Unsolved The vanishing of businesswoman Melissa Caddick - NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Melissa Caddick was last seen at her multi-million dollar home on November 12, a day after it was raided by the Australian Federal Police.

She walked out of her house on a morning run without her keys, purse or phone and simply vanished. Adding to the intrigue, the SMH reported the AFP had removed the hard drive for her security cameras through the raid. Given the allegations she's facing which includes the misappropriation of millions of dollars from friends and associates, it might be easy to assume she's taken her own life however her barrister has told the Federal Court the matter was now a murder investigation.

The police only today called for the public's assistance with dashcam and CCTV of eight particular streets and areas, more specifically around Wallangra Road, Dover Road, Military Road, Rodney Street, Lyons Street, Hardy Street, Napier Street and Portland Street.

Caddick is described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 165cm tall, of slim build, with long brown hair. At the time she was wearing a black singlet top and leggings, and silver Nike sneakers.

Anyone with information about her whereabouts is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Caddick has had a few months to get a plan up, her bank accounts and assets were only frozen in the week prior to the raid on her house.

Friends and investors have told the Herald that since August Ms Caddick may have been aware she was under investigation. She had already erased herself from Facebook and Instagram and in September she began an extensive file shredding operation. However, this did not stop her from accepting another $500,000 investment that month.

the most likely two options (based on nothing but gut feel and my own personal opinion):

a) she committed suicide

b) she has been murdered (probably by someone very close to her seeking to protect their lifestyle, rather than by an aggrieved ‘investor’)

i’d lean towards b

Article in The Age today suggests her offending may have started as early as 2009.

Also that victims included friends of 25 years standing and her own brother.

It would be hard to disappear off the grid in this day and age, especially with COVID restrictions, but I think this woman would be able to do it if anyone could:
- persuasive liar
- access to many millions in misappropriated funds
- lots of time which could have been used setting up an alternative identity, obtaining ID documents, opening new bank accounts
- presumably the financial know how to transfer money in small enough transactions and in a way between accounts that will make it difficult to trace
- COVID may even work in her favour as people aren’t going to be so suspicious of someone keeping their distance and wearing a facemask making her hard to recognise

Cops probably regretting they didn’t detain her when they had the chance. They probably need a bit of luck now to get on her trail again.

Reckon she’s probably been smart enough to get out of NSW, maybe even out of Australia. She liked to holiday in Aspen. Reckon she’d want to get to the USA, probably California somewhere. Or Florida. Spend a few years lying low and establishing trust with new community. In a few years time with probably be in a position to start a new grift if funds start to run low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article in The Age today suggests her offending may have started as early as 2009.

Also that victims included friends of 25 years standing and her own brother.

It would be hard to disappear off the grid in this day and age, especially with COVID restrictions, but I think this woman would be able to do it if anyone could:
- persuasive liar
- access to many millions in misappropriated funds
- lots of time which could have been used setting up an alternative identity, obtaining ID documents, opening new bank accounts
- presumably the financial know how to transfer money in small enough transactions and in a way between accounts that will make it difficult to trace
- COVID may even work in her favour as people aren’t going to be so suspicious of someone keeping their distance and wearing a facemask making her hard to recognise

Cops probably regretting they didn’t detain her when they had the chance. They probably need a bit of luck now to get on her trail again.

Reckon she’s probably been smart enough to get out of NSW, maybe even out of Australia. She liked to holiday in Aspen. Reckon she’d want to get to the USA, probably California somewhere. Or Florida. Spend a few years lying low and establishing trust with new community. In a few years time with probably be in a position to start a new grift if funds start to run low.

No chance she left Aus. Just way too hard to travel out of the country unless she went to NZ

the subtext of this mornings article was the toy boy is balls deep in this in more ways than one - in my opinion

I was just catching up with that. He has $1.95 in his commonwealth bank account which seems a bit shabby given the lifestyle. The court had to tell him to report his wife as missing.

For more than 30 hours Anthony Koletti, the husband of missing Sydney woman Melissa Caddick, didn’t tell her family or police that his wife had vanished without taking her phone or wallet.

“The f---wit hasn’t told us anything,” Ms Caddick’s brother Adam Grimley told a family friend when she rang him just after 4pm on Friday, November 13.

Ms Caddick had been required to hand in her passport by 4pm on Thursday, November 12 and to turn up to court via video link at 9.45am the next day.

She did neither. When Justice Jayne Jagot resumed the hearing that Friday morning, Mr Koletti informed the court that his wife was missing and he didn’t know where she was. He was advised to alert the police, which he did about noon that day. He also informed her family.

Especially with covid restrictions. The chances of her escaping interstate let alone overseas seem extremely slim.

Tony Mokbel was pretty much the most wanted man in Australia and he managed to get out. Its not impossible, but i would imagine this woman would have been more likely to travel on someone else's passport etc. I think its likely she is still in the country (if she is alive).

you would think this woman does not have the criminal network mokbel did which would make it easier to get herself out of the country and exist off the record.

by all reports this woman was running a very unsophisticated scheme that was simply photo shopping commsec statements - she was even telling people which companies she had invested their money in.

i suspect she was not clever enough to plan her exit when this inevitably blew up - and covid made a simple run strategy even more difficult.

my strong suspicion is she will turn up dead rather than living it up in the bahamas with her clients’ money.

surprised this worked for as long as it did. but i suppose smsf is a perfect ground for scammers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back