State Victoria - The Mighty Bushrangers

Remove this Banner Ad

Really interested to see what you guys do this off-season. I'd have been on the phone to Gabe Bell, Cam White, Sam Harper (think he'd give you guys a lot more than Nielson), and even someone like Hilton Cartwright.
There's some talk about Cam White

In a playing/coaching role for both Redbacks and Strikers.

Just idle talk though. No idea if anything behind it.

I rate Harper. Would love to get him but with Papa Nielsen calling the shots I'm not sure we'd go this way.

He did alright when he got a chance in the Big Bash didn't he? I can't actually recall. Had stopped watching by then haha

He must have turned heads somewhere though

(If what I heard is true anyway (returning to SA))

No he's never shown anything at all in Domestic Cricket. And I read the exact same thing in an article (him returning). We should almost consider making a play for his brother too.

There's some talk about Cam White

In a playing/coaching role for both Redbacks and Strikers.

Just idle talk though. No idea if anything behind it.

I rate Harper. Would love to get him but with Papa Nielsen calling the shots I'm not sure we'd go this way.
White doesn't fix your cultural issues in a year but he'd go a long way to helping it.

Harper could legitimately play as a top 6 bat for SA, especially if Head is occupied by national duties.
No he's never shown anything at all in Domestic Cricket. And I read the exact same thing in an article (him returning). We should almost consider making a play for his brother too.
I reckon his brother should move to Tassie. Would be guaranteed games every week at 7 and being the primary spin bowler.
Perhaps we can piggyback Hilton Cartright's signing at the Stars and get him to Vic as well?

Where is Kane Richardson off to?
Hm. I think Hilton's a good talent but I think he'd be better off going to SA or Tassie honestly.

Confirmed by Cricket Victoria. It's been a pleasure Bear! Full contract list to come out in the coming days. I wouldn't expect too much change otherwise. For me our best XI for each format:

FC:

Harris
Maddinson
Pucovski
Handscomb
Maxwell
Short
Gotch (+)
Pattinson
Tremain
Boland
Holland

List A:

Harris
Maddinson
Handscomb
Maxwell
Pucovski
Short
Sutherland
Pattinson
Tremain
Holland
Coleman

Confirmed by Cricket Victoria. It's been a pleasure Bear! Full contract list to come out in the coming days. I wouldn't expect too much change otherwise. For me our best XI for each format:

FC:

Harris
Maddinson
Pucovski
Handscomb
Maxwell
Short
Gotch (+)
Pattinson
Tremain
Boland
Holland

List A:

Harris
Maddinson
Handscomb
Maxwell
Pucovski
Short
Sutherland
Pattinson
Tremain
Holland
Coleman

Finch unlucky :think:

Sad day for Victorian cricket. Can't agree with the decision.

No doubt someone like SA will give him a contract and he will play good cricket there.

Finch unlucky :think:
Damn, I knew I was forgetting somebody!
Sad day for Victorian cricket. Can't agree with the decision.

No doubt someone like SA will give him a contract and he will play good cricket there.
When you get down to it, Short had more runs in the same amount of innings at a higher average than White, and Shorty is fringe XI when we're at full strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

26 Victorians in a list of 31. Bolded are CA, italicised are imports. Breaking it down:

4 opening batsmen (Ayre, Dean, Harris, Vines)
7 middle order batsmen (Finch, Handscomb, Harvey, Maddinson, Pucovski. Rookies: Fraser-McGurk, Newman)
4 all rounders (Maxwell, Short, Sutherland. Rookie: Merlo)
3 keepers (Gotch, Harper. Rookie: Rowe)
11 fast bowlers (Boland, Coleman, Crone, Evans, Fekete, Pattinson, Reed, Siddle, Tremain. Rookies: Elliott, Perry)
2 spin bowlers (Holland, O'Connell)

Not counting Ayre as a keeper because he doesn't keep for Essendon anymore. If I were to break it down into a FC XI and a FL XII it would look like this:

Maddinson (yes I know I listed him as middle order)
Harris
Pucovski
Handscomb (c)
Maxwell
Finch
Gotch (+)
Pattinson
Tremain
Boland
Holland

Dean (c)
Ayre
Vines
Short
Harper (+)
Harvey
Newman
Sutherland
O'Connell
Siddle
Crone
Evans

Given you can have 12 in the FL I decided to go with the extra bat in Newman rather than Reed. If you wanted 7 bowlers I would have added Merlo.

For those interested, Ian Holland (who now plies his trade for Hampshire) has been named in a provisional 30-man squad for the USA.
Good on him. Who's that through?

One Day Fixture:

21/09: WA, WACA
23/09: Tas, WACA
29/09: Qld, Junction Oval
01/10: Qld, Junction Oval
23/10: WA, WACA
17/11: NSW, MCG
19/11: SA, MCG

Every team will be at full strength for the first half of the season. Not sure if we'll have Aussies for the WA match due to there being a T20 international 4 days later, or if our test players will play on the 17th with the first test being 4 days later. Pretty certain we won't have them for SA though. Best XI for me in this format:

Finch
Harris
Maddinson
Handscomb (c, +)
Maxwell
Short
Sutherland
Pattinson
Tremain
Holland
Coleman

I know people will ark up about Coleman but he had the most wickets for us last year at a good average and economy rate.

One Day Fixture:

21/09: WA, WACA
23/09: Tas, WACA
29/09: Qld, Junction Oval
01/10: Qld, Junction Oval
23/10: WA, WACA
17/11: NSW, MCG
19/11: SA, MCG

Every team will be at full strength for the first half of the season. Not sure if we'll have Aussies for the WA match due to there being a T20 international 4 days later, or if our test players will play on the 17th with the first test being 4 days later. Pretty certain we won't have them for SA though. Best XI for me in this format:

Finch
Harris
Maddinson
Handscomb (c, +)
Maxwell
Short
Sutherland
Pattinson
Tremain
Holland
Coleman

I know people will ark up about Coleman but he had the most wickets for us last year at a good average and economy rate.
Good to see CA learn from the World Cup. Fell short and now the ODD comp has a meaningless hit n giggle game interrupting it.

do any of the vic premier sides use junction oval as a home ground at all?
St. Kilda. Who have 5 contracted Victorians in Maddinson, Hank, Harris, Merlo and Rowe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back