The Victorian Fixture Favoritism thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No but they did have in mind the Womens and Childrens Hospital Appeal - whcih is victorian.

Its not as if its the only kids hospital in the country, but the Appeal is a part of the fabric of Victoria & 7 is its telecasters - for WA BF posters in the equivalent of WA's telethon.

And they wouldnt leak it to the media to get public support for their push? Please

Just admit they have not tried, rather than THE GRAND VICTORIAN CONSPIRACY is keeping nice things away from them

Yeah, i'm sure all these clubs are just crying out to play more Sunday twilight games on Fox, simply because they don't run a media campaign about their league requests.

Are you suggesting the Eagles requested to play 3 of its first 5 games in Melbourne & kept it from the press .... :rolleyes: .... lets get off to a good start, play our first 3 games on the road in Melbourne.

They didnt play 3 in a row on the road - probably never have unless its finals. They play at home every second week as they have done since...at least 1995.

Are you suggesting the Eagles requested to play 3 of its first 5 games in Melbourne & kept it from the press .... :rolleyes: .... lets get off to a good start, play our first 3 games on the road in Melbourne.

What has any of that got to do with wa teams lobbying or not lobbying for permanent blockbuster fixtures?

Yeah, i'm sure all these clubs are just crying out to play more Sunday twilight games on Fox, simply because they don't run a media campaign about their league requests.

Again, what has any of this got to do with wa clubs lobbying or not lobbying for permanent blockbuster games?

11 games, where did you get that from?
How many games are the Hawks playing in Melbourne, games not just 'home' games?
Hawks are playing 13 games in Melbourne, not that different to Eagles 12 in Perth....

okay, link to wa media for any freo/wce efforts to get blockbuster schedules that were rejected

fwiw my guess is they dont because they dont want them. you have excess demand in your city, wait lists for memberships and sponsors, and 22 fully booked games a year. every game is already maxed out

Len hall Anzac Day game, which was s great fixture here.

Given it was played on saturday i dont think the afl has rejected it. Fwiw im personally in favour of a wa game on anzac day

Freo do not want to play on Anzac Day if it's a weekday.

The Len Hall tribute match on Saturday night is likely to be the last time Fremantle play on Anzac Day until 2020.

Anzac Day will fall from Monday to Thursday in the next four years and the Dockers won’t request any mid-week fixtures in the coming years.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/fremantle-dockers/dockers-anzac-tribute-to-move-ng-ya-108841

I've counted up the number of times Vic teams and non-Vic teams play on a Friday night (and the Thursday night before a public holiday) this season and it's 24 times for the Vic clubs and 20 for the non-Vic clubs.

Though they may have been under represented in the past, there can hardly be any grounds for collective complaint on this front this year.

I've counted up the number of times Vic teams and non-Vic teams play on a Friday night (and the Thursday night before a public holiday) this season and it's 24 times for the Vic clubs and 20 for the non-Vic clubs.

Though they may have been under represented in the past, there can hardly be any grounds for collective complaint on this front this year.

So the 10 Vic clubs play an average of 2.4 times, while the 8 non-Vic play an average of 2.5 times....Damn those inconvenient facts.

Meanwhile, Vic clubs missing out of Friday nights are missing out of FTA coverage into their home market and the income/exposure that brings in, while non Vic clubs get such coverage whatever time slot they play in.

As for the complaints about blockbusters, etc...when was the last time non Vic clubs didn't get 2 Derbies/showdowns/whatever per year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has any of that got to do with wa teams lobbying or not lobbying for permanent blockbuster fixtures?

Your suggestion they could lobby for a favourable FIXturing ... history suggests only some clubs can move games with next to no problem.

Your post that the Eagles don't need events to pull a crowd at Subi is so true.

So the 10 Vic clubs play an average of 2.4 times, while the 8 non-Vic play an average of 2.5 times....Damn those inconvenient facts.

Meanwhile, Vic clubs missing out of Friday nights are missing out of FTA coverage into their home market and the income/exposure that brings in, while non Vic clubs get such coverage whatever time slot they play in.

As for the complaints about blockbusters, etc...when was the last time non Vic clubs didn't get 2 Derbies/showdowns/whatever per year?

Supply & demand in action - 'events' entice the more casual fan in Melbourne?

Your suggestion they could lobby for a favourable FIXturing ... history suggests only some clubs can move games with next to no problem.

Your post that the Eagles don't need events to pull a crowd at Subi is so true.

Talk was never about the fixture, but blockbusters and his complaint wa was ignored

I dont think its youve been ignored, but that you havent chased them.because you havent needed them

Fwiw i think this will change with the bigger stadium (which wont be a 100% sell out every week)

Talk was never about the fixture, but blockbusters and his complaint wa was ignored

I dont think its youve been ignored, but that you havent chased them.because you havent needed them

Fwiw i think this will change with the bigger stadium (which wont be a 100% sell out every week)

:thumbsu: that's right, not required.

Stadium depends on the seating allocation in the Eagles case, GA is a roll of the dice. Be interesting.

Of the Melbourne clubs, only St Kilda currently have no marquee events.

• Season opener - Blues/Tigers
  • Good Friday - North/Bulldogs (assuming they keep it)
  • Easter Monday - Hawks/Cats
  • Anzac Day eve - Tigers/Dees
  • Anzac Day - Pies/Bombers
  • Dreamtime - Tigers/Bombers
  • Queens Birthday - Pies/Dees
  • Pink Lady - Dees v ? (
Some of these are "exclusive" because they are theoretically the brainchild of someone at one or both clubs.
The Queens Birthday game is really just a benefit game for the Melbourne FC. It's always a home match for Melbourne and they always get all the gate. I'd be happy for this 'marquee event' for Melbourne to be shared.

The Queens Birthday game is really just a benefit game for the Melbourne FC. It's always a home match for Melbourne and they always get all the gate. I'd be happy for this 'marquee event' for Melbourne to be shared.

It is an Eddie gift.

It really isn't.

Sure, the gate might go to Melbourne, but Collingwood gets plenty out of it, both from their members attending (Collingwood gets a cut), and extra exposure for their Sponsors & Players ($$$$). They also get to use it, as you guys are, as a PR ploy about what a great club they are helping Melbourne out, allowing them to be even more self interested the rest of the time as they have this 'cover'.

It really isn't.

Sure, the gate might go to Melbourne, but Collingwood gets plenty out of it, both from their members attending (Collingwood gets a cut), and extra exposure for their Sponsors & Players ($$$$). They also get to use it, as you guys are, as a PR ploy about what a great club they are helping Melbourne out, allowing them to be even more self interested the rest of the time as they have this 'cover'.

Well i would agree that in general no one does something for nothing, but i think the initial gesture was pretty gracious.

But Eddie has threatened to pull the agreement when it suits.

Everything comes with strings, there are no free lunches.

Fair call, but we'll see in future years whether this is a genuine change in attitude or just an outlier.

Fair call, but we'll see in future years whether this is a genuine change in attitude or just an outlier.

Yeah, lets see if the AFL continues screwing over Vic clubs by taking away more of the few games that provide them FTA TV coverage in their home markets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back