Discussion The VFA premierships debate - should they be recognised as elite level premierships?

How many tier 1 premierships have Geelong won?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to rub salt into the wounds of those that get upset by this reality of league premierships since 1897.

Update from October where it stood.

Interestingly Melbourne has as many wooden spoons as premierships on 12 each.

Premierships for each club.

Carlton 16
Essendon 16
Collingwood 15
Hawthorn 13
Melbourne 12
Fitzroy/Brisbane Bears/Lions 11
Richmond 10
Geelong 9
South Melbourne/Sydney Swans 5
North Melbourne 4
West Coast Eagles 3
Adelaide 2
Footscray 1
Port Adelaide 1
St.Kilda 1
Fremantle 0
Gold Coast 0
Greater Western Sydney 0

The league premiership tally is a record of which clubs have won the league's offering of a premiership prize in every season since its inception, of which there 119 so far. The league itself has undergone numerous changes over the years, some teams joining, others leaving, merging or relocating, going national, but it's still the same league; whereas the VFA was a different comp altogether. If clubs want to count premierships they won in other leagues, as a club oriented record, then go for it, but that shouldn't be included in this league's official records.

Brisbane is even more of an anomaly because the Bears never won anything while Fitzroy won VFL flags and the Brisbane Lions won AFL flags. Mergers always make things messy when dealing with history and categorisations.

Brisbane's situation is quite simple. The Brisbane Bears and the Brisbane Lions are the same club. Entered the competition in 1987. They have three premierships.

So, if they changed the name of the competition tomorrow to the National Football League, you'd be happy for Adelaide's flag to pale to insignificance?

IF the comp radically changed so that it was suddenly much more professional and there were many new teams (maybe international teams), then yes we should start again (again). You don't seem to be getting this whole 'the AFL is more than a name change' thing.

IF the comp radically changed so that it was suddenly much more professional and there were many new teams (maybe international teams), then yes we should start again (again). You don't seem to be getting this whole 'the AFL is more than a name change' thing.

Because it wasnt. Structurally nothing changed between the 1989 VFL season and the 1990 AFL season. It is still the same competition that has run in continued operation...

Because it wasnt. Structurally nothing changed between the 1989 VFL season and the 1990 AFL season. It is still the same competition that has run in continued operation...

And yet flags from 1897 still count. What else have you got?

All VFL flags should not be counted towards the afl flag tally. Acknowledge and be proud of them (like we do with SANFL flags), but shouldn't count towards the offical tally.

The VFL was a state competition and the AFL is a national competition. You can't count a state league premiership from the 1920s as a premiership in the national comp. Just doesn't make sense

Brisbane's situation is quite simple. The Brisbane Bears and the Brisbane Lions are the same club. Entered the competition in 1987. They have three premierships.

So you're completely ignoring the Fitzroy part of the history of the club? Interesting.

Given your avatar and your name, that is truly surprising.

Last edited:
All VFL flags should not be counted towards the afl flag tally. Acknowledge and be proud of them (like we do with SANFL flags), but shouldn't count towards the offical tally.

The VFL was a state competition and the AFL is a national competition. You can't count a state league premiership from the 1920s as a premiership in the national comp. Just doesn't make sense

No-one is claiming that a 1920s premiership was won in a then-national competition, but what is factually true is that it was won in a competition which is now national - that is, it forms part of the history of that competition. What muddies the waters is when people try to assert that premierships "count" or "don't count" based on subjective and arbitrary criteria like "when the league became a national competition" (1982? 1987? 1990? 1991? Later?) or "whether the competition was elite"... the competition that was known as the VFL became known as the AFL, and in that competition, there are clubs who won premierships dating back to 1897. Quibble about the qualitative relevance of those premierships all you like - that's a subjective matter - but they are, quantitatively, part of the history of one continuous league, and should be recognised as such.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's common knowledge though that VFL premierships from 1897 to 1989 and AFL premierships from 1990 are grouped as "VFL/AFL" premierships as a reference to the same entity that has been known as either the VFL or AFL over the journey. Not sure why some non-Vics get so worked up about it, it makes complete logical sense for them to be grouped this way.

It is a summation of two different quantities. Presumably if you look at Geelong's trophy cabinet you will see 9 similar premiership cups displayed therein. If however you look at what is written on the cups, six will include the acronym "VFL" and three will have the acronym "AFL" in that same position instead. The cups are not all the same. Likewise if you look at the commemorative flags, 6 will have VFL on them and 3 will have AFL on them. The flags also are not the same.

Hence the total of 9 is made up of two groups (not one), 6 in the VFL group and 3 in the AFL group. This is a plain, straightforward fact. I can't imagine why many Victorians get so upset about it and try to deny these facts.

In terms of naming the Premierships, yeah, Geelong have 9 VFL/AFL Premierships. Of the 9 Premierships, 6 are indeed VFL Premierships whereas 3 of them are AFL Premierships.

However, both groups of Premierships are relevant to this particular league as they were won in the same league, but under a different name.

Richmond have 10 VFL Premierships, but 0 AFL Premierships. That doesn't mean they have 0 Premierships in this league, because the pre-AFL era VFL is still the same league as the AFL. Therefore, they have won 10 Premierships in this league.

We happen to be in agreement here. I have not said at any point that VFL premierships should not count, or do not deserve recognition. All I have said is that they are not AFL premierships, which they simply aren't. If you tried to claim that the Hawks in 1989 won an AFL premiership I would say that you are guilty of history revisionism. But I fully recognise that they won a VFL premiership in that year, and I agree that they deserve whatever recognition is due to them for that historical feat.

The 1989 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Hawthorn Football Club and the Geelong Football Club, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne on 30 September 1989. It was the 93rd annual Grand Final of the Victorian Football League, staged to determine the premiers for the 1989 VFL season.

{Edit}: It turns out I can be even a bit more helpful. Here is a picture featuring the 1954 VFL premiership cup, and another picture of the 2012 AFL premiership cup. You will see that they are similar, but not the same.

So, in the case of Geelong, what exactly is wrong with saying that they have won 6 VFL and 3 AFL premierships? There are no premierships won in this competition that are not recognised by the statement. It is more representative of their history than saying they have won 9 VFL/AFL premierships because it relates more of the story.

Last edited:
Hence the total of 9 is made up of two groups (not one), 6 in the VFL group and 3 in the AFL group. This is a plain, straightforward fact. I can't imagine why many Victorians get so upset about it and try to deny these facts.

If someone who is now 25 changes their name from "X" to "Y" the day after they turn eighteen, and also keeps the card they receive from their mother every year (on which their name at the time is written), how would you describe that collection of cards? There are 18 in the X group, 7 in the Y group, but surely the more salient fact in most contexts will be that there are 25 cards addressed to the same person, and so you'd want to choose a phrase that accurately conveys that, rather than insisting upon separating them because the person in question reached 18 at about the same time they changed their name?

Likewise here - you could phrase it the way you insist upon phrasing it (it's factually accurate), but it's apt to ignore the salient fact (these are all premierships won in the same continuing competition) in favour of a trivial one (the VFL changed its name to the AFL prior to the 1990 season), and potentially also apt to confuse. Why favour that phrasing, then?

Likewise here - you could phrase it the way you insist upon phrasing it (it's factually accurate), but it's apt to ignore the salient fact (these are all premierships won in the same continuing competition) in favour of a trivial one (the VFL changed its name to the AFL prior to the 1990 season), and potentially also apt to confuse. Why favour that phrasing, then?

I contend exactly the reverse is true. People are confused about the actual meaning of the construct "VFL/AFL premierships", as has been amply demonstrated in this thread.

As I said before, here is a picture featuring the 1954 VFL premiership cup, and another picture of the 2012 AFL premiership cup. You will see that they are similar, but not the same.

Yet there are many on this thread who are trying to insist that they are the same, and what is worse they are getting extremely precious about insisting that everybody conforms to their skewed view of it.

What exactly is wrong with being accurate and factual?

Well there is a clear distinction here. Port Adelaide joined the VFL/AFL on the basis that the VFL/AFL was the premier competition, was raiding the SANFL of players (in fact the SANFL business model centred around transfer fees) and the best South Australian players had enough of playing against Glenelg before 4000 at the Parade.

The SANFL thing is completely different to the VFL/AFL it was a competition that was run like a suburban chook raffle.

We happen to be in agreement here. I have not said at any point that VFL premierships should not count, or do not deserve recognition. All I have said is that they are not AFL premierships, which they simply aren't. If you tried to claim that the Hawks in 1989 won an AFL premiership I would say that you are guilty of history revisionism. But I fully recognise that they won a VFL premiership in that year, and I agree that they deserve whatever recognition is due to them for that historical feat.

The 1989 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Hawthorn Football Club and the Geelong Football Club, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne on 30 September 1989. It was the 93rd annual Grand Final of the Victorian Football League, staged to determine the premiers for the 1989 VFL season.

{Edit}: It turns out I can be even a bit more helpful. Here is a picture featuring the 1954 VFL premiership cup, and another picture of the 2012 AFL premiership cup. You will see that they are similar, but not the same.

So, in the case of Geelong, what exactly is wrong with saying that they have won 6 VFL and 3 AFL premierships? There are no premierships won in this competition that are not recognised by the statement. It is more representative of their history than saying they have won 9 VFL/AFL premierships because it relates more of the story.
I agree, there is nothing wrong with saying that they have 6 VFL Premierships and 3 AFL Premierships as this is reality. It is less vague than saying 9 VFL/AFL Premierships.

Likewise, Richmond have 10 VFL Premierships and 0 AFL Premierships.

I contend exactly the reverse is true. People are confused about the actual meaning of the construct "VFL/AFL premierships", as has been amply demonstrated in this thread.

As I said before, here is a picture featuring the 1954 VFL premiership cup, and another picture of the 2012 AFL premiership cup. You will see that they are similar, but not the same.

Yet there are many on this thread who are trying to insist that they are the same, and what is worse they are getting extremely precious about insisting that everybody conforms to their skewed view of it.

What exactly is wrong with being accurate and factual?

What do the cups have to do with it? How is anyone here insisting they are "the same", beyond that they were both won in the same competition, which is the salient point here?

You know as well as I do, I would hope, that "accurate and factual" information can be contextually misleading. "9 VFL/AFL premierships" emphasises a salient fact (the VFL and AFL are one and the same competition) at the expense of a trivial one (flags pre-1990 bear the acronym "VFL", the rest "AFL"); "6 VFL premierships and 3 AFL premierships" does the reverse, favouring the trivial truth of the name change over the more relevant truth of the league's continuity. Neither is "wrong" per se, but there is no clarity in selectively emphasises the name on the flags, especially not at the expense of emphasising league continuity.

It is the same league, regardless of how much it has developed or what its name is. If the AFL was a new competition to the VFL and all teams in the VFL left to join the AFL then yes, VFL Premierships would have been irrelevant to the competition (like how the VFA Premierships are irrelevant to the current league because it is a breakaway league that teams joined). Because it is not a breakaway league but merely a name change to be inclusive of interstate sides, VFL Premierships are still relevant

SANFL flags are not relevant to this league because they were not won in this league.

What do the cups have to do with it? How is anyone here insisting they are "the same", beyond that they were both won in the same competition, which is the salient point here?

That there were two categories of premierships won in the same competition is indeed conveyed by the statement "6 VFL and 3 AFL premierships". It is obscured by the statement "9 VFL/AFL premierships", as has been comprehensively demonstrated by the views expressed in this thread.

That there were two categories of premierships won in the same competition is indeed conveyed by the statement "6 VFL and 3 AFL premierships". It is obscured by the statement "9 VFL/AFL premierships", as has been comprehensively demonstrated by the views expressed in this thread.

"Two categories" in what sense, beyond name? The question that is relevant is why the categories ought to be separated out - given there is evidence in this thread that even VFL/AFL is insufficient to indicate to some that they are the same competition, I can hardly accept that greater separation will convey that. A better choice of phrase, if seeking factual accuracy and clarity, might be "9 AFL premierships, 6 of which were won when it was called the VFL". It may be accurate to say "North Melbourne have 2 VFL and 1 AFL premiership, and Kangaroos have 1 AFL premiership", but an important connection is missed; similarly with "6 VFL and 3 AFL premierships", which is only more informative (and only marginally so in any case) when knowledge of league continuity is presumed.

Back