The USA Sports Thread

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Just cant see it. Bridges werent just burned, they then bombed, crushed, gathered up into dust and spread into the sea. Then where the bridge was new things were build in its place and for good measure they burnt them down too.

Will be crazy if he ever suits up for Philly again.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Pretty big story this.

isn't he on a $100m+ contract. Assuming he gets paid out I doubt he'll give two shits. The media will forget his indiscretions and he'll be back as an analyst in no time. Have you heard about the Urban Meyer stuff?

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
isn't he on a $100m+ contract. Assuming he gets paid out I doubt he'll give two shits. The media will forget his indiscretions and he'll be back as an analyst in no time. Have you heard about the Urban Meyer stuff?
Yeah depends if he gets paid out because he quit I suppose.

I did see a lot of Jon Gruden and Urban Meyer memes yesterday. Doubt Jacksonville wins a game under Urban.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
This is such a funny and totally dumb saga. Ben Simmons really isn’t worth the time.
I kinda feel for Simmons. It's his coach, his teammates. You guys are all supposed to have his back. Yes does he not shoot three's, yes did he dodge a dunk and the threat of going to the foul line. He has limitations as a player and it cost you in a playoff game. But then his coach, his teammates and the whole city of Philadelphia threw him under the bus.

I wouldnt want to go and play for Doc or play with Embiid or play for those fans either.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I kinda feel for Simmons. It's his coach, his teammates. You guys are all supposed to have his back. Yes does he not shoot three's, yes did he dodge a dunk and the threat of going to the foul line. He has limitations as a player and it cost you in a playoff game. But then his coach, his teammates and the whole city of Philadelphia threw him under the bus.

I wouldnt want to go and play for Doc or play with Embiid or play for those fans either.

The worst part is that he should have already been traded by now. We are on the eve of the season and they have someone that if he suits up for Philadelphia in any regular season game, he is likely to take no shots, dish out s**t passes and just run the shot clock down if he’s got the ball. You can’t have someone like that in October when he should have been traded in July or August.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Philly wants a star in return for him, doubt they'll get one unless someone like Beal says he's not resigning with the Wizards etc.

That’s certainly hopeful. No one is trading a star for a player of questionable character and professionalism. Philadelphia needs to lower their asking price.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Philly have given up on him and then trying to say we only want an all star in return. Well you clearly dont value Simmons so why are you trying to get the world back in return.

The organisation ****ed this up so badly by throwing him under the bus. They didnt lose that series because of Ben Simmons. They lost that series as a team. Doc trying to save his job throws Simmons under the bus and Embiid trying to avoid criticism throws him teammate under the bus.

Then the way the city and the fans have gone at him.

Simmons has limitations as a player. He struggles from the FT line and he does not shoot threes. EVERY single player in the league has limitations, lots of players are great at some stuff and bad at other stuff but for Simmons weaknesses to be so publicised is ridiculous.

He's an elite defender, Curry not so much, Young not so much, but both those guys can shoot three's and FT's. So why for example are their weaknesses not being exposed by the press.

For me it's been an incredible witch hunt by the media. I follow all those US sports shows and every single day this summer they have been talking about Ben Simmons. It's never ending. His mental health must be down the drain.

Philly have given up on him and then trying to say we only want an all star in return. Well you clearly dont value Simmons so why are you trying to get the world back in return.

The organisation f’ed this up so badly by throwing him under the bus. They didnt lose that series because of Ben Simmons. They lost that series as a team. Doc trying to save his job throws Simmons under the bus and Embiid trying to avoid criticism throws him teammate under the bus.

Then the way the city and the fans have gone at him.

Simmons has limitations as a player. He struggles from the FT line and he does not shoot threes. EVERY single player in the league has limitations, lots of players are great at some stuff and bad at other stuff but for Simmons weaknesses to be so publicised is ridiculous.

He's an elite defender, Curry not so much, Young not so much, but both those guys can shoot three's and FT's. So why for example are their weaknesses not being exposed by the press.

For me it's been an incredible witch hunt by the media. I follow all those US sports shows and every single day this summer they have been talking about Ben Simmons. It's never ending. His mental health must be down the drain.
Avoiding a dunk and paint so you don’t fouled and your weakness exposed is pretty bad especially if you want to be PG. On that money he should be taking more responsibility.

Also he knocked back the Boomers Olympics campaign because he wanted to work on his game. Soon after there he was at Wimbledon with his gf. Training by yourself and releasing videos of shooting threes with no pressure doesn’t cut it. Would’ve been better off practicing at the Olympics.
In five years his FT shooting has not improved and gone backwards. He’s too consumed with his own stats and All Star selection. Doesn’t appear to be a team player

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Avoiding a dunk and paint so you don’t fouled and your weakness exposed is pretty bad especially if you want to be PG. On that money he should be taking more responsibility.

Also he knocked back the Boomers Olympics campaign because he wanted to work on his game. Soon after there he was at Wimbledon with his gf. Training by yourself and releasing videos of shooting threes with no pressure doesn’t cut it. Would’ve been better off practicing at the Olympics.
In five years his FT shooting has not improved and gone backwards. He’s too consumed with his own stats and All Star selection. Doesn’t appear to be a team player
I'm not arguing against any of that. But improving something is difficult if you're just a bit s**t at it. Shaq had 20 years in the league to improve his FT shooting and he couldnt do it. Even a bloke like LeBron who is one of the best players of all time and works on his game constantly has not been able to improve his FT shooting throughout his career. His rookie season he shot .754, his last three seasons in LA... .665, .693, .698.

Free throw shooting is a weird thing, it's mechanics and form and often where you start is where you finish. There hasnt been many guys who shoot poorly from the line suddenly turn into .850 from the foul line. So the flak he cops IMO is not really warranted.

He's a bad FT shooter. That's it. He doesnt shoot threes. That's it. He like every player in the league has strengths and weaknesses. He's one of the best defenders in the world, he's a great passer of the ball, he's big and strong, can rebound, has high IQ, walking triple double, unstoppable when down hill... so lots of strengths and two really shitty weaknesses.

Should he have dunked the ball, absolutely, more so because even if he thinks he will be fouled he's big and strong enough to finish and just get a free hit at the line for an and one. I also agree he should have played at the Olympics and that was s**t that he didnt. IMO he just wanted to escape out of the public eye and needed an excuse so went with "working on his game"

I dont think Simmons is innocent in all this but the witch hunt in the media and the way his coach and teammates threw him under the bus was terrible. I understand why he doesnt want to play in Philly.

I'm not arguing against any of that. But improving something is difficult if you're just a bit sh*t at it. Shaq had 20 years in the league to improve his FT shooting and he couldnt do it. Even a bloke like LeBron who is one of the best players of all time and works on his game constantly has not been able to improve his FT shooting throughout his career. His rookie season he shot .754, his last three seasons in LA... .665, .693, .698.

Free throw shooting is a weird thing, it's mechanics and form and often where you start is where you finish. There hasnt been many guys who shoot poorly from the line suddenly turn into .850 from the foul line. So the flak he cops IMO is not really warranted.

He's a bad FT shooter. That's it. He doesnt shoot threes. That's it. He like every player in the league has strengths and weaknesses. He's one of the best defenders in the world, he's a great passer of the ball, he's big and strong, can rebound, has high IQ, walking triple double, unstoppable when down hill... so lots of strengths and two really shitty weaknesses.

Should he have dunked the ball, absolutely, more so because even if he thinks he will be fouled he's big and strong enough to finish and just get a free hit at the line for an and one. I also agree he should have played at the Olympics and that was sh*t that he didnt. IMO he just wanted to escape out of the public eye and needed an excuse so went with "working on his game"

I dont think Simmons is innocent in all this but the witch hunt in the media and the way his coach and teammates threw him under the bus was terrible. I understand why he doesnt want to play in Philly.
Shaq didn’t shirk to avoid fouls though. Agree Rivers comments were poor last season

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Shaq didn’t shirk to avoid fouls though. Agree Rivers comments were poor last season
No he didnt, he took the fouls and missed all the FT's. Haha.

Rivers probably coached poorly. Close game down the stretch maybe take Simmons off and run Curry, Thybulle, Green, Harris and Embiid.

The whole situation has been handled extremely poorly though.

Back