Unsolved The vanishing of businesswoman Melissa Caddick - NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

People on facebook groups are seriously saying she may have cut her own foot off and thrown it in the water...
Some lady even told me it easy to do with an axe..

I guess she's technically correct. It's easy to lop your own foot off with an axe. It's the stopping yourself bleeding to death or developing a life threatening infection when you're not a qualified surgeon that's the tricky part

A couple of theories appearing at last .
Like that number 2 option Steve the dude talking about .

The plot might be thickening with the progress of decomp not seeming to tally with her dying on the morning she left to go running. I like it that Xanthe (criminologist) isn't making the assumption she's definitely dead but I'd be shocked if she wasn't.

Interesting researchers have thrown floating markers in to the water to track and see where they end up, we've been saying for years they should have done that when Julie Cutler's car was dumped in the sea at Cottesloe, even if most of us were pretty sure she wasn't in it at the time. I don't understand why they threw the markers further north in at Newcastle though and not at Dover Heights, what's up with that?

The plot might be thickening with the progress of decomp not seeming to tally with her dying on the morning she left to go running. I like it that Xanthe isn't making the assumption she's definitely dead but I'd be shocked if she wasn't.

Interesting researchers have thrown floating markers in to the water to track and see where they end up, we've been saying for years they should have done that when Julie Cutler's car was dumped in the sea at Cottesloe, even if most of us were pretty sure she wasn't in it at the time. I don't understand why they threw the markers further north in at Newcastle though and not at Dover Heights, what's up with that?

I say this with no education or reading on the subject at all, but maybe it has something to do with it being March and she went missing in November?

The markers had nothing to do with MC . They were just studying the currents. This happens all the time with studies by oceanographers.

"Even after drifting for three years in
corrosive salt water, the shoes remained surprisingly supple and wearable; teenagers can do much more damage to them in one year than the sea did in three. Like seabirds, the sneakers easily rode out storms. I studied their floatability up close, in a hotel spa. Once they became saturated, the sneakers floated upside down, their soles even with the water surface; the high tops of my size-12 Flights cut the water below like the keels of sailing ships, their laces twirling like a jellyfish’s tentacles. At sea, these tough soles would protect the softer fabric from biting birds and bleaching sun."

Nike runners float upside down.
So they were lucky to have found some bones in the shoe I guess.

"After a month at sea, the first float, named Physalito (after Physalia the bluebottle), ended up on the beach in Jervis Bay (Figure 1). The beaching occurred smoothly, providing valuable information on ocean and wind conditions leading to its arrival to shore. Fortunately, Jeff Miller, skipper of the Bombora, volunteered for the rescue mission. With the help of the ranger and the support of the local military, Physalito was recovered intact.

A week later, following a few days of strong onshore winds, the two other drifters landed. Physalita washed up on the beach in Worimi National Park, where she was picked up by NPWS rangers, while the 3rd float, Tito, made its way into a narrow gully in the rocks north of Wollongong. Thanks to the help of these local organisations, all three floats are now en-route for another deployment, and hopefully more of this rare data on what causes beaching events."

Check this out if interested in the study of the "satellite tracking drifters"
This is the actual study they are talking about!

This was posted by an expert surf forecaster on another website.

"Those surfing would have been aware of the warm tongue of the East Australian Current that projected back down that way, but looking at the currents from November 13th from when she was reported missing, it looks like the body could have drifted first south, then back north, east and then pushed down into the South Coast."

Picture 1.
November, current initially flowing south mid-month but reversed back north and then pushes into the warm core eddy some distant east of Sydney.

Pic 2.
December likely fair way offshore in that tongue extending in a south-west direction towards Jervis Bay.

Pic 3.
January, the tongue pushes into the far South Coast.

Last edited:

"You can't assume somebody's deceased through the loss of a foot, because you can still survive it," she said, adding that the likelihood of Ms Caddick still being alive was "very low".

"But judging on the evidence we currently have, police cannot afford to assume that [she's dead] and therefore they will have to be investigating every possibility at this stage."

I might have speed watched that clip by skipping a little bit and missed the point ....
You got Xanthe name which i didnt notice and i watched it 3 times!

The way they said there was drifters released did not clarify that it was a study by oceanographers. You would have to be aware of the purpose of drifters to understand what they were talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Dr Orde said scientists now believed the construction of the modern running shoe provides both protection and buoyancy, enabling the foot to travel greater distances than would be normally expected. He said the decomposing feet were often found “many, many miles” from where they first entered the water.

Police plan to search waters again near missing business woman's home in Dover Heights.

“One of the theories is that those running shoes, by virtues of the air pockets in them, are quite buoyant,” Dr Orde said.

It comes as scepticism mounts within police circles as to the time and manner of the Dover Heights woman’s death.

Assistant Commissioner Mick Willing said on Friday modelling of tides and drift patterns by police indicated it was possible Ms Caddick’s remains could have drifted to Bournda Beach, near Tathra."

"Something in the water for that long, say a bit of flotsam or jetsam that washes onto the shore, has got green growth on it,” Superintendent Joe McNulty, Commander of the NSW Marine Command, told The Daily Telegraph.

“At first examination the shoe doesn’t appear to have been in the water for three months. The shoe needs extensive analysis to see how long it was in the water. It’s a vital clue where hopefully marine biology can provide some answers."

"One of Australia’s leading criminal psychologists has made the startling claim that it’s “more likely” Melissa Caddick was murdered than she took her own life.

Tim Watson-Munro says it’s possible the Sydney fraudster was killed by an accomplice, one of her victims or someone after her millions."

60 minutes was interesting...
From what i understood it sounds like the majority of the shareholder money is sitting in a stock portfolio under her company Maliver. I think its likely she didn't actually spend much of this money, rather she kept it invested and collected all the dividends that came along. With a $25M portfolio you would roughly rake $1M PA which would be more than enough to pay for such a lavish lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back