board in our history with the gift of self perpetuation. It will take years and years to recover from this because they'll be appointing non-boat rockers. It's going to take an internal hostile takeover, but that won't happen.

Crisp AND salient

Having an elected board is THE key issue facing Adelaide Crows members, and the board's failure to implement that after the club gained control back from the SANFL should be a scandal.

What they actually did-essentially purchase the club for private use with the club's own money, is one of the great heists.

One day Chapman made this speech about respecting indigenous culture, and how this club supports their culture.

the next day he wrote a letter to government telling them they should force indigenous communities to take the world's nuclear waste, full well knowing their culture is completely against uranium being dug up from the ground, for any purpose.

Sick s**t.

One day Chapman made this speech about respecting indigenous culture, and how this club supports their culture.

the next day he wrote a letter to government telling them they should force indigenous communities to take the world's nuclear waste, full well knowing their culture is completely against uranium being dug up from the ground, for any purpose.

Sick s**t.

Proof?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back