Opinion The velvet sledgehammer

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn people really cry about that Sewell incident don't they :) (Brent Guerra did this all the time for St Kilda and Hawthorn)

Was a fantastic bump and not as bad as what many have made it out to be. That was the game back then. You go for the ball, be prepared to cop a heavy hit doing so. Lloyd copped plenty of cheap shots from defenders over his career.
Champion player.

Hawthorn people really cry about that Sewell incident don't they :) (Brent Guerra did this all the time for St Kilda and Hawthorn)

Was a fantastic bump and not as bad as what many have made it out to be. That was the game back then. You go for the ball, be prepared to cop a heavy hit doing so. Lloyd copped plenty of cheap shots from defenders over his career.
Champion player.

He bolted in to impact the contest and disregarded any care whatsoever. He got Sewell high and copped a lengthy suspension.

* me though, some of the carry on about it is just hilarious. People refer to it as sniping and a cheap shot.

Lol... this is the club that produced Don Scott, Leigh Matthews, Dermie, Dipper and Campbell Brown.

Last edited:
He bolted in to impact the contest and disregarded any care whatsoever. He got Sewell high and copped a lengthy suspension.

fu** me though, some of the carry on about it is just hilarious. People refer to it as sniping and a cheap shot.

Lol... this is the club that produced Don Scott, Leigh Matthews, Dermie, Dipper and Campbell Brown.
It's the Hawthorn way. Okay for their lot to throw their weight around but anyone dare give it back the other way they can't cop it. Been sooking about Essendon since the early 80s.

31 was way to young to be retiring as a gun FF.

Unfortunately Essendon sucked from 2005 on wards and Matthew Knights' insistence of playing him up the ground robbed him of his twilight years.
No, he was done. Playing up the ground was never going to work but he was a shadow of the player he was by 09. That major hamstring injury was an awful injury. His 07-08 seasons were okay but he lost his pace off the mark. From memory he missed 3 or 4 games in the lead up to his final game v Hawthorn and he really battled to get up for that game.

Champion player.

Yeah, nah.

Firstly, this was 2009, not 1989 - the shirtfront had been dead and buried for years by then.

Secondly, not a 'good bump' at all. Sewell had his head over the ball and looked up to lloyd making full contact with his face, knocking him out cold before he hit the ground. It was also planned at halftime cos Lloyd was completely ineffective and not a result of two players going hard at the ball like most of the 'good bumps' of yesteryear.

Finally, the Hawthorn crying is as much contextual as anything. Lloyd had a long history of sniping when it came to Hawthorn, usually targeting young, small or reserved players. The line in the sand game was said to be a response to this behaviour from particular players, Lloyd chief among them. He also caved in Josh Thurgoods face, a very slightly built rookie in his 3rd game, using a reinforced armguard to crush both of the kids cheekbones. In all 3 instances, he would then hide behind other players and keep flopping to the ground at the slightest contact, often earning himself free kicks. In fact, his diving became quite famous.

With all of that said, it really is time Hawthorn supporters moved on (that part I agree with). Despite the above, the guy was an absolute gun. One of the best marks and kicks for goal I have ever seen and I feel he is generally underrated as an all-time great.

I think it is easy to forget how good players were, with the last years cementing in people's brains. Lloyd is definitely one of those.

I feel GAJ is another great's legacy being pulled back to the pack.

I think last year and the first half of the previous year did a lot to restore it. He probably should have been in the all australian team at 34 playing a role he hadn’t played for 13 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

31 was way to young to be retiring as a gun FF.

Unfortunately Essendon sucked from 2005 on wards and Matthew Knights' insistence of playing him up the ground robbed him of his twilight years.

why did he not consider other clubs? or did he?

No, he was done. Playing up the ground was never going to work but he was a shadow of the player he was by 09. That major hamstring injury was an awful injury. His 07-08 seasons were okay but he lost his pace off the mark. From memory he missed 3 or 4 games in the lead up to his final game v Hawthorn and he really battled to get up for that game.

I don’t think he was totally done - he had a bit more left - but there’s no doubt the hammy was a shocker. He was still basically in his prime, too. He’d only just turned 28, had kicked 12 in the first 2 rounds and already had 760 career goals to his name.

He’d come back in ripper shape after a quieter 2005 and had the captaincy too. He kicked six in the first quarter of the season, giving Leo Barry and the reigning premiers a bath.

To come back and kick 62 in both 2007 and 2008 in s**t sides was a very good effort though.

The end comes quickly.

Played partially in an era of strategic naivety, before modern defensive tactics existed, when traditional but archaic playing positions could thrive. Was a great man on man player then, could burn off anyone for a lead and was an elite dead eye dick. In transition into the modern era tactically his goal tallies predictably declined (like any full forwards of the past would have - modern tactics have made the traditional FF obsolete), but he was still a accurate kick and could find the right leading patterns amongst the congestion.

Despite silly claims earlier in this thread, never really had any hope of holding a candle to Plugger, 695 goals in his first 10 seasons is impressive however, Lockett 789 goals, Dunstall in 10 seasons had kicked 1,011 goals.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back