Analysis The Unlucky Ones

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is a discussion thread about those who were unlucky not to get drafted this year.

Every year there is a number of heart break stories as to those who didn’t
make the cut. Being a relatively deep draft pool it seems there is more of these stories than normal. There is however the chance that some of these players might find a rookie list spot in the supplemtary period.

Under 18’s
- Sydney Stack
- Angus Hanarhan
- Stefan Radononvic
- Mitch Podhajski
- Hugo Munn
- Dillon O’Reilly
- Hayden Sampson
- Joe Ayton-Delaney

Mature Agers
- Mitch Grigg
- Jye Bolton
- Michael Gibbons
- Marlion Pickett
- Mitch Maguire

Delisted Players
- Luke Partington
- Nathan Freeman
- Kieran Lovell
- Dec Mountford
- Mitch Hibberd
- Kieran Collins
- Billy Hartung
- Jesse Lonergan
- Tom Campbell

Last edited:
Tom Campbell is another, thought he would have been picked up with the lack of ruck options but maybe some Doggies supporters could tell us why the lack of interest in him

I still reckon the Suns may pick up Freeman as a SP rookie. We have a space still on our rookie list for that.

Surprised no one picked up Jesse Lonergan, feel for him.

Yeah I thought Lonergan might have been one of those sneaky rookie picks. Has had his career cut short from consistent niggly injuries.

So what’s the next step for a Gibbons or Bolton. Are they able to get picked up as a supplement Cat A rookie? I have no idea of the rules.

Or will they need to try again in 12 months?

Tom Campbell is another, thought he would have been picked up with the lack of ruck options but maybe some Doggies supporters could tell us why the lack of interest in him

Probably because the modern game requires Ruckman to be mobile and effective around the grounds? See Gawn and Grundy, in the past Cox and Sandilands. Campbell can win hitouts, but isn't that quick or mobile, and doesn't get a heap of the ball. Need to do more than just win a tap to advantage these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Zane Barzen get selected?

I thought Hanrahan and Stack definitely deserved to be selected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mature Agers
- Mitch Grigg
- Jye Bolton
- Michael Gibbons
- Marlion Pickett
- Mitch Maguire
There has to be concerns over either character of whether their games fit at AFL level with the first two because they are way too good. Gibbons it has to be a height and skills thing. Is Pickett an out of WA risk? Maguire shocks me given how much publicity he had for a NEAFL player but he might be the perfect kind of guy to have train on and pick up before March.
Delisted Players
- Luke Partington
- Nathan Freeman
- Kieran Lovell
- Dec Mountford
- Mitch Hibberd
- Billy Hartung
- Jesse Lonergan
All of these guys have considerable deficiencies in skills, size, athleticism or ball winning. They might be better than some of the kids drafted but it can't be hard to find a midfielder either in the 2nd or 3rd round but even in the 4th onwards that has similar traits and can be given a chance.

Rumours about commitment and missing training.

Still hope for him yet. Probably better that he doesn’t go into the AFL system until he is ready. Spend a couple of years in the WAFL and when he is up to being a professional he is every chance of being drafted if he is good enough.

So what’s the next step for a Gibbons or Bolton. Are they able to get picked up as a supplement Cat A rookie? I have no idea of the rules.

Or will they need to try again in 12 months?
They basically have to hope for long-term injuries or retirements, then they can be picked up as rookies during the offseason, or at round 10 in the mid-season draft. You would think they'd be high up the queue for best ready-made players though.

I would assume Sydney is one club already in the market with Tippett retired and only still on the list for his compensation package.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back