Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not like it would take that much. Just two years ago we finished 5th, and off literally the hardest draw in the comp in both of the two years since, we’ve missed the 8 by just 1 win (in seasons where we sold home games against the Adelaide teams to Cairns, both of which we lost by under a goal- which we won’t be doing again next year) and just half a season ago we were 8-3, and above Geelong on the ladder.

Just a normal difficulty draw- rather than the hardest in the comp- and not selling a home game to Cairns could be worth the required extra 2 wins, without us even needing to improve one bit.

In 2020 the saints finished 5th. Saints narrowly made finals. some saints fans thought they should of been top 4, I disagreed after seeing the tigers vs saints semi final.

In 2021, you could debate about the saints having a Hard draw. Yet you forgot the saints had a couple of games they lost Horribly they should of won. One of those was the crows loss by 6 points after having a 5-6 goal lead.

You also Brought up the saints 2022 season. Again, you can debate about the saints so called hard draw.

You claim the saints were 8-3 in the 1st 11 games. However, Saints won some narrow games in that 1st half of that season. One of them was the Dockers by 10 points in Perth (Ironic as that gave the dockers a kick up the bum that was needed. Freo won their next 6 games). Beat GWS By 17 points, Cats by 10 points and Crows by 21.

All 4 of those cames they could of and should of lost.

You think a normal draw would improve the saints from 9th to 12th to a finals side.

There will be other key factors that will heavily depend on the saints making finals in 2023.....

- Form

- Some close games

- Availabity of certain players..... Well injuries.

- Most importantly Ross Lyons coaching and tactics on game day.

Grundy: Gone
Pendlebury: 35yo in 2 months
Howe: 33yo next season
Sidebottom: 32yo next season
Cox: 32yo next season
Elliott: 30yo next season
Adams: 30yo next season
Mitchell: 30yo next season
Crisp: 30yo next season
Mihocek: 30yo next season
WHE: 30yo next season

As many as 10 of their best 22 will be 30-35yo by approximately GF day next year.
I’d have thought any talk of players turning 30 or being in their 30’s was debunked in 2022. High performance science has seen to that

I’d have thought any talk of players turning 30 or being in their 30’s was debunked in 2022. High performance science has seen to that

I agree strongly with this, though I am not saying I am confident about Collingwood's chances in 2023 of even matching this season's showing.

I think it was pretty clear in the last few matches Geelong played that their strategy of topping up with quality older players FINALLY paid off. Especially in the GF against the Swans it looked largely to be fully-grown, hardened and mature men up against boys in some ways. Of course the Swans have their share of powerful players but over the course of the game and across the whole field they were pretty much bullied into submission.

I agree strongly with this, though I am not saying I am confident about Collingwood's chances in 2023 of even matching this season's showing.

I think it was pretty clear in the last few matches Geelong played that their strategy of topping up with quality older players FINALLY paid off. Especially in the GF against the Swans it looked largely to be fully-grown, hardened and mature men up against boys in some ways. Of course the Swans have their share of powerful players but over the course of the game and across the whole field they were pretty much bullied into submission.
I got the same vibes from the Collingwood v Freo semi final. Collingwood just looked a lot more more mature and hardened and virtually bullied us into submission early on.

In 2020 the saints finished 5th. Saints narrowly made finals. some saints fans thought they should of been top 4, I disagreed after seeing the tigers vs saints semi final.

In 2021, you could debate about the saints having a Hard draw. Yet you forgot the saints had a couple of games they lost Horribly they should of won. One of those was the crows loss by 6 points after having a 5-6 goal lead.

You also Brought up the saints 2022 season. Again, you can debate about the saints so called hard draw.

You claim the saints were 8-3 in the 1st 11 games. However, Saints won some narrow games in that 1st half of that season. One of them was the Dockers by 10 points in Perth (Ironic as that gave the dockers a kick up the bum that was needed. Freo won their next 6 games). Beat GWS By 17 points, Cats by 10 points and Crows by 21.

All 4 of those cames they could of and should of lost.

You think a normal draw would improve the saints from 9th to 12th to a finals side.

There will be other key factors that will heavily depend on the saints making finals in 2023.....

- Form

- Some close games

- Availabity of certain players..... Well injuries.

- Most importantly Ross Lyons coaching and tactics on game day.
Agree with this assessment.
Saints over-performed in 2020 and things just clicked. They've since regressed to the norm to an extent, however they were not far off the money in 2022.
Ross the Boss could straighten them up for the Saints to climb up to say 6th... or they could struggle to adapt to a new game plan in year 1.
Very interested to see how RtB mark 2 goes

Geelong
Melbourne
Collingwood
Sydney
Brisbane
Port Adelaide
St Kilda
Richmond
Gold Coast
Carlton
Bulldogs
Essendon
GWS
West Coast
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Crows arent going backwards champ. we will finish between 10-13th

Brisbane
Swans
Melbourne
Geelong
Dockers
Carlton
Collingwood
Western Bulldogs
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
GWS
Gold Coast
Essendon
St Kilda
Hawthorn
West Coast
North Melbourne

*This is literally a guess so don't kill me if your team is not high enough.
Id take that now as a crows fan. finishing 11th would mean we have improved again, tracking nicely with probably 10 wins and a bonus is Port wouldnt have made the 8 lol

Melbourne
Geelong
Sydney
Brisbane
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Essendon

Richmond
West Coast
Gold Coast
Bulldogs
Carlton
St Kilda
GWS
Adelaide
Hawthorn
North Melbourne

Carlton had the 2nd easiest fixture in 2022, how anyone thinks they will do better in 2023 with likely a much harder fixture, is crazy to me.
Collingwood very likely lose a few of those close games in 2023, their mature players will keep them in the 8, baring injuries.
Essendon in 2022 with a very young list, loads of injuries, 2nd hardest fixture, will in 2023 likely replicate their 2021 season finish.
Surely West Coast with way less injuries rises up the ladder in 2023?
Matty Nicks will be sacked if the Crows finish 16th..

1 Geelong
2 Brisbane
3 Richmond
4 Collingwood
5 Melbourne
6 Carlton
7 Sydney
8 Port Adelaide

9 Fremantle
10 Gold Coast
11 Western Bulldogs
12 West Coast
13 St Kilda
14 Adelaide
15 Essendon
16 North Melbourne
17 Hawthorn
18 Greater Western Sydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Carlton
2 Melbourne
3 Geelong
4 Fremantle
5 Brisbane
6 Adelaide
7 Collingwood
8 Sydney
9 Port Adelaide
10 St Kilda
11 Richmond
12 Western Bulldogs
13 Gold Coast
14 North Melbourne
15 Hawthorn
16 West Coast
17 GWS
18 Essendon

Most teams that finish towards the bottom have a healthy dose of bad luck. Are you saying it is impossible that Adelaide will have a terrible run with injuries or that something out of the blue like a covid wave can't happen? This thread is a prediction thread, not a ranking thread. s**t happens.

That's what I am thinking too. The worst part of the rebuild was done when the crows finished bottom in 2020.

I won't be surprised if crows get 10 or 11 wins.

Hell of they get 12 wins and 9th or 10th.

Then in 2024 they get finals. Crazy to think crows have spent 5 years in a row of no finals.

Who did they beat in 1990? I only saw 2010
I know generally Collingwood lose grand finals but were they favourites heading into the 1990 gf?

1990 was one of those weird years where the dominant teams of the era (Hawthorn, Geelong) fell away leaving things wide open and it was just anyone's game. Bit like the Collingwood/West Coast game in 2018 (in the middle of a Richmond dynast).

Essendon were top 17-5 but 2-4 on the ladder were all only a game behind, and Hawthorn were 5th and looming.

If i remember right, Bombers were probably favourites but had a week 1 finals bye... then watched as Collingwood/West Coast drew and then played a replay a week later. That meant Essendon had 2 weeks off before their first final and had an absolute howler as a result.

Essendon then played a prelim vs West Coast who were travelling for the 6th straight week (all finals were played in Melbourne plus round 21 and round 22) and duly smashed them.

So heading into the GF it was a genuine 'who knows' game. Finals system throughout the 90s was totally bugged and this was one of the more underrated examples imo

1990 was one of those weird years where the dominant teams of the era (Hawthorn, Geelong) fell away leaving things wide open and it was just anyone's game. Bit like the Collingwood/West Coast game in 2018 (in the middle of a Richmond dynast).

Essendon were top 17-5 but 2-4 on the ladder were all only a game behind, and Hawthorn were 5th and looming.

If i remember right, Bombers were probably favourites but had a week 1 finals bye... then watched as Collingwood/West Coast drew and then played a replay a week later. That meant Essendon had 2 weeks off before their first final and had an absolute howler as a result.

Essendon then played a prelim vs West Coast who were travelling for the 6th straight week (all finals were played in Melbourne plus round 21 and round 22) and duly smashed them.

So heading into the GF it was a genuine 'who knows' game. Finals system throughout the 90s was totally bugged and this was one of the more underrated examples imo
The Colliwobbles still exist though as Collingwood still haven't won a Grand Final in September since 1959.

2017-2020 was tiger times. Apart for 2018 in which richmond should have won it in 2018 as well.

These times are over.

I feel 2021 and 2022 are tranistional times or a transitional era bit like 2016 when it was just after the Hawks 3 peat years and before tiger times.

But instead of 1 year 2016 its 2 years 2021 and 2022.

I can not see a dynasty for Melbourne though even though they won in 2021 and had another good year in 2022 just cant see it and Geelong will be getting old and on far too much in 2023.

2023 i see as the first year since 2020 we start to see the real next era or dynasty.

Im not sure on which team as yet.

i have these as the possible next big things as in the next big dynasty.

I know i will have plenty of people disagree with me but I think its Collingwood.

To be honest they have now thier house in order at least and at last.

united group there as well.

New and refreshed footy department and of course a strong and huge supporter base means huge membership means they can afford to invest into a successfull and well run footy department.

So I have Collingwood.

As said it might not happen in 2023 but if not 2024 if not that 2025 but sooner or later they will win a flag.

Just have to happen something will crack they will win the flag. Just needs a good run and they are there.

Another team i like are these 3:

Sydney Swans,
Freemantle

For the interstate teams.

As in the Vic teams i have:

Carlton yes the blues are due same as Pies they still have a big supporter base and they too have got their house in order as well.
Saint Kilda are starting to do good things and now Lyon is back i can see them rise again.
I have a feeling that North under Clarkson will be a riser.
As said Richmond and Geelong have 1 more year left in them as been a truly good teams and in 2024 the cliff is all thiers. Still play in finals in 2023. Bit of a last chance soloon.

Theres not much to write home about for the Vic teams to be honest i feel we could see a nice run of interstate premierships this decade as well.

I feel we could see up to 3 years in a row of the flag been outside Victoria.

it would not surprise me.

I can see this new Tassie team to make finals in its first year as well when ever a tassie team plays in the afl.

By the end of this decade i can see the Suns and possibly GWS to exit the AFL comp more so Suns.

its will be an interesting decade the 2020s.

2017-2020 was tiger times. Apart for 2018 in which richmond should have won it in 2018 as well.

These times are over.

I feel 2021 and 2022 are tranistional times or a transitional era bit like 2016 when it was just after the Hawks 3 peat years and before tiger times.

I can not see a dynasty for Melbourne though even though they won in 2021 and had another good year in 2022 just cant see it and Geelong will be getting old and on far too much in 2023.

2023 i see as the first year since 2020 we start to see the real next era or dynasty.

I know i will have plenty of people disagree with me but I think its Collingwood.

New and refreshed footy department and of course a strong and huge supporter base means huge membership means they can afford to invest into a successfull and well run footy department.

So I have Collingwood.

As said it might not happen in 2023 but if not 2024 if not that 2025 but sooner or later they will win a flag.

Just have to happen something will crack they will win the flag. Just needs a good run and they are there.

Sydney Swans,
Freemantle

Carlton yes the blues are due same as Pies they still have a big supporter base and they too have got their house in order as well.
Saint Kilda are starting to do good things and now Lyon is back i can see them rise again.
As said Richmond and Geelong have 1 more year left in them as been a truly good teams and in 2024 the cliff is all thiers. Still play in finals in 2023. Bit of a last chance soloon.

Theres not much to write home about for the Vic teams to be honest i feel we could see a nice run of interstate premierships this decade as well.

I can see this new Tassie team to make finals in its first year as well when ever a tassie team plays in the afl.

By the end of this decade i can see the Suns and possibly GWS to exit the AFL comp more so Suns.

FMD, this drivel appears in two threads!

Yes, we all agree Collingwood are the next dynasty team, Pendles will be the oldest flag captain on history - on multiple occasions. Now go away

These times are over.

So I have Collingwood.

Sydney Swans,
Freemantle

Yeah nah, Richmond is going again. We’ve rebuilt on the run and looking to extend the dynasty to 4 flags

Just so you know Collingwood is old af. 10 of your best 22 will be 30-35 by the end of 2023. Good luck with the dynasty lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back