Discussion The VFA premierships debate - should they be recognised as elite level premierships?

How many tier 1 premierships have Geelong won?

• Total voters
Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Championship of Australia really has no relevance. The teams that travelled hardly won, and the players would have looked at the trip as as a holiday. No SA premier teams won when the match was played in Victoria. Of course the Adelaide teams would have been eager to knock off the Vic premier to prove themselves, but the Victorian team had played it's most important match of the year a week or two before.

And yet success in that competition has much more relevance than a competition where captains umpired the kick off...

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
AFL has been around since 1990. 2020 is 30 years on so maybe the answer might be to ONLY count AFL Flags, with previous trophies in other competitions counted in club records only.
No the AFL and VFL are the same thing it's been around since 1897.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Wrong.

It's a fact that the afl was started in 1990

It's an opinion that the AFL and VFL are the same thing.

Learn the difference.
They are the same ******* thing the AFL is the same competition as the (old) VFL. There was no breakaway, the league did not disband it merely changed it's branding, just like the SAFA/SAFL/SANFL.

How about you learn the ******* difference.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Wrong.

Learn the difference.

VFL was renamed to the AFL in 1990.

When a woman takes her husband's name after getting married, she is still actually the same person.

Likewise this particular football competition.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
No the AFL and VFL are the same thing it's been around since 1897.

I'm saying that it may become more acceptable generally by 2020 to only refer to AFL flags, using the VFA/VFL info quoted by:

Last year I purchased a boxed collection of all grand final records , up until about 1925 the pre 1897 pre ships were counted . I think they should as the VFA was the fore runner to the then VFL.

Wrong.

Learn the difference.
Can you please provide a source for this "fact"?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I love how the AFL retrospectively awarded premierships cups to the VFL clubs :rolleyes:.

And some extra ones for carlton becaue theyd loaned them to gangsta supporters and too scared to ask for them back when they wereent returned

Actually Im bending the truth, it was premiership flags

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
The underlying mechanics of the league changed in 1987.

Nah, 1925 when Footscray, North and Hawthorn added is the big jump of the league increasing in size of clubs by 25%. Then a few years on the McIntyre Final system started up that removed the challenge finals system for minor premiers and replaced with double chances for top and second placed team on ladder.
Sunday games in Sydney I think the next biggest change and then nights games starting up in 1985, then salary cap and then another two clubs in 1987.
Then the whole zoning system abolished and removal of under 19 teams in early 1990s to really jump into the full on drafting era that saw the drastic change of only 5 clubs winning the premiership from 1967 to 1991 to be turned on it's head by end of 1990's with 7 different clubs winning the premierships from 1990 to 1997.
Then probably the final 8 system coming into place that brought the underlying mechanics of finals system to decide premiership having two preliminary finals from 1994 onwards.
The addition of another two expansions clubs one after the other this decade to have a game each week in New South Wales and Queensland is the latest change in changing landscape from inception in 1897 to now of 8 founding clubs for the league expanding out to a total of 18 now.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Of course they bloody should. You support a club. You recognise its history. You should respect and know that history. Who gives a f#*#*# what letters it has before or after the competition name? The only rules that apply to 'Which one's count, and which don't' are those for each individual supporter.

If you don't want to recognise early premierships my club won pre-VFL, well, that's your problem, not mine.

Back