Health The Value of Jesus/God in Your Life

Remove this Banner Ad

Intangibles vs tangibles.
Can the concept of a soul be empirically quantified?
Or a moral standpoint?
Or even a simple memory?
To believe in anything is to stand on a line not always signposted and photographed.
Wow, sir. That's so beautifully expressed. If only I could 'react' to it :(

I don't know anything about the latter, but calling GG's cause the same as mine is a stretch.
True.
GG.exe is also somewhat fluid in his thinking.
In point of fact he is three YouTube clips away from starting a thread next week titled 'Satanism- is it getting a bad rap?'

darthbards is a dedicated earth scientist who specializes in the field of the anti-spherical.

As you are a participant in the song contest The Speaker what are your thoughts on secular music? I grew up in a conservative religious environment which basically saw secular music as from the devil. A lot of my friends weren't allowed to listen to it. Luckily my parents weren't as strict and were fine with us listening to it, as long as we kept the volume down.

As you are a participant in the song contest The Speaker what are your thoughts on secular music? I grew up in a conservative religious environment which basically saw secular music as from the devil. A lot of my friends weren't allowed to listen to it. Luckily my parents weren't as strict and were fine with us listening to it, as long as we kept the volume down.

Music is, like all pleasures, a God-given gift to us that he wants us to enjoy with wisdom. If there is any genre that could be argued to be 'evil' in itself, it would be metal, particularly the harsher end of it, but ultimately I think lyrics are what matters, rather than sound. Even then, I think there is value in songs that say things I may disagree with or be ambivalent about (as long as they're good songs).

Music and the Reformation had a bit of a complex relationship, but it often boiled down to this: the Catholic Church would use music in a way that the reformers saw as obfuscating God's word and not truly using to worship God. Therefore, particularly to Calvin (and I believe Knox as well), they needed to do the opposite, and classified instruments like the organ in the same category as images and idols. Luther, on the other hand, loved music and I think had the best and most Biblical theology of it, because he recognised that it was a gift given by God, as are all the arts.

It is particularly disappointing that most 'Christian' music played on radio stations today is so bland, over-produced and copying the sound of whatever's going on in the pop world. There's no real value in ordinary, forgettable music, with uninteresting sounds and words.

Keith Green was amazing. I still listen to his music occasionally, even though I consider myself agnostic these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't bother reading the thread because I already know all of the 'arguments' (i.e. parroted mantras).

The reality is that people who have faith in something bigger than themselves tend to be happier and more content with their lives.

This only makes the edgy 'atheists' even madder. Lol.

I say this as somebody who was not raised in a religious household and still does not view himself as religious.

Won't bother reading the thread because I already know all of the 'arguments' (i.e. parroted mantras).

The reality is that people who have faith in something bigger than themselves tend to be happier and more content with their lives.

This only makes the edgy 'atheists' even madder. Lol.

I say this as somebody who was not raised in a religious household and still does not view himself as religious.

What makes atheists 'mad' is that we have to entertain their superstitious, existential nonsense.

If you (royal) want to believe in man on a cloud nonsense go ahead, but don't expect me to (a) go along with it, and (b) give you a free pass on anything because you own a book you can steal from any motel.

What makes atheists 'mad' is that we have to entertain their superstitious, existential nonsense.

If you (royal) want to believe in man on a cloud nonsense go ahead, but don't expect me to (a) go along with it, and (b) give you a free pass on anything because you own a book you can steal from any motel.

Oh, yeah....You mad.

Intangibles vs tangibles.
Can the concept of a soul be empirically quantified?
Or a moral standpoint?
Or even a simple memory?
To believe in anything is to stand on a line not always signposted and photographed.

Agnosticism is the only answer when those to each side demand empirical proof that may never ever present itself and leaps of faith seem in themselves nonsensical.

Agnosticism is the only answer when those to each side demand empirical proof that may never ever present itself and leaps of faith seem in themselves nonsensical.

Irreligion is the only answer.

(A)gnosticism and (A)theism are sometimes presented as a spectrum, similar to the left/right-authoritarian/libertarian political compass. I don't agree with it personally but I can see why people look at it that way. If you are a theist you believe, if you an atheist you don't. That's about as simply as you can break it down. IMO being agnostic is sort of an each way bet with nothing at stake.

It's possible to believe in a god or gods and be irreligious. It's possible to not believe in a god or gods and be irreligious. If you say things like 'God created the world, it's all right here in his book' you open yourself up to criticism, just like when you start pinning your own actions on what you read in the same book. That's not apples with apples to not buying into the existence of any of the deities on offer.

You can ignore that little voice in your head all you like, it will remain there.

You're far too intelligent to be a Dawkins-tier 'atheist' and we both know it.

I'm not a "Dawkins-tier" anything. I don't agonise over what caused the big bang and why are we here. I'm here and I've got anywhere from a couple of seconds to maybe 50 years left and then I'm done. There's a good chance the origin of the universe and purpose of man won't be known by the time I'm worm food (if ever) so why worry about it? There's enough good in the world to appreciate without fixating on what happens next (i.e. nothing AFAIC).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back