Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Don’t be salty because I’m pointing out how a stat is irrelevant. Why would anyone care that Melbourne lead games during the 1st and 2nd quarters? You only need to be in front at one stage. Collingwood’s poor percentage considered, they still won more games than Melbourne in 2022.

My point is that every club in the league sees issues that are “fixable”. It sounds like you think only Melbourne have shortcomings they can fix, and nobody else will improve around them
What rubbish.

I spoke of Melbourne because I answered a poster who was referencing Melbourne.

Why would I mention other teams when I'm having a conversation about a specific team ?

Every club might have ''fixable issues'' to a degree, but Melbourne have a proven premiership list. Most other clubs don't.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
What rubbish.

I spoke of Melbourne because I answered a poster who was referencing Melbourne.

Why would I mention other teams when I'm having a conversation about a specific team ?

Every club might have ''fixable issues'' to a degree, but Melbourne have a proven premiership list. Most other clubs don't.
You mentioned Collingwood champ, not me

Fizza

All Australian
Oct 6, 2019
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just some general predictions, trade period could change some prospects eg. If Richmond get Taranto and Hopper. So doing this pre trade period, based on current teams

Feel like you got the certs:
Top 4- Geelong, Melbourne
Top 8- Collingwood, Sydney, Fremantle, Carlton
Bottom 4- West Coast, North Melbourne
Bottom 8-Hawthorn, Adelaide, Essendon

Those who could go either way and are chance of making finals:

High prospects - Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide

Middle prospects - Gold Coast Suns, St Kilda, Brisbane Lions, Richmond

Low prospects but not out of the question - GWS

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
You staed that the ''time in front'' stat was a typical ESPN stat.

It wasn't, it was a Fox Footy stat.

I said I understand why you'd sneer at such a stat, because Collingwood's was low.

You need to google the word context.
Yeah you had a grand old sook because somebody disagreed with you, so you had to have a crack at the team they support. I sneered at such a ludicrous stat not because my team ranks lower than yours, but because it's a stupid stat. Why would I care if your team lead games for a greater % than mine did? My team won more games than yours

An ESPN stat refers to a silly cherry-picked stat that holds little to no relevance and isn't worth the time taken to research that stat

You're welcome to rate the fact that your side built a number of leads in second and third quarters that they couldn't hold on to, but that's on you

Defabs

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
A lot of people predicted the same for Melbourne after 2021. Often young players are the ones he plateau and feel content with what they’ve achieved early in a career. So, it’s interesting that you see this as something that’ll make Geelong stronger.
Geelong of 2023 won’t be too dissimilar to Geelong of 2012. Yes they will make the finals but after a decade of making so many prelims and a GF a couple of years back, for some of the players it will like mission accomplished. Those champions at the very pointy end of their careers even if they are absolutely hungry for one more, I just can’t see their bodies hold up and/or maintain reasonable speed.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Yeah you had a grand old sook because somebody disagreed with you, so you had to have a crack at the team they support. I sneered at such a ludicrous stat not because my team ranks lower than yours, but because it's a stupid stat. Why would I care if your team lead games for a greater % than mine did? My team won more games than yours

An ESPN stat refers to a silly cherry-picked stat that holds little to no relevance and isn't worth the time taken to research that stat

You're welcome to rate the fact that your side built a number of leads in second and third quarters that they couldn't hold on to, but that's on you
You're an emotional type.

The stat referenced had the team placed second winning the flag and the team placed first finishing top 2 after H&A. It's relevant.

Two other top 4 sides were also mentioned for relevance and context.

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard not to have Geelong, Sydney and Brisbane all in top 3.

Fremantle, Richmond and Collingwood to fight out for 4,5,6.

Carlton, Melbourne, Gold Coast and Bulldogs fighting it out for 7,8,9,10.

Outside of that I’ll say hawks and Essendon to jump up to 11,12.

St Kilda, Adelaide 13,14.

GWS, West Coast 15,16

Port, North 17,18

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
You're an emotional type.

The stat referenced had the team placed second winning the flag and the team placed first finishing top 2 after H&A. It's relevant.

Two other top 4 sides were also mentioned for relevance and context.
The stat reflects how dominant you were for the first 10 rounds where you lead nearly 100% of the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
These predictions are too boring. There is a few things that always happens so let’s find a way to do a ladder that ticks those boxes;
1.Someone always jumps out of the bottom to sky rocket up the ladder (Collingwood this year),
2. teams that get hammered in the GF always fall away (WB last year)
3. a preliminary finalist that everyone tips to be there again drops away after a bad prelim defeat (Port last year)
4. A middle of the road team always falls apart (West Coast & Essendon this year)

So here it is makes no sense but fits the parameters (even I don’t believe it)

1. Melbourne - Point to prove, will bounce back, too good not to surely
2. Richmond - Hopper & Taranto? They clearly think this is what can happen
3. Western Bulldogs - finally sorting key positions, Lobbe at a minimum takes some focus off Naughton. We know the midfield is great.
4. West Coast - Someone has to come from the bottom 4, it was GWS or WCE, went with WCE purely because maybe the old brigade can go one last time, without covid effects, be fit. Add in 12 games in Perth, it’s always an advantage. 😬- I’m getting attacked for this

5. Carlton - I might be bias, but surely. 2 Coleman medalists in 2 years, 5 AA & a Brownlow medalist, if not now when?!
6. Fremantle - home ground advantage huge, but tougher draw for them coming up
7. Geelong - the yearly Geelong will slide trend, insert they are too old here.
8. Port Adelaide - the Ken Hinkley is out of contract effect. Secures another 3 years

9. Brisbane - Fagan effect, they come home strong late when Fagan returns to coaching, after the AFL investigation drags out. Plus the Preliminary final bad lost parameter
10. Sydney - the slide after losing the GF another one of the parameters
11. Collingwood - worst % I can remember of a top 4 team & I’ll assume JD is off at St Kilda
12. Gold Coast - feel like they should be higher, but I had to meet parameters
13. Adelaide - much the same
14. Hawthorn - will show improvement
15. North - whatever
16. Essendon - new coach doesn’t work, Essendon keep being Essendon.
17. GWS - they can’t keep losing players, quickly turning into a development club
18. St Kilda - this pains me, I desperately want Rattan to be successful. But they can fill the parameter of the middle of the table club who falls apart.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
1. Sydney
2. Doggies
3. Geelong
4. Melbourne
5. Brisbane
6. Richmond
7. Collingwood
8. Port Adelaide

9. Carlton
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Essendon
13. St kilda
14. North Melbourne
15. Adelaide
16. Hawthorn
17. GWS
18. West coast
We are going to do worse in a year we arent ravaged by covid and arent playing wafl top up players?

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Need some quality predictions in here guys.

Bulldogs and Carlton make top 4.

One of Sydney or Brisbane won’t make finals.

Collingwood prove that it wasn’t a fluke but miss out on top 4.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gut feel is we either play in a grand final/win flag or have a year from hell and Bevo gets the sack. Just can’t see another 6-8th finish.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't get why people think western dog improve? They lose dunkley and he's their best mid this year, bevo is getting crazier and crazier.
Structurally I think the additions of Lobb (if he gets there) and Jones will do wonders for them. And another preseason under the belts of JUH and Darcy will also be very helpful.

And Bont probably won’t have two down seasons in a row.

Every chance to be right amongst it.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Structurally I think the additions of Lobb (if he gets there) and Jones will do wonders for them. And another preseason under the belts of JUH and Darcy will also be very helpful.

And Bont probably won’t have two down seasons in a row.

Every chance to be right amongst it.

He hates the doggies mate. I like the optimism.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately though the Saints came 10th, so it's likely they'll play the likes of the Tigers, Bulldogs, Blues and Power twice
That would be a big help after we’ve had literally the hardest draw in the comp for the last two years.

Including playing 4 of this year’s top 6 twice (including Geelong) and as far as I’m aware playing the most games against teams who played finals of any team in the comp.

Our draw for two years straight has been brutal.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
These predictions are too boring. There is a few things that always happens so let’s find a way to do a ladder that ticks those boxes;
1.Someone always jumps out of the bottom to sky rocket up the ladder (Collingwood this year),
2. teams that get hammered in the GF always fall away (WB last year)
3. a preliminary finalist that everyone tips to be there again drops away after a bad prelim defeat (Port last year)
4. A middle of the road team always falls apart (West Coast & Essendon this year)

So here it is makes no sense but fits the parameters (even I don’t believe it)

1. Melbourne - Point to prove, will bounce back, too good not to surely
2. Richmond - Hopper & Taranto? They clearly think this is what can happen
3. Western Bulldogs - finally sorting key positions, Lobbe at a minimum takes some focus off Naughton. We know the midfield is great.
4. West Coast - Someone has to come from the bottom 4, it was GWS or WCE, went with WCE purely because maybe the old brigade can go one last time, without covid effects, be fit. Add in 12 games in Perth, it’s always an advantage. 😬- I’m getting attacked for this

5. Carlton - I might be bias, but surely. 2 Coleman medalists in 2 years, 5 AA & a Brownlow medalist, if not now when?!
6. Fremantle - home ground advantage huge, but tougher draw for them coming up
7. Geelong - the yearly Geelong will slide trend, insert they are too old here.
8. Port Adelaide - the Ken Hinkley is out of contract effect. Secures another 3 years

9. Brisbane - Fagan effect, they come home strong late when Fagan returns to coaching, after the AFL investigation drags out. Plus the Preliminary final bad lost parameter
10. Sydney - the slide after losing the GF another one of the parameters
11. Collingwood - worst % I can remember of a top 4 team & I’ll assume JD is off at St Kilda
12. Gold Coast - feel like they should be higher, but I had to meet parameters
13. Adelaide - much the same
14. Hawthorn - will show improvement
15. North - whatever
16. Essendon - new coach doesn’t work, Essendon keep being Essendon.
17. GWS - they can’t keep losing players, quickly turning into a development club
18. St Kilda - this pains me, I desperately want Rattan to be successful. But they can fill the parameter of the middle of the table club who falls apart.
It always amazes me this rubbish about home ground advantage in Perth. The huge disadvantage is having to travel across the continent every second week. if either Freo or West Coast lose those games they are labelled as weak because they “can’t win on the road”. Then it turns out that anybody who makes a similar trip to Perth and then loses its because of the home town advantage Or the long travel factor. I’ll concede that it is some advantage due to the travel for opposing sides but it is more than made up for by the simple fact that no other team has to do the long trips 50 % of the time so there is a huge DISADVANTAGE for the interstate teams depending on how far they have to travel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back