Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys would have been lolling at Collingwood being predicted as 4th in 2022, if tipped at the end of 2021.
Why?

If you look at it logically Collingwood fell away late in 2020 and still finished top 6 after being premiership favourites midway through that season on the back of a close Grand Final loss in 2018 and close preliminary final loss in 2019.

An off year in the Covid impacted 2021 and it was back to normality for the Magpies in 2022.

So 2021 was the brief exception.

I can see Port Adelaide doing exactly the same thing in 2023.

Why?

If you look at it logically Collingwood fell away late in 2020 and still finished top 6 after being premiership favourites midway through that season on the back of a close Grand Final loss in 2018 and close preliminary final loss in 2019.

An off year in the Covid impacted 2021 and it was back to normality for the Magpies in 2022.

Show me one person who predicted Collingwood to be 4th in 2022, before the 2022 season started.

Brisbane
Geelong
Melbourne
Carlton

Richmond
Port
Collingwood
Bulldogs

Sydney
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Adelaide
Essendon
St Kilda
West Coast
GWS
North
Hawthorn

Why?

I can write history with the benefit of hindsight too.

Exception or not the fact is that they went out and then came back. That just proves what everyone else is saying. There are no guarantees and movement happens. Just because Collingwood went down doesnt mean they'll stay there for years and just as them going up doesnt mean they sit there for years. You may have already forgotten how many close games your side won. In another year you lose a few more of them and you are fighting for finals. Once Pendlebury and Sidebottom go ylu lose a fair bit of experience.

I can write history with the benefit of hindsight too.

Exception or not the fact is that they went out and then came back. That just proves what everyone else is saying. There are no guarantees and movement happens. Just because Collingwood went down doesnt mean they'll stay there for years and just as them going up doesnt mean they sit there for years. You may have already forgotten how many close games your side won. In another year you lose a few more of them and you are fighting for finals. Once Pendlebury and Sidebottom go ylu lose a fair bit of experience.
Thank you for that very intelligent and insightful post...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Geelong
2. Brisbane
3. Richmond
4. Melbourne
5. Collingwood
6. Port Adelaide
7. Carlton
8. Bulldogs

9. Sydney
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Adelaide
13. St. Kilda
14. West Coast
15. Essendon
16. GWS
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn

I feel that the 5-11 region is very interchangeable.

Me thinks collingwood will be up there for a long while yet.

2023 starting to come into the premiership frame for mine.

2024 is looking good

bright future for the Pies.
Maybe but the Pies aren’t a young team and a lot went right this year for Collingwood a lot of close finishes which could go against them next season they still don’t have a high scoring forward line which is probably their major problem

Maybe but the Pies aren’t a young team and a lot went right this year for Collingwood a lot of close finishes which could go against them next season they still don’t have a high scoring forward line which is probably their major problem
Grundy: Gone
Pendlebury: 35yo in 2 months
Howe: 33yo next season
Sidebottom: 32yo next season
Cox: 32yo next season
Elliott: 30yo next season
Adams: 30yo next season
Mitchell: 30yo next season
Crisp: 30yo next season
Mihocek: 30yo next season
WHE: 30yo next season

As many as 10 of their best 22 will be 30-35yo by approximately GF day next year.

Grundy: Gone
Pendlebury: 35yo in 2 months
Howe: 33yo next season
Sidebottom: 32yo next season
Cox: 32yo next season
Elliott: 30yo next season
Adams: 30yo next season
Mitchell: 30yo next season
Crisp: 30yo next season
Mihocek: 30yo next season
WHE: 30yo next season

As many as 10 of their best 22 will be 30-35yo by approximately GF day next year.
Saying that they are right in the window now.
If they can grab a close prelim or grand final loss in that time they will be overjoyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back