Unofficial Preview The Up and Coming 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What excites me about 2017 is the opportunity to see what our next generation of players is capable of. We haven't seen a lot of our young players over the past two years due to injury, form and opportunity. But our 'Up and Coming 20' includes some exciting names and I think all these guys will be given the opportunity to cement a spot this year if they're good enough:

Up and Coming 20:
B: Hibberd - Nielson - M Williams
HB: EVW - Durdin - Ahern*
C: Mountford - Dumont - Clarke
HF: Wood - McKay - Simpkin
F: Garner - Daw - Hrovat
R: Preuss - Anderson - McDonald
I: Turner - Wagner - ? - ?

*prolly wont play this year

I'm more interested in these guys than win/ loss or ladder position this year. How will they go? How many of them will be best 22 by seasons end?

I'm not including guys like Clarke, Dumont, Garner (when fit), Daw and Wood etc. as they are considered senior best 22 players.

B: Vickers-Willis, Nielson, Watson

HB: M.Williams, Durdin, Hibberd

C: J.Williams, Fordham, Simpkin

HF: Hrovat, Larkey, Wagner

F: Turner, McKay, Ahern

R: Pruess, Mountford, Taylor

INT: Jeffries, Zurhaar, Junker

Last edited:
I'm not including guys like Clarke, Dumont, Garner (when fit), Daw and Wood etc. as they are considered senior best 22 players.

R: Pruess, Mountford, Hrovat

INT: Jeffries (I know I'm missing 3 spots)
Any reason you have Jeffries but not the other three rookies? Also I think Hrovat is going to be best 22.

R: Pruess, Mountford, Hrovat

INT: Jeffries (I know I'm missing 3 spots)
You've got Hrovat in there twice. You need to find some more players. Maybe we can get Grima back.

I came across something earlier today that simply must be wrong. North have the most untested first and second round picks on their list than any other team with 9. Surely not? We have only just started rebuilding?

A bunch of other teams have four.

I came across something earlier today that simply must be wrong. North have the most untested first and second round picks on their list than any other team with 9. Surely not? We have only just started rebuilding?

Yep I was looking at that the other day. Can't wait for them to smash the "North have no youth" myth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this would be pretty accurate. Our last couple of year draftees have hardly played a game. Clatke and Wagner this year and I'm not sure if anyone from the previous year's draft has played. Just guessing though.

I think this would be pretty accurate. Our last couple of year draftees have hardly played a game. Clatke and Wagner this year and I'm not sure if anyone from the previous year's draft has played. Just guessing though.
It is accurate.

In fact we has as many untried first and second round picks on our list as Adelaide, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, Melbourne and West Coast combined.

Yes we have only now started rebuilding despite this fact.

The informed and balanced media told us so after all..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Our 22 under 24

B: M. Williams – Nielsen – Vickers-Willis
HB: Hibberd – Durdin – Watson
C: Ahern – Clarke – Anderson
HF: Garner – Wood – Hrovat
F: Simpkin – McKay – Larkey
R: Preuss – Dumont – McDonald
Int: Mountford – Wagner – J. Williams – Turner

12 yet to debut at AFL level.

15 taken in the first two rounds of the draft (16 if you count Anderson).

At least next year no journalist will be able to write an article saying how old our list is and our average games played per player is the highest in the AFL and by insinuation we are the Dad's Army of the competition and have no hope.

(And btw Dad's Army is just about my all time favourite comedy series.)

I'm so down about our chances next year that I'm putting the house on us to win the spoon except I dont have a house because I lost it on betting that eSSSENDN would finish above us on the ladder this year.

This could be the making of really good team if Durdin and Nielson fire, or a vulnerable one if they don't!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back