Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong of 2023 won’t be too dissimilar to Geelong of 2012. Yes they will make the finals but after a decade of making so many prelims and a GF a couple of years back, for some of the players it will like mission accomplished. Those champions at the very pointy end of their careers even if they are absolutely hungry for one more, I just can’t see their bodies hold up and/or maintain reasonable speed.
Your mob carry on like they won the flag after regular season games, they thought it was mission accomplished at round 9…. Coach even calls them winners, when they lose

1. Melbourne
2. Geelong
3. Sydney
4. Richmond
5. Brisbane
6. WB
7. Port
8. Carlton
9. Collingwood
10. Fremantle
11. St Kilda
12. Essendon
13. Adelaide
14. GWS
15. Gold Coast
16. West Coast
17. Hawthorn
18. North Melbourne

Last edited:
Every year since the anchors started the rebuild in 2016.
Everyone expects us to go backwards because of loss of players, s**t loads of injuries, coach change, draw and the rest.
Fact: 2016-2022 freo have never gone backwards.
Enjoyed looking back at my 22 predictions where I had freo 5th and blues out the 8 and got lots of lols and thumbs downs from the faithful.
I will wait to after trade draft before I put my neck on the line.

I wonder if there is any other team in world sport where the gulf between pre-season predictions/expectations and what they actually deliver in reality is so vast?

It really is an amazing phenomenon.
You’re just jealous your team doesn’t have Cripps, McKay, Curnow, Walsh

Here are my predictions for the 2023 AFL Season:

The Ladder

1. Brisbane Lions
  2. Fremantle Dockers
  3. Melbourne Demons
  4. Sydney Swans
  5. Geelong Cats
  6. Collingwood Magpies
  7. Carlton Blues
  8. Gold Coast Suns
  9. St Kilda Saints
  10. Richmond Tigers
  11. Port Adelaide Power
  12. Adelaide Crows
  13. Hawthorn Hawks
  14. Western Bulldogs
  15. Essendon Bombers
  16. West Coast Eagles
  17. North Melbourne Kangaroos
  18. Greater Western Sydney Giants

Finals Week 1

Qualifying Final 1:

Brisbane Lions: 98 (14.14)

Sydney Swans: 93 (14.9)

Elimination Final 1:

Geelong Cats: 110 (16.14)

Gold Coast Suns: 52 (7.10)

Qualifying Final 2:

Fremantle Dockers: 69 (10.9)

Melbourne Demons: 81 (12.9)

Elimination Final 2:

Collingwood Magpies: 75 (11.9)

Carlton Blues: 79 (12.7)

(Jack Silvagni kicks a goal after the siren to win it for Carlton)

Finals Week 2

Semi Final 1:

Sydney Swans: 82 (12.10)

Carlton Blues: 90 (13.12)

Semi Final 2:

Fremantle Dockers: 86 (13.8)

Geelong Cats: 67 (9.13)

Finals Week 3

Preliminary Final 1:

Brisbane Lions: 85 (12.13)

Fremantle Dockers: 84 (12.12)

Preliminary Final 2:

Melbourne Demons: 91 (13.13)

Carlton Blues: 95 (14.11)

Grand Final

QT:

Carlton Blues: 27 (4.3)

Brisbane Lions: 34 (5.4)

HT:

Carlton Blues: 49 (7.7)

Brisbane Lions: 57 (8.9)

3QT:

Carlton Blues: 72 (10.12)

Brisbane Lions: 86 (12.14)

15:00:

Carlton Blues: 78 (11.12)

Brisbane Lions: 87 (12.15)

10:00:

Carlton Blues: 85 (12.13)

Brisbane Lions: 89 (12.17)

5:00:

Carlton Blues: 93 (13.15)

Brisbane Lions: 96 (13.18)

2:00:

Carlton Blues: 99 (14.15)

Brisbane Lions: 103 (14.19)

FT:

Carlton Blues: 105 (15.15)

Brisbane Lions: 103 (14.19)

Charlie Curnow kicks a clutch goal from 53m on a 45° angle in the last 90 seconds of the match

Highest goal kicker: Charlie Curnow (5)

Accolades

Brownlow Medal:

Sam Walsh (30 votes)

Norm Smith Medal:

Patrick Cripps (34 disposals, 3 goals)

Coleman Medal:

Charlie Curnow (70 goals)

Team Achievements

Minor Premiers: Brisbane Lions (1st Minor Premiership)

Premiers: Carlton Blues (17th Premiership)

Wooden Spoon: Greater Western Sydney Giants (3rd Wooden Spoon)

Biggest Climber: Brisbane Lions (+5 ladder spots)

Biggest Faller: Western Bulldogs (-6 ladder spots)

(Actual Brownlow: Paddy Dow and Lachlan Plowman tie with 31 votes each)

I did this for a bit of fun, maybe a bit biased since I’m a Carlton supporter but I tried my best. Next year is a hard one to predict, especially this early into the pre-season. Have a good day.

Can I borrow your Sports Almanac when you're done?

You’re just jealous your team doesn’t have Cripps, McKay, Curnow, Walsh
And this is EXACTLY why people like you get seduced into Carlton every off season.

Meanwhile, teams like Collingwood are perennially underrated because whilst our top end may not be as attractive as other clubs, we bat deeper than most. Hence our regular top 4 finishes in recent times.

So, no I'm not jealous than Carlton are always overrated and always underdeliver, whilst my own team are regularly underrated yet I continue to watch them at the pointy end more often than not..

And this is EXACTLY why people like you get seduced into Carlton every off season.

Meanwhile, teams like Collingwood are perennially underrated because whilst our top end may not be as attractive as other clubs, we bat deeper than most. Hence our regular top 4 finishes in recent times.

So, no I'm not jealous than Carlton are always overrated and always underdeliver, whilst my own team are regularly underrated yet I continue to watch them at the pointy end more often than not..
Don’t worry Fadge I am jealous of their fab four too.

We lost our most important player in Selwood. Please just appreciate Pendlebury as long as he’s still around.

I wonder if there is any other team in world sport where the gulf between pre-season predictions/expectations and what they actually deliver in reality is so vast?

It really is an amazing phenomenon.

Dees coming 17th in 2019 right after a 2018 prelim was pretty bad. Not sure if there has been worse. But whole club wise yeah probs Blues.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just a quick question to those putting Richmond outside the 8, why do you think we will be worse even though we’ll be adding Taranto and Hopper? None of our good older players retired and players like Bolton are entering their prime as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Fremantle
2. Cats
3. Collingwood
4. Melbourne
5. Swans
6. Carlton
7. Richmond
8. Lions
9. Port
10. Bulldogs
11. Gc
12. St Kilda
13. Gws
14. Hawks
15. Dons
16. Adelaide
17. North
18. WCE

Not being biased - but the only 2 i would be confident ( and put money on ) to make the Top 4 are Geelong and Richmond

Tigers wernt too far away - they totally stuffed about 5 games which they narrowly lost - and they have got some nice recruits coming in - in positions they need

Geel - even with the aged list - but none of them have hit the wall - i think they will just rock up again - win enough games and get in the top 4

Coll were terrific - could have easily won the flag - but they have to back that up

Syd and Bris both lost their last final by 80pts - that happens for a reason

The rest of them - its basically the lucky dip - one of them might surprise and bolt up the ladder

Fremantle player ages:

Luke Jackson 21
Brayshaw 22
Serong 21
Young 21
Chapman 20
Frederick 22
Clark 21
Brodie 23
Odriscall 20
Treacey 20
Amiss 19
Dp#10 Erasmus 18
Dp#18 Johnson 18
Darcy 24
Cox 24
Schultz 24
Switta 25
Ryan 26
Aish 26
Henry 20
Pearce 27

Throw in Fyfe 31.

How you think that squad will go backwards is beyond me. Expect another huge step forward next season for Fremantle, despite losing an ok winger and a depth key backman.

Fremantle player ages:

Luke Jackson 21
Brayshaw 22
Serong 21
Young 21
Chapman 20
Frederick 22
Clark 21
Brodie 23
Odriscall 20
Treacey 20
Amiss 19
Dp#10 Erasmus 18
Dp#18 Johnson 18
Darcy 24
Cox 24
Schultz 24
Switta 25
Ryan 26
Aish 26
Henry 20
Pearce 27

Throw in Fyfe 31.

How you think that squad will go backwards is beyond me. Expect another huge step forward next season for Fremantle, despite losing an ok winger and a depth key backman.
Progress isn't linear and progress aside, a rogering by the injury gods (something we have experience in) I think is enough to throw us back. I think you can make a case for us anywhere from 12-1.

Fremantle player ages:

Luke Jackson 21
Brayshaw 22
Serong 21
Young 21
Chapman 20
Frederick 22
Clark 21
Brodie 23
Odriscall 20
Treacey 20
Amiss 19
Dp#10 Erasmus 18
Dp#18 Johnson 18
Darcy 24
Cox 24
Schultz 24
Switta 25
Ryan 26
Aish 26
Henry 20
Pearce 27

Throw in Fyfe 31.

Ah yes, because there's no surer thing than a team with 12 best-22 players aged 22 and under.

And continually watching them fail when it counts

Geelong add Bowes, Bruhn, Henry, McKenna and a pick 7, think they'll go back to back.
They've added a fringe player from the Suns, a fringe player from GWS, potentially a fringe player from Collingwood and an Irishman who's years out of the game.

And that equates to back to back ?

They may well salute again, but it won't be due to those listed above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back