Discussion West Coast to Wear Sekem Made Jumpers in Early 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised they haven’t asked a local company to make up jumpers and put the Castore logo under the collar like we saw with Port for training jumpers last season

I know a company who could help... 🤷‍♂️

So the eagles put up a video for a Lendi promo, with Gov Shuey and Nic. Gov and Shuey are in Castore polos, and then Nic is in an absolute potato sack of a retail guensey. Players pretty much only ever wear the retails in photo shoots for the team store merch, all other stuff they’re in their actual PIs. So there’s a big chance we still don’t have the proper Castore player issues guernseys. What an absolute balls up by Castore. I’d be more than happy to just run with ISC gear for the year, get rid of Castore, and then sign a new deal with someone better for 2022. Surely we’ve got some grounds to pull out of a contract with them not delivering what they were signed to provide?

So the eagles put up a video for a Lendi promo, with Gov Shuey and Nic. Gov and Shuey are in Castore polos, and then Nic is in an absolute potato sack of a retail guensey. Players pretty much only ever wear the retails in photo shoots for the team store merch, all other stuff they’re in their actual PIs. So there’s a big chance we still don’t have the proper Castore player issues guernseys. What an absolute balls up by Castore. I’d be more than happy to just run with ISC gear for the year, get rid of Castore, and then sign a new deal with someone better for 2022. Surely we’ve got some grounds to pull out of a contract with them not delivering what they were signed to provide?
I think the issue here is that we have a limited amount of ISC gear left too. Note how some players were in the wrong numbers on the weekend.

Can't really tell but is it just an ISC jumper with Castore logo? In other news, AGL will now be on Eagles shorts after extending sponsorship ddeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for it to happen to such a big club too
Thats what gets me

Respectfully, if this was North or St Kilda or the Sunshine we wouldn't think twice about it, but the Eagles??

Rumour has it the Castore stock was never lost, and the club actually rejected the stock that arrived...

Is Castore stuff typically good quality? I'll be honest I haven't heard much about their other stuff

They’re a new-ish company who has never done anything with Australian Rules apparel. Their entire marketing is around them being a premium brand, basically the BMW/Mercedes of the sports apparel world, but yeah sounds like they’ve crashed and burned with their first attempt at AFL gear.

I’d say West Coast are equally to blame here, going into this contract with a complete unknown, with zero experience in footy apparel. Probably should have gone with Sekem who AFAIK were also interested in the contract.

They’re a new-ish company who has never done anything with Australian Rules apparel. Their entire marketing is around them being a premium brand, basically the BMW/Mercedes of the sports apparel world, but yeah sounds like they’ve crashed and burned with their first attempt at AFL gear.

I’d say West Coast are equally to blame here, going into this contract with a complete unknown, with zero experience in footy apparel. Probably should have gone with Sekem who AFAIK were also interested in the contract.
It's frustrating because a good start in aussie football would see another premium brand potentially spreading around the league, especially starting off with one of the biggest "premier" AFL teams.

Wonder what league headquarters are thinking..

I’d be shocked if they gave much of a stuff to be honest. The average punter won’t even notice if West Coast wear ISC instead of Castore and I think most at AFL House would be the same.

They’d be far more likely to be concerned about the likes of St Kilda*, Western Bulldogs and GWS running around without (joint) major sponsors on their jumpers. As aesthetically pleasing as it might be, having clubs with no sponsors on the back of a jumper is a terrible look for the AFL.

*Yes I realise St Kilda seem poised to announce their back sponsor before round 1.

Rumour has it the Castore stock was never lost, and the club actually rejected the stock that arrived...
Any idea what specifically was rejected by the club? Surely there were samples done up before the club entered into a contract with them?

Really?? Damn I'd love to know this story haha what a sh*t show.

From what I hear from a couple of different people now, it's a pretty straight forward series of events.

1. Castore signs with West Coast, having never made Australian Rules apparel
2. Castore tries to make Australian Rules apparel for the first time
3. Castore fails at making adequate Australian Rules apparel

Don't think there's too much more to it.

3. Castore fails at making adequate Australian Rules apparel
Without trying to sound flippant - it's not a very hard jumper to make

How badly could they have cocked it up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back