Game Day The "unofficial" North City v North Country intra-club match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking about Campbell, did anyone note the 40 metre cross field pass that didn't get more than 10 feet off the ground, that you would expect to see from someone like Steele Sidebottom?

Half of our list couldn't pull that off.

Times his leading patterns very well. Surprised he was drafted and rated as a defender as he plays like a natural forward. Must have been a very attacking defender when he played there as a kid.
He did impress me in a JLT match in 2017 with his athleticism and intercept marking, so had the sense of an attacking defender then. Great that he can be a versatile option, especially offering depth without Waite and Maj this year.

I don't think it matters even if it doesn't.

If he plays like that consistently, VFL defenders will get embarrassed. He will be in the AFL side in no time.
I remember that you posted the other day about how the game was moving towards the De Goey/Caddy style forwards, and that medium defenders may become more important than key defenders.

Is that the sort of role you could see Watson filling, ie. being too mobile for the taller defenders, but too big for the smaller guys?

I'm not writing him off at any stretch mate. He's just shown a bit more as a KPF at this stage. Wouldn't mind the VFL side playing him next to Larks and rucking when Campbell has a spell.
Oh, I know you weren't. I was just making the observation that the feeling from a number of people around here seems to be that he's more a natural forward than ruck. As such, it would have been a tough gig today one out against an experienced AFL ruck, who is also significantly bigger than him.

Seems to have a lot of natural ability though, does Tristan, and some significant footy smarts. I agree that it would be interesting to see him partner up with Larks this year, while giving Campbell the odd spell. The North VFL team will be an exciting one this year.

Yeah, it's hard sometimes at a suburban ground essentially. I sat on a flank and they didn't change ends at qtr time, so I might of missed some of his stuff if a fair % was on the opposing half forward flank.

Agree mate, bit puzzled by some of the analysis/non-analysis (including mine), as it's currently not the best ground to watch footy, and with so many rookies & numberless players I wouldn't have picked up on several things either.

Thanks for all reports guys, but seems no one mentioned that old campaigner Boomer, how did he go ? is he gunna be playing or non playing coach of Nth Heidelberg this year ?
Haha I'm genuinely interested to know if you actually wrote campaigner in this post, or if it was campaigner.

Speaking about Campbell, did anyone note the 40 metre cross field pass that didn't get more than 10 feet off the ground, that you would expect to see from someone like Steele Sidebottom?

Half of our list couldn't pull that off.
Yes, loved seeing that. Could see that he is being coached to play that extra-midfielder role like Goldy, consistently following up after the hit-out. Enjoyed his game a lot.

Oh, I know you weren't. I was just making the observation that the feeling from a number of people around here seems to be that he's more a natural forward than ruck. As such, it would have been a tough gig today one out against an experienced AFL ruck, who is also significantly bigger than him.

Seems to have a lot of natural ability though, does Tristan, and some significant footy smarts. I agree that it would be interesting to see him partner up with Larks this year, while giving Campbell the odd spell. The North VFL team will be an exciting one this year.

Tristan moves nicely, gets to contests and is a good kick. I just want to see him clunk more marks this year. I saw him 6-8 times in the VFL last year and I reckon he only caught 50% of the balls where he had position. No hurry though, there's something to work with there.

Times his leading patterns very well. Surprised he was drafted and rated as a defender as he plays like a natural forward. Must have been a very attacking defender when he played there as a kid.
Averaged 15.4 disposals and 3.8 intercept marks a game in the champs in his u/18 year.

the endless sideways chip kicking was a bit disappointing, we will need a rather more penetrating approach going fwd as it seems we dont really have a CHF at this point..
Agree re Og, had that classic Irish balance and ball handling (is that racist?) looks very likely
Polec Hall and Tyson will walk straight in No doubt
LDU is still pretty skinny, may have to wait a bit

Noticed EVW, looks top 22
McKay is literally a giant but still learning

Simkin and dumont very classy
I didnt mind the look of Hayden and Zurhaar is not really a small fwd, he looks like JZ size to me

not sure how physically match ready TT is, like LDU last yr, Can Play

If we can get an extra 10% out of Atley LMac, players who really should be solid contributors then we are really looking at about 10 guys who are all quite capable of walking right into the 22
Must be thinking Finals with a decent run

Oh Yeah Campbell was good too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SEN newsman Ash Browne has reported that North Melbourne defender Robbie Tarrant has been sent for scans on a suspected AC joint injury.
Tarrant, 29, suffered the injury during the Kangaroos’ intra-club game at Arden Street on Wednesday afternoon.

SEN newsman Ash Browne has reported that North Melbourne defender Robbie Tarrant has been sent for scans on a suspected AC joint injury.
Tarrant, 29, suffered the injury during the Kangaroos’ intra-club game at Arden Street on Wednesday afternoon.

It happened in front of me.

He sort of rolled over and sat up and sat there for a good 15 seconds, like he knew he'd done something. Turner stopped to see if he was alright and from Turners reaction was along the lines of "s**t".

I'm thinking potentially maybe a sublux, as he wasn't favouring a shoulder/wrist (or anything really) at first I thought he might of broken his arm or wrist when he was on the ground, given how he rolled over when he was holding his arm. When he was walking off he looked fine, but given he went straight to the rooms, there was something there.

Last edited:
We were without Goldy, Higgo, Ahern, BJ, Garner, and Wood. Would expect all to play in JLT1, so a more complete picture of how we are tracking in terms of start ing 22 will have to wait til then.

The main things I took away from today are:
1. The recruits. Polec, Hall, and Tyson will all improve our side. Polec, in particular, is pure class. And we still haven't seen Pittard in action.
2. The 2019 draftees. Always lots of rose-coloured viewing of the new shiny toys. But on today's showing, TT, Scotty, Taylor, and Red Og look the goods. TT has talent to burn. BScott is a smart, running machine. Taylor has genuine footy smarts. And Red Og was just bloody impressive in everything he did.
3. The new-gen mids, Simpkin and LDU. Disappointed that Ahern didn't play and Jed was injured early. But it was great to see Simpkin play a full game as a mid. Although his disposal was occasionally sloppy and he was tackled a lot, he did get a heap of the ball and often made the play. Looks very confident. And LDU was far more composed and up to the AFL tempo. Big show for the Rising Star.
4. Ruck support. Campbell showed he will be excellent backup to Goldy.
5. Watson the forward. Welcome surprise.

Bit of a clip to Port from Polec there with the comments about how hard and tough the preseason was compared to over there.

also:
"If you've got a strong culture you tend to get around each other, and culture is what this club is all about"

Interesting with the reports of Polec being a bit of a loner at Port at times.

Bit of a clip to Port from Polec there with the comments about how hard and tough the preseason was compared to over there.

also:
"If you've got a strong culture you tend to get around each other, and culture is what this club is all about"

Interesting with the reports of Polec being a bit of a loner at Port at times.
Port's culture will take some while to recover from the mark that the Corne brothers left on it.

Bit of a scrappy game at times with the wind not helping and playing on a smaller ground.
Traded in players were all good hall/Polec/Tyson - provided speed skill
Campbell killed xerri who I think will be a fwd with stints in the ruck.
Thomas/Scott will be players - going up against men for about the first time and more than held their own. Thomas with quick hands and skills - Scott with quick mind and finding space and used it well.
Watson was very good - kicking was iffy but it was windy AF
Lmac and evw were both solid with lamb providing good skills off halfback

Cunners , taz, scooter were best of the older guys.

Bit of a scrappy game at times with the wind not helping and playing on a smaller ground.
Traded in players were all good hall/Polec/Tyson - provided speed skill
Campbell killed xerri who I think will be a fwd with stints in the ruck.
Thomas/Scott will be players - going up against men for about the first time and more than held their own. Thomas with quick hands and skills - Scott with quick mind and finding space and used it well.
Watson was very good - kicking was iffy but it was windy AF
Lmac and evw were both solid with lamb providing good skills off halfback

Cunners , taz, scooter were best of the older guys.
Thomas has played against men plenty in the TFL. Shows too imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back