State Victoria - The Mighty Bushrangers

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win. White was excellent with the bat and felt that Short batted really well too. Tassie didn't attack Maxy at the start which was a mistake. Hard to pick the best bowler, all bowled great lines and lengths.

Onto round 1 of the Shield, WA in WA on Wednesday. Hard to see us playing a spinner over there given we don't have any seaming allrounders on the contract list so I think it's relatively safe to assume that we'll go with something like:

Dean
Harris
Maxwell (unless we lose him to the T20's in the UAE)
Handscomb
Pucovski
White
Gotch (had a really bad JLT but should be starting the 4 day stuff. A much better bat than Harper, who just made 1 in his FL game)
Tremain
Boland
Coleman
Fekete

I'm assuming we'll have Duck and Siddle back for round 2 at the MCG against NSW. Who will have an attack of Cummins, Hazlewood and O'Keefe. Oh joy.

White seemed unsure in his post innings interview yesterday whether he'd be in the side. Maddinson will probably get a run to start the season as well.
I talked to someone high up in CV at the SA game, Maddinson will be starting in the FL and Grade cricket for St. Kilda apparently.

Onto round 1 of the Shield, WA in WA on Wednesday. Hard to see us playing a spinner over there given we don't have any seaming allrounders on the contract list so I think it's relatively safe to assume that we'll go with something like:

Dean
Harris
Maxwell (unless we lose him to the T20's in the UAE)
Handscomb
Pucovski
White
Gotch (had a really bad JLT but should be starting the 4 day stuff. A much better bat than Harper, who just made 1 in his FL game)
Tremain
Boland
Coleman
Fekete

I'm assuming we'll have Duck and Siddle back for round 2 at the MCG against NSW. Who will have an attack of Cummins, Hazlewood and O'Keefe. Oh joy.
The T20 squad came out and Maxy was in it

The T20 squad came out and Maxy was in it
I know, I'm just unsure whether he misses the Shield game due to it, given the Shield runs 16th-19th and the first T20 is on the 24th. It's one of those things where if it were a few days either side he'd either definitely play or definitely miss.

Oh and we lost the FL game by an innings and 54 runs. Notable players:

Pattinson made 108 in the first dig followed by a duck in the second, bowled 4 overs, 0/14 in the bowling innings
Pucovski got 88 in the first and 40 in the second
Grimwade seemed to be the pick of the bowlers with 4/126 off 43 overs
Reed bowled pretty well after an injury interrupted 17/18, getting 3/97 off 26.1
Vines after a bumper 17/18 season only managed 25 and 30 in this match.
Sam Harper continues to struggle with the bat with 1 and 19 in his two innings', but took 4 catches in the bowling innings, two off Grimwade. Still the best pure keeper in the state.

Honestly looking at the scorecard the only one that deserves a gig in Perth would be Pucovski, it isn't the right place to give Sam Grimwade a debut. Might be a chance later in the year if Holland goes overseas again, because the 2 most "spin friendly" pitches are our last 2 games annoyingly.

Interesting reading the premier teams over the past 2 days.

Batting wise Travis Dean, Nic Maddinson, Peter Handscomb and Cameron White didn't play either day for their club. Marcus Harris (36 from 25), Will Pucovski (71 from 97), Matt Short (38 from 63 and 0/38 off 10) and Seb Gotch (3 from 9. Very lucky that Harper isn't making runs) played Saturday but not Sunday.
Bowling wise Chris Tremain, Scott Boland, Jackson Coleman and Andrew Fekete all didn't play either game.

Suspect that's our 12 man squad for WA. As for whom the 12th man will be, suspect it may be Short. White and Maddinson can provide the part time spin. Would rather have spinners who turn it the opposite direction to each other but go with the two better bats I suspect.

As a side note, James Pattinson played both games this weekend. Yesterday had 0/27 off 8 overs and made 32 from 42 batting at 5 and was part of a 43 run partnership with Premier Cricket Legend Brett Forsyth. Today he didn't bowl but made 22* from 27 batting at 3.

Some of the noteable futures league players from last year, and JLT this year:

Sam Grimwade went 0/38 off 9 and 2/40 off 10 in his two games
Zak Evans only played today, taking 1/43 off 10
Eamonn Vines made 1 yesterday but 69 from 97 today
Tom O'Connell took 2/45 yesterday and 2/59 today
Wes Agar took 2/42 off 10 and 0/28 off 8 respectively
Xavier Crone took 1/36 and 0/41 in his two games
Mack Harvey made 1 and 19 in his two digs
Jake Reed took 1/79 on yesterday but didn't play today.

Batting depth remains a worry. Grimwade seems to have more control than O'Connell but the latter is more dangerous it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Maddo doesn't play Saturday or Sunday for St. Kilda but fails to make the squad? Seems a bit strange.

Dean
Harris
Handscomb
Pucovski
White
Short
Gotch
Tremain
Boland
2x Coleman/Fekete/Ahmed

Suspect we'll go the 4 quicks given it's Perth and Short/White can bowl part time overs. Pucovski may bat 3 due to Hank seemingly preferring to bat 4. I really can't see us playing the 5 bowlers because Tremain, whilst a decent number 8, is no where near the standard for a bowling all rounder like a Pattinson or Copeland could be. Hope we get the win but I think WA have better batting depth and a well balanced attack with Mackin, Kelly and Green as good front liners, Qadir as a leggie (I suspect) and part time from any or all of Stoinis, Cartwright, Turner and Bosisto.

Does Fekete have a contract?
No. They just see him as being better than the likes of Agar, Evans and Crone right now, and fair enough, none of those (except mayyyyybe Crone) are ready for FC cricket right now. But watch for Evans, the kid is 18 and can already bowl 140+ clicks. Talking to a couple of guys at CV, I haven't heard them as excited in a fast bowling product from Victoria. Including Pattinson. Crone will eventually replace Sid/Boland as that kind of bowler in our 11.

No. They just see him as being better than the likes of Agar, Evans and Crone right now, and fair enough, none of those (except mayyyyybe Crone) are ready for FC cricket right now. But watch for Evans, the kid is 18 and can already bowl 140+ clicks. Talking to a couple of guys at CV, I haven't heard them as excited in a fast bowling product from Victoria. Including Pattinson. Crone will eventually replace Sid/Boland as that kind of bowler in our 11.

Croney would wanna start getting some wickets at district level soon tho. The kid is from my area and would love to see him make it but he isn't setting the world on fire at the minute

Croney would wanna start getting some wickets at district level soon tho. The kid is from my area and would love to see him make it but he isn't setting the world on fire at the minute
Crone's FL stats are good but yes, he seems to lack the nous to get more experienced bats out right now. Having been to a FL game last year I saw him bowl a 7/8 over spell and you could throw a handkerchief over where he bowled every ball. Needs to add a couple of tricks though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back