The USA Sports Thread

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Was at the footy today and the three people in front of me were having the most annoying conversation. Two guys and a girl, early 20's talking about the NBA. The girl was getting stuck into the two guys saying that they are Lakers fans. And the guys response was he's the King. Where the King goes we follow. Of course she happens to be Golden State Warriors fan. Shocker. So then the boys get on her because she doesnt know what city the GSW are in or what state.

So then they ribbing her saying she isnt a true fan. Then saying well what if Curry and Durant left would you still support them.

So she is apparently a bandwagoner or at least they kept calling her one, despite the fact three months both those guys were Cleveland fans but now they are Lakers fans.

It took all my mental strength not to say something. Three kids talking about supporting LeBron James and the Golden State Warriors. * off. Not a Milwaukee Bucks or Utah Jazz fan amongst them??

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Was at the footy today and the three people in front of me were having the most annoying conversation. Two guys and a girl, early 20's talking about the NBA. The girl was getting stuck into the two guys saying that they are Lakers fans. And the guys response was he's the King. Where the King goes we follow. Of course she happens to be Golden State Warriors fan. Shocker. So then the boys get on her because she doesnt know what city the GSW are in or what state.

So then they ribbing her saying she isnt a true fan. Then saying well what if Curry and Durant left would you still support them.

So she is apparently a bandwagoner or at least they kept calling her one, despite the fact three months both those guys were Cleveland fans but now they are Lakers fans.

It took all my mental strength not to say something. Three kids talking about supporting LeBron James and the Golden State Warriors. **** off. Not a Milwaukee Bucks or Utah Jazz fan amongst them??
Were you actually expecting anything different?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

It took all my mental strength not to say something. Three kids talking about supporting LeBron James and the Golden State Warriors. **** off. Not a Milwaukee Bucks or Utah Jazz fan amongst them??
I’d have got up and moved, or left

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

At least you and I started supporting the Chicago Bulls for bandwagon reasons but they’ve been s**t for most of the last 20 years so it’s okay. :)

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Same. Would like to see that girl go through 20 years of crap Warriors teams when it happens. These young ones just don’t get it.
No love for the game. That's the problem. They want the status of it. Wear a Warriors shirt, post it up on Instagram. But they think Run TMC is a rap group.

I love the game. I love MJ and I love the Bulls. These young kids today are different. Really different.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Today, the Chicago Cubs have made a trade to acquire Daniel Murphy and the Washington Nationals gets Andruw Monasterio & cash or PTBNL (player to be named later). I am so surprised Murphy was allowed to reach the Cubs in a waiver trade. But I’ll take it, a hell of an acquisition.

Also, Bryce Harper has passed through waivers so he’s going to stay with the Nationals. Apparently a team claimed him (word is Dodgers or Astros) but a deal couldn’t be reached (guessing the deal was less valuable than what the compensation pick for Harper would be if they lost him to free agency) in time for the waiver period on him passed.

The Nationals can put Harper back on waivers but if they do a second time any team can claim him for free (minus Harper’s rest of year salary), so it’s not going to happen.

No love for the game. That's the problem. They want the status of it. Wear a Warriors shirt, post it up on Instagram. But they think Run TMC is a rap group.

I love the game. I love MJ and I love the Bulls. These young kids today are different. Really different.

None at all. All the teams I’ve ever supported have had years of not being very good but I would never ditch them for someone who is more successful. That is ridiculous to me and most other people.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
You've been a bit spoilt with Man U though.

Yeah, I have. Since the mid 90s to 2013. The last 5 years not so much. In that period a lot of people would just jump to another team and that is crazy to me. I couldn’t imagine not supporting United, Carlton or the Bulls just because there has been a few down years (quite a few in the cases of the Blues and Bulls). I know that talking about United not being very successful right now is a tad ridiculous since winning title after title wasn’t very long ago in the grand scheme of things.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yeah, I have. Since the mid 90s to 2013. The last 5 years not so much. In that period a lot of people would just jump to another team and that is crazy to me. I couldn’t imagine not supporting United, Carlton or the Bulls just because there has been a few down years (quite a few in the cases of the Blues and Bulls). I know that talking about United not being very successful right now is a tad ridiculous since winning title after title wasn’t very long ago in the grand scheme of things.
5 years seems a long time for United. Doesnt feel like you will win it again any time soon either. Our title drought goes on and I expect will go on with City being City.

West Coast have been pretty good to me. 3 flags and the Bulls, well I'll be forever thankful to the GOAT. But the last 20 years have been pretty s**t. What could have been if Rose didnt get hurt... :(

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
5 years seems a long time for United. Doesnt feel like you will win it again any time soon either. Our title drought goes on and I expect will go on with City being City.

Yeah, City are going to be good for a very long time. Their squad reminds me of how good Barcelona was for all those years when they had Messi, Iniesta and Xavi at their peaks. I can’t see anyone else winning the title this season and maybe for the foreseeable future.

West Coast have been pretty good to me. 3 flags and the Bulls, well I'll be forever thankful to the GOAT. But the last 20 years have been pretty s**t. What could have been if Rose didnt get hurt... :(

We had such a good chance with Rose. That 2010/11 season is going to live on in the memory forever. After losing the LeBron, Wade and Bosh off-season sweepstakes, Derrick “Why can’t I win the MVP?” Rose went to work and carried us so far. I am still bitter about the ECF’s that season where I felt the Heat were heavily favoured by the refs. The next season an equally as good regular season and then Rose gets injured and... we’ve been rebuilding for the next half decade. :(

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yeah, City are going to be good for a very long time. Their squad reminds me of how good Barcelona was for all those years when they had Messi, Iniesta and Xavi at their peaks. I can’t see anyone else winning the title this season and maybe for the foreseeable future.

We had such a good chance with Rose. That 2010/11 season is going to live on in the memory forever. After losing the LeBron, Wade and Bosh off-season sweepstakes, Derrick “Why can’t I win the MVP?” Rose went to work and carried us so far. I am still bitter about the ECF’s that season where I felt the Heat were heavily favoured by the refs. The next season an equally as good regular season and then Rose gets injured and... we’ve been rebuilding for the next half decade. :(
Yeah going to be tough to win the league in the forseeable future with City being how good they are. It's frustrating because we had a chance to win the league a few years ago only for City to beat us and now under Klopp I feel we have built our best team in a very long time and if City didnt exist, we would be hot favourites to win the league. But alas, they will most probably get in the way again. Frustrating but what can you do.

Yeah the Rose injury was a heartbreaker. Ruined the franchise for years. Because we kinda put everything on hold too while we tried to get him back from injury. Then in the end we realised he was never coming back and was never going to be the player he was so had to trade him for peanuts.

I didnt really like the Jimmy Butler trade either. Trade him sure, but why get back guys like Lavine and Dunn. They will help us win 35-40 games, maybe squeeze into the playoffs. But just trade Butler for picks and only picks. It's like GarPax are trying to rebuild but not really blow it up.

BLOW IT UP! Suck for a few years and then re-emerge with Simmons and Embiid type talent the way Philly have. Instead we are just gonna sit middle of the road and get nowhere. We need to hope Carter Jr is really good cos passing on a possible unicorn in Porter Jr could hurt us in the long run. I thought it was a safe pick when right now we can afford to gamble cos what do we have to lose?

Rant over haha.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yeah going to be tough to win the league in the forseeable future with City being how good they are. It's frustrating because we had a chance to win the league a few years ago only for City to beat us and now under Klopp I feel we have built our best team in a very long time and if City didnt exist, we would be hot favourites to win the league. But alas, they will most probably get in the way again. Frustrating but what can you do.

Yeah the Rose injury was a heartbreaker. Ruined the franchise for years. Because we kinda put everything on hold too while we tried to get him back from injury. Then in the end we realised he was never coming back and was never going to be the player he was so had to trade him for peanuts.

I didnt really like the Jimmy Butler trade either. Trade him sure, but why get back guys like Lavine and Dunn. They will help us win 35-40 games, maybe squeeze into the playoffs. But just trade Butler for picks and only picks. It's like GarPax are trying to rebuild but not really blow it up.

BLOW IT UP! Suck for a few years and then re-emerge with Simmons and Embiid type talent the way Philly have. Instead we are just gonna sit middle of the road and get nowhere. We need to hope Carter Jr is really good cos passing on a possible unicorn in Porter Jr could hurt us in the long run. I thought it was a safe pick when right now we can afford to gamble cos what do we have to lose?

Rant over haha.

The Rose injury was definitely a heartbreaker. And then the FO put faith in Rose with that 5 year, $95M contract and you just felt he was taking his time coming back from his injuries as he was getting life changing money which soured Bulls fans on Rose. Maybe a bit unfair but the guy did play 166 out of a possible 410 regular season games after he signed that contract. Derrick Rose became pretty much the model for “stealing a living”.

As for Butler, there were reports that the team were offered better packages for him than what they ended up accepting which is most likely the case. It is disgusting seeing the Bulls rebuild on GarPax’s watch. Surely management can do better after all this time than having two fruit loops at the helm.

BlueBen

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
What could have been if Rose didnt get hurt... :(

I've never been as upset about a sporting injury to one of my team's players as I was when Rose tore his ACL in that playoff game against Philadelphia. I was genuinely sad about it for days afterwards. Nothing before or since has really come close. And the Bulls are not and have never really been my number one sporting passion - still pretty strong, but not quite on a Carlton/Liverpool level. It's probably because unlike most other team sports where there are a lot more players on a team and no one player by himself is genuinely irreplaceable, the Bulls simply couldn't compete for a championship without Derrick Rose at his best, and as Bulls fans we knew that.

I still wonder to this day what might have been for both Rose and the Bulls, not only that season but in the years after, if Rose hadn't gone down in that game. One of the great sporting "what ifs".

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I've never been as upset about a sporting injury to one of my team's players as I was when Rose tore his ACL in that playoff game against Philadelphia. I was genuinely sad about it for days afterwards. Nothing before or since has really come close. And the Bulls are not and have never really been my number one sporting passion - still pretty strong, but not quite on a Carlton/Liverpool level. It's probably because unlike most other team sports where there are a lot more players on a team and no one player by himself is genuinely irreplaceable, the Bulls simply couldn't compete for a championship without Derrick Rose at his best, and as Bulls fans we knew that.

I still wonder to this day what might have been for both Rose and the Bulls, not only that season but in the years after, if Rose hadn't gone down in that game. One of the great sporting "what ifs".
It's a big what if because Butler wasnt Jimmy Buckets quite yet. But if Rose stays healthy and Butler became the player he is. We would had that genuine big time sidekick to Rose. We could have won a championship.

Rose and Grant Hill are the two big what if's for me.

Going to the NFL at Wembley in a few weeks.

Anyone been to one of these before? Imagine the atmosphere is very different but I'm still excited. First time I've been to a game at any level, and I'll finally get to see my team (Raiders) live.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Going to the NFL at Wembley in a few weeks.

Anyone been to one of these before? Imagine the atmosphere is very different but I'm still excited. First time I've been to a game at any level, and I'll finally get to see my team (Raiders) live.
Thinking I’ll do the same. Haven’t picked up tickets yet but will pay big money for some so think I’ll be fine.

Back