Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel people are putting Gold Coast too low if they get some confidence and get on a roll.

Witts, Miller, Anderson, Rowell, Hollands, Sharp, Weller, Swallow, Flanders is a strong midfield.

If Collins, King, and Graham hold down the key posts they could do some real damage.

Their depth is wafer thin though.

Look - i havent been keen ( re their prospects ) on Ess for years - and i still wasnt looking at their current playing list re for 23 season - and even after the appointment of Brad Scott - who in 10 years at NM- had a 50/50 win/loss record

However reading what some of the players have said - re Brad Scott has already brought in some much needed discipline to the club -you know - you look at that game a couple of years back - your 12 goals down a h/t - and your group is laughing - B Scott will get rid of that rubbish plus i read from some fitness guru - who has several afl players across quite a few clubs - and he said ( forgot the players name ) ESS 2022 last minute/pick or top up pick ex WA bloke - hes the pick of them - in sensational physical condition thats what he said - so that player might have a super year

Its an average comp - no world beaters far from it - so youve put Ess 7th - if they are ever going to jump - then i agree 23 might be the year - say 5th to 8th

As for the top of the ladder - i do think Rich will be right up near the pointy end - the 2 new GWS midfielders - plus Baker/Short/Bolton - and Cotchin rested every now and again so hes good - their only old player who looks in some games like father time had got him was Rewoildt - but that was only in some games - so i think the Tigers are a great bet for the top 4

Melb in 23 is the most interesting team of the lot - 21 - world beaters and just demolished who ever got in their path - where as in 22 - the last 6 games they were pretty pathetic - dropped away badly - i dont know if the hunger will come back for them - the old flick the switch- i dont know if the switch is still their

I want to point out that I am notoriously pessimistic about our chances generally. Your points on Essendon are precisely my rationale, I wanted Brad Scott even before the coaching search, because he is no bullshit, he will play players in their natural positions and he will make them work. The previous year we made finals despite being heavily scored against. This year if we had even a mid-table defense, we'd have been a good team this year - so many losses less than a goal, opposite to Collingwood. None of that laughing whilst being belted will fly with Brad Scott, he will absolutely roost one up a playing group that does, that and you will not get a look in at the selection table. Scott made an awful list win finals games, which is all we need! If Essendon win a final and get that monkey off the back, a huge mental barrier will be broken and the momentum would be huge!

Yeah, Richmond could be up the top for sure, I just had them at 9th as things are tight this coming year and it's 9th, the greatest meme in the AFL.

I think the loss of Selwood is massive for your lads, he has driven the professionalism from the locker room for years, I think you'll have a down year because of it. and you'll bounce back the following.

Post trade and draft period

1. Geelong - this side is just too stacked to not finish in the top few again. They've won their last 16 games and topped up with promising players in the trade period, only losing Selwood in the process. Beside the occasional freak result they do not lose at home. They are too strong on and off the field to not contend once again.
2. Collingwood - very impressed with the side my club has been able to put together after looking so thin for depth 12 months ago. The club has a strong coaching department and has added strong structural reinforcements to a side that played in the deep end of the season. It's definitely a top six side in my eyes, with the ability to go on to big things pending the fitness of key players such as Moore and Elliott, as well as the longevity of Pendlebury and Sidebottom etc.
3. Brisbane Lions - too stacked a team to go away just yet. A preliminary finalist that added Gunston, Dunkley, Ashcroft and McKenna shouldn't be taken lightly. The Gabba remains a fortress, and this side simply has no excuses now - they must deliver and I think they know that.
4. St Kilda - we see a side jump up from out of finals into the top four every year and whilst Carlton is a simple, popular choice, I'm gonna go left-wing and say St Kilda have a team that can contend up top with RTB back in the hot seat. I think their defensive group has some serious untaped potential that could make them rock solid, and I believe they have some great young midfielders and forwards that are growing into their games. Nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be.
5. Fremantle - not too concerned over their departures. Longmuir I had my doubts over at first but he's proven capable of building a consistent winning defensive plan that a young side will only improve with. To lose their top goal kicker is tough but I like Amiss and Corbett to fill the gap. I don't think this looks like a side that goes backward.
6. Richmond - a stacked team with good depth. Taranto and Hopper are astute pick ups to fix a bad midfield, so I can see this side making top four for sure. That said, a few key positions continue to be troubled by age and consistency so I believe they will sit 5th-8th.
7. Carlton - this side just has to click and I believe they will and will play finals in 2023. They've bolstered their side with run and carry, and their defensive group will continue to gain its much needed experience.
8. Sydney Swans - we all know by now about the curse of sides that get trounced in grand finals, and I don't see a young Sydney team bucking the trend. I think they were much ahead of their time in 2021-22 and may have an underwhelming year, but I expect a return to the top in 2024.

9. Melbourne - my unpopular opinion is that this team has peaked even despite their offseason recruits and that their depth players are nowhere near the level they were when the Demons went on a 17 game winning run. They are 6-8 in their last 14 games with some execution problems. Truth be told they'll probably play finals, but I don't think they'll be a premiership contender.
10. Port Adelaide - tough not to squeeze into finals because I thought their offseason was great, but there's too many sides that are better in my opinion. Their underwhelming defensive group doesn't have any real untapped potential, they don't have a serious #1 ruck, and Boak and Dixon are on rather rapid declines.
11. Western Bulldogs - strong key position depth makes this team look better than it is, but Dunkley is a bad loss, the side hasn't picked up an AFL standard winger and unless they play Naughton at CHB, I don't believe they have good enough defenders.
12. Gold Coast - I firmly believe this side can play finals but it'll be a believe it when I see it scenario. Unless Touk and King break legs, then I don't think they have any excuses. Elijah Hollands will win the Rising Star.
13. Adelaide - I want to put them higher as I believe they are firmly on the right track but I'll leave them here for now. A good tall defender and a fast midfielder away from really clicking imo.
14. Essendon - after having them top four last year, I will not call this team to be good until I see it with my own eyes. I reckon they've got some great young players though.
15. West Coast - really good draft and will love the regular participation of its experienced players, but this list still needs a lot of work.
16. Hawthorn - not as disastrous as made out to be, but such a young, thin midfield will find it tough to win regular games.
17. North Melbourne - will enjoy some quick improvement and not finishing bottom, but still needs a lot more time to win more than 5 or 6 games.
18. GWS Giants - have some serious concerns over a 16th placed team that had the kind of offseason they had. Going to need to find some rapid improvement from 3rd and 4th year players to get going.

Post trade and draft period

1. Geelong - this side is just too stacked to not finish in the top few again. They've won their last 16 games and topped up with promising players in the trade period, only losing Selwood in the process. Beside the occasional freak result they do not lose at home. They are too strong on and off the field to not contend once again.
2. Collingwood - very impressed with the side my club has been able to put together after looking so thin for depth 12 months ago. The club has a strong coaching department and has added strong structural reinforcements to a side that played in the deep end of the season. It's definitely a top six side in my eyes, with the ability to go on to big things pending the fitness of key players such as Moore and Elliott, as well as the longevity of Pendlebury and Sidebottom etc.
3. Brisbane Lions - too stacked a team to go away just yet. A preliminary finalist that added Gunston, Dunkley, Ashcroft and McKenna shouldn't be taken lightly. The Gabba remains a fortress, and this side simply has no excuses now - they must deliver and I think they know that.
4. St Kilda - we see a side jump up from out of finals into the top four every year and whilst Carlton is a simple, popular choice, I'm gonna go left-wing and say St Kilda have a team that can contend up top with RTB back in the hot seat. I think their defensive group has some serious untaped potential that could make them rock solid, and I believe they have some great young midfielders and forwards that are growing into their games. Nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be.
5. Fremantle - not too concerned over their departures. Longmuir I had my doubts over at first but he's proven capable of building a consistent winning defensive plan that a young side will only improve with. To lose their top goal kicker is tough but I like Amiss and Corbett to fill the gap. I don't think this looks like a side that goes backward.
6. Richmond - a stacked team with good depth. Taranto and Hopper are astute pick ups to fix a bad midfield, so I can see this side making top four for sure. That said, a few key positions continue to be troubled by age and consistency so I believe they will sit 5th-8th.
7. Carlton - this side just has to click and I believe they will and will play finals in 2023. They've bolstered their side with run and carry, and their defensive group will continue to gain its much needed experience.
8. Sydney Swans - we all know by now about the curse of sides that get trounced in grand finals, and I don't see a young Sydney team bucking the trend. I think they were much ahead of their time in 2021-22 and may have an underwhelming year, but I expect a return to the top in 2024.

9. Melbourne - my unpopular opinion is that this team has peaked even despite their offseason recruits and that their depth players are nowhere near the level they were when the Demons went on a 17 game winning run. They are 6-8 in their last 14 games with some execution problems. Truth be told they'll probably play finals, but I don't think they'll be a premiership contender.
10. Port Adelaide - tough not to squeeze into finals because I thought their offseason was great, but there's too many sides that are better in my opinion. Their underwhelming defensive group doesn't have any real untapped potential, they don't have a serious #1 ruck, and Boak and Dixon are on rather rapid declines.
11. Western Bulldogs - strong key position depth makes this team look better than it is, but Dunkley is a bad loss, the side hasn't picked up an AFL standard winger and unless they play Naughton at CHB, I don't believe they have good enough defenders.
12. Gold Coast - I firmly believe this side can play finals but it'll be a believe it when I see it scenario. Unless Touk and King break legs, then I don't think they have any excuses. Elijah Hollands will win the Rising Star.
13. Adelaide - I want to put them higher as I believe they are firmly on the right track but I'll leave them here for now. A good tall defender and a fast midfielder away from really clicking imo.
14. Essendon - after having them top four last year, I will not call this team to be good until I see it with my own eyes. I reckon they've got some great young players though.
15. West Coast - really good draft and will love the regular participation of its experienced players, but this list still needs a lot of work.
16. Hawthorn - not as disastrous as made out to be, but such a young, thin midfield will find it tough to win regular games.
17. North Melbourne - will enjoy some quick improvement and not finishing bottom, but still needs a lot more time to win more than 5 or 6 games.
18. GWS Giants - have some serious concerns over a 16th placed team that had the kind of offseason they had. Going to need to find some rapid improvement from 3rd and 4th year players to get going.
St Kilda top 4?

I mean someone’s gotta be, but Carlton, Richmond, Port and even the Suns would be more chance of shooting up into the top 4 than the Saints, particularly with the news of Kings’ shoulder reco.

St Kilda top 4?

I mean someone’s gotta be, but Carlton, Richmond, Port and even the Suns would be more chance of shooting up into the top 4 than the Saints, particularly with the news of Kings’ shoulder reco.
The same was said of Collingwood last year and Port the year before. They have a good young team with plenty of untapped potential and a new coach with a different style.

The same was said of Collingwood last year and Port the year before. They have a good young team with plenty of untapped potential and a new coach with a different style.
I actually question Collingwood... Pendles and Sidebottom are quality players, but as age increases their output and dependence shrinks not grows...
So the next question is, can a youngish list replicate their growth and enthusiasm in year 2 of the new coach??
Can the replicate their winning patterns in close games again??? What did you win like 9 games by under 10pts... you lose 4 of those (which be be closer the the AFL average) then you actuaqlly miss the eight last year.

Accompanied with the harder draw from finishing top 4, it may be an awful thud back to earth for the pies this season

I actually question Collingwood... Pendles and Sidebottom are quality players, but as age increases their output and dependence shrinks not grows...
So the next question is, can a youngish list replicate their growth and enthusiasm in year 2 of the new coach??
Can the replicate their winning patterns in close games again??? What did you win like 9 games by under 10pts... you lose 4 of those (which be be closer the the AFL average) then you actuaqlly miss the eight last year.

Accompanied with the harder draw from finishing top 4, it may be an awful thud back to earth for the pies this season
It might be. This is an opinionated thread after all

They won’t need to replicate the close games trend though. It was a freak occurrence and the Magpies won’t be involved in as many close finishes next season

1. Geelong
2. Brisbane
3. Melbourne
4. Carlton
5. Richmond
6. Bulldogs
7. Collingwood
8. Fremantle

9. Sydney
10. Port Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. St Kilda
13. Essendon
14. GWS
15. Adelaide
16. West Coast
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn

Saints have a good young team? I think it’s actually quite middle of the road with a number of question marks over it, plus a coach who’s never been known for his offensive tactics. Quite the opposite actually, so the comparison to Collingwood doesn’t make much sense to me.

Given Squiggle hasn't updated yet, off the top of my head I'd think something like:

1. Brisbane
2. Melbourne
3. Sydney
4. Richmond
5. Carlton
6. Geelong
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Port Adelaide
9. Collingwood
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. West Coast
13. Essendon
14. GWS
15. Hawthorn
16. St Kilda
17. Adelaide
18. North Melbourne

Matthew Nicks first coach sacked.

Saints have a good young team? I think it’s actually quite middle of the road with a number of question marks over it, plus a coach who’s never been known for his offensive tactics. Quite the opposite actually, so the comparison to Collingwood doesn’t make much sense to me.
Owens, Windhager, Phillipou, Clark, Coffield, Wanganeen-Milera, Battle, Hayes, Hotton. Plenty of bright players not to mention King and Marshall whose best is yet to come. They are not an old team by any stretch of the imagination with nobody seemingly on the verge of decline.

I'd rather have a crack and try and predict something ballsy rather than just reshuffle the exact eight sides that played finals this year like 3/4 of the posts in this thread

I feel people are putting Gold Coast too low if they get some confidence and get on a roll.

Witts, Miller, Anderson, Rowell, Hollands, Sharp, Weller, Swallow, Flanders is a strong midfield.

If Collins, King, and Graham hold down the key posts they could do some real damage.

Their depth is wafer thin though.
Issue is I feel like we have been saying this for a few years now. They have a decent home ground advantage, some elite talent, some amazing young players but they are an injury or 2 from completely going off the rails after showing promise.

I had tipped them for 8th last year, and think thats their ceiling this year, but I worry they have another year where by Rd 12 they look good, get an injury or two and their form drops off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's have fun

1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Port
6. Fremantle
7. Melbourne
8. Geelong
9. Western Bulldogs
10. St Kilda
11. Richmond
12. Gold Coast
13. GWS
14. Adelaide
15. West Coast
16. Essendon
17. Hawthorn
18. North Melbourne

Will it happen, no. Could it, sure

Take this year's top 8. Turf 2, throw one from out of the eight into the four and just guess the rest

Brisbane
Carlton
Melbourne
Geelong
Sydney
Fremantle
Dogs
Richmond
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide
Essendon
GWS
St Kilda
West Coast
Adelaide
Hawthorn
North Melbourne

Given Squiggle hasn't updated yet, off the top of my head I'd think something like:

1. Brisbane
2. Melbourne
3. Sydney
4. Richmond
5. Carlton
6. Geelong
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Port Adelaide
9. Collingwood
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. West Coast
13. Essendon
14. GWS
15. Hawthorn
16. St Kilda
17. Adelaide
18. North Melbourne

Matthew Nicks first coach sacked.
I want what you're smoking

Brisbane 19-4
Geelong 18-5
Carlton 17-6
Richmond 16-7
Melbourne 15-8
Sydney 14-9
Western bulldogs 14-9
Fremantle 13-10

Port Adelaide 12-11
Collingwood 12-11
Gold Coast 11-12
Essendon 11-12
St kilda 9-14
Adelaide 8-15
West coast 8-15
Gws 7-16
Hawthorn 6-17
North Melbourne 5-18

adammania9

agree with your assessment.

not too sure on saints is a possiblity but i feel stkilda will rise up to at best 7th in 2023.

they will improve with lyon at the helm.

Still think geelong are again the team to beat in 2023 so i have them as the bench mark team.

Kind of agree Melbourne have peaked already and wont be too much more dangerous even with Grundy in there. They are getting worked out too many times and look to be plateauing. 50/50 for finals but i still think they are good enough to make it. Its the Grundy and Gawn factor that will either make or break the Dees if it works top 4 if not then its say 8th or 9th.

Brisbane again to have a solid one i feel though the Swans to have a dip on the ladder.

Swans and Dees i feel are on similar terms and again teams will start to work out the swans still got some nice players.

Gws for the spoon not sure thinking hawthorn or eagles to pick this one up.

Blues must make finals for their own sake.

Tigers have one more dip at making finals.

i have a feeling that either power or crows will make finals more so power just feel power to make it but end in 8th.

can not see dogs make it

essendon no a bonus on getting back tippen woody but i doubt it

suns will end up higher on the ladder then gws.

freo i have mid table kind of same as saints.

Id be ecstatic with 17 wins.

The blues are primed for a massive season. They have more elite talent than just about every team. Acres is a great pick up in an area they needed to fill. Small forward the only issue but Motlop has potential to be a star…

They’ve been decimated by injury the last few years, if they can have a good run with injury they will make the top 4.

The blues are primed for a massive season. They have more elite talent than just about every team. Acres is a great pick up in an area they needed to fill. Small forward the only issue but Motlop has potential to be a star…

They’ve been decimated by injury the last few years, if they can have a good run with injury they will make the top 4.
Great to see fans from other clubs see these things. Gone are days of the main board trashing Carlton in 3-4 different threads.

Great to see fans from other clubs see these things. Gone are days of the main board trashing Carlton in 3-4 different threads.

I would class the following as A-graders/elite in their position..not many clubs have more than 5, the blues have 7:

Cripps
Weitering
Walsh
Curnow
McKay
Doherty
Saad

If and it’s a big if, the likes of Adam Cerra. Jack Martin. Zac Williams. Zac fisher. Blake acres can stay fit and play consistently well, the blues will be flag favourites by round 10. Their list build over the past 3 years has been spot on.

1. Brisbane
2. Melbourne
3. Carlton
4. Sydney
5. Geelong
6. Richmond
7. Fremantle
8. Port Adelaide

9. Collingwood
10. Gold Coast
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. North Melbourne
15. Essendon
16. GWS
17. St.Kilda
18. Hawthorn

Very confident on that being the top 6, with a fight for places between 7-11 for the remaining two spots.

Hawthorn will finish last in my opinion. Collingwood come back to the pack, Carlton rise and GC right in the mix for finals are my main talking points here.

My honest view on Carlton - i still think the Blues need a breakout win - a crushing big win against a genuine top 4 team - then i will be convinced - and im not talking about Round i upsets where anything can happen

So say 2/3rds through the year they play ( and say assuming Rich/Geel/Coll/Melb are near the top of the ladder ) Carlton beat/flog/annihilate one of those sides at the MCG by 10-12 goals - then im convinced - alah - you cant play that well and not be a big chance for the flag

And when Carlton were winning all those premierships in earlier decades - they use to put in those type of performances regularly in the home and away season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back