11 - Essendon
12 - Gold Coast
13 - Adelaide
14 - St Kilda
15 - West Coast
16 - GWS
17 - North
18 - Hawthorn

So many teams will be vying for finals late in the season I suspect. Tough to predict.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Difficult to nail down a ladder, so more in a range, but somewhat in order

Expect to finish in the 8
Cats, Demons, Tigers

Fighting for a top 8 spot
Lions, Blues, Swans, Pies, Dogs, Dockers, Port

Next Level
Crows, Bombers, Suns Saints, Eagles

Then
Giants, Roos, Hawks

If picking one side to possibly slide, it's the Lions. One side that could be the biggest riser, Crows

growly

Senior List
Oct 4, 2014
adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
1- Melbourne
2- Richmond
3- Brisbane
4- Port
5- Geelong
6- Fremantle
7 - Collingwood
8- Carlton
9 - St kilda
10- Sydney
11- Western Bulldogs
12 - Adelaide
13 - Essendon
14- Gold Coast
15 - Gws
16- West Coast
17 - Nth melb
18- Hawthorn

Sydney to make the big drop alot of defeated grand finalist have made of late.
Cats won't be as good but will be around the place like they always are.Pies to take a step back next year but will march foward in seasons to come.
Port the big improver will bounce back hard and get back to the 20/21 level.

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mines are in groups they are top 4, spots 5-8,fighting for last 2 spots in finals,miss finals and have no chance in 2023 and minus well prepare for 2024.
some groupd over lap

Top 4: Pies Dees Cats Swans tigers
Spots 5-8: tigers blues brisbane freo power
fighting for last 2: freo power dogs suns saints
miss finals: saints crows gws suns
preparing for 2024 already: hawks north west coast essendon
wooden spoon in 2023 to be hawthorn

Mags98

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
theres usually a couple teams who made the finals previously who miss out next,and looking at it atm youd probably have to say most likely is freo unfortunately, the dogs as well probably an easy answer, but im bias so ill say dogs and dees drop out.

surely blues with a brownlow medalist and two colemans will finally make the finals, expect them to be the club to jump from outside the 8 to top 4, and just on pure hopium, the suns slot in at 8

tiges, geelong, sydney i think will be the contenders, maybe brisbane too but weve been expecting that for too long now

spoon between hawks and the iggs

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The list order doesn't have too many outrageous placings.

The only query is wins for the bottom 4.
The AFL era only has BL 2017 (5) and BL 1998 (5.5) come close to 6 wins as wooden spooners. So would suspect that either Hawthorn win that many games and thus aren't last or you're winning less games. I suspect NM will win 2-4 games and win the spoon again IMO.
I rekon your right about 6-7 wins TBH. The list isn't as bad as people think and I rekon some teams will be in for a surprise when we play them and they realise this and so will the supporters. We will hear "They actually look better without Mitchell"
Mines are in groups they are top 4, spots 5-8,fighting for last 2 spots in finals,miss finals and have no chance in 2023 and minus well prepare for 2024.
some groupd over lap

Top 4: Pies Dees Cats Swans tigers
Spots 5-8: tigers blues brisbane freo power
fighting for last 2: freo power dogs suns saints
miss finals: saints crows gws suns
preparing for 2024 already: hawks north west coast essendon
wooden spoon in 2023 to be hawthorn
The list isn't as bad as people think. We got hammered with injury to the best 22 all year. We get a good run on that front we could Jag at least 6-7 wins. We were competitive all year without major contributions from Mitchell and O'Meara TBH. It was Newcombe, Moore Sicily etc who had the most impact and there still there. Those 3 I mentioned will probably be seen as the new leaders moving forward with Sicily a strong chance to be Captain. There's enough to work with next year but obviously we will need a couple of drafts till we move up into finals calculations. Not all doom and gloom IMO.

Mar 23, 2005
Alberta
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, N.A. Roosters
Before free agency, trade period, etc is basically meaningless. Afterwards is also meaningless, but that ruins a bad theory. So, coming off my worst ever year of this, why not. Its only anonymous embarrassment.

1. Collingwood - "what?" I hear everyone say, "shut up voices in my head" i say. They won a lot of close ones, which many suggest means they were lucky. That many suggests they are mentally hard in the crunch. Mind you, picking up McStay as some sort of key player, that's a desperate move of a team struggling to hold mid-table. So, maybe I am the one making the very wrong read.
2. Geelong - this does depend a lot on how many retire, get moved on, and whether it is the right people
3. Melbourne - I really didn't think they were THAT good in 2021, but looking around - who else?
4. Sydney - GF failure aside, one of few teams able to go with Geelong at other times and should be able to replicate
  • Above this point "should" play finals
5. Carlton - hate to admit it, because I prefer the league to have a comedy relief team that isn't North, but their best looks pretty damned good; consistency might be the issue with going higher
6. Brisbane - smash bad teams, don't seem to have that answer against the good
7. Richmond - the last hurrah of the era?
8. Fremantle - could really go anywhere from 1st to 15th, so slot in the middle based just on that; if they do slide further probably just a temporary setback

9. Gold Coast - assumes a solid trade period
10. Western Bulldogs - so often I like what I see from the Dogs, yet somehow the end result is underwhelming, don't see that changing
11. St Kilda - some of the tools are there to do much better things
  • Other finalists probably come from the group above
12. Essendon - all aboard they hype train to nowheresville
13. Port Adelaide - sick of it, every year I expect them to sort their s**t out and perform to ability, either I over-estimate their ability or they really are serial under-performers
14. Hawthorn
15. Adelaide
16. West Coast - I actually don't think they will be this low, as I suspect covid hurt them more than most think and players never really got match fitness until their season was practically over; I just don't have the confidence to say who they will go ahead of
17. Greater Western Sydney - apparently losing players hand over fist due this year to salary cap issues, unlikely to be able fit new ones in
  • Yawning chasm, like putting my mind up against .... um ... I dunno, name someone .... a smart person
18. North Melbourne - Clarkson or not (and my guess is about 80% "not") just winning a game will take a lot of luck again
Loved your Review of ADL and HAW predictions !

If picking one side to possibly slide, it's the Lions.
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sqotty from office works

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2021
Mclean
AFL Club
Carlton
1- Melbourne
2- Richmond
3- Brisbane
4- Port
5- Geelong
6- Fremantle
7 - Collingwood
8- Carlton
9 - St kilda
10- Sydney
11- Western Bulldogs
12 - Adelaide
13 - Essendon
14- Gold Coast
15 - Gws
16- West Coast
17 - Nth melb
18- Hawthorn

Sydney to make the big drop alot of defeated grand finalist have made of late.
Cats won't be as good but will be around the place like they always are.Pies to take a step back next year but will march foward in seasons to come.
Port the big improver will bounce back hard and get back to the 20/21 level.
Not bad.
Melbourne =jury still out.
Tigers= jury definitely still out.
The rest look ok.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would say North Melbourne are the team too slide…… But how low can they go?
Tasmania.......

Just kidding, I think NM is starting to build a good list for the future and expect them to be around 14-16. GWS will struggle to win a game (not only weaker but club is broken), Hawks, WC, Adel all likely to finish below them but WC and ADEL home ground advantage might see them win more than expected.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would say North Melbourne are the team too slide…… But how low can they go?
I think we'll improve, but winning a match might be a stretch too far.
GWS if at Docklands or Bellerive perhaps, maybe Hawthorn have pruned enough to be a chance. But someone always stuffs up monumentally against a bottom of the ladder side to avoid that lower team going winless.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
1st - Lions
2nd - Tigers
3rd - Dees
4th - Pies
5th - Cats
6th - Suns
7th - Dockers
8th - Blues

9th - Power
10th - Dogs
11th - Saints
12th - Swans
13th - Crows
14th - Eagles
15th - GWS
16th - Bombers
17th - North
18th - Hawks

1 - Melbourne
2 - Collingwood
3 - Brisbane
4 - Geelong
5 - Sydney
6 - Richmond
7 - Gold Coast
8 - Port
9 - Adelaide
10 - Giants
11 - Footscray
12 - Carlton
13 - Fremantle
14 - Saints
15 - Essendon
16 - North
17 - West Coast
18 - Hawthorn

can see fremantle going backwards initially, before going forwards in 2-3 years when their playing group matures more and they have better avenues to score

expecting adelaide's forward line to make a name for itself next year - fogarty and thilthorpe are just about primed to stamp themselves on the competition as stars of the future

I notice a lot of people lolling at the more "brave" predictions. As if they think teams always stay in the same position. In 2007, 3 teams in the top 4 were all placed 10th and below the previous year.
Hawks for Top 4.

GoldbergsGold

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
And what about the 15 years since?
It's usually 3 teams from the bottom 10, outside the top 8, who the following year come into the top 8. Happened this year and 2020. That's why it doesn't make a lot of sense to make a status quo tip and to be "brave". You guys would have been lolling at Collingwood being predicted as 4th in 2022, if tipped at the end of 2021.

Last edited:
Back