FTA-TV The Virtues

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The Virtues is the best mini-series I've watched for a while. The acting was outstanding, particularly by Stephen Graham, but by all the cast including the child actors. The story and characters are well written by Shane Meadows and Jack Thorne. Then Meadows as director creates scenes that feel real, whether it's a bunch of cheeky kids round the breakfast table or an alcoholic going completely off the rails in a pub. The underlying subject matter is fairly grim but it's tastefully handled, and there's plenty of lighter moments.

I believe it's on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
Just finished watching all four episodes.

Yeah grim is the word for it. Fantastically written, acted and directed. I'm a fan of letting scenes play out slowly and this series uses that to full effect. It all feels real. There were opportunities for it to slip into lazy cliche but that didn't happen.

I thought the ending was appropriate. I'm a little lost on the religious theme, the title The Virtues I assume being an allusionn to the Catholic concept of such.

A key theme I enjoyed was the contrast between being judgemental and empathetic. I think this series says that there is a place for judgement, but only after truly engaging and trying to understand someone.

Spoilers:

The other one being that it's important to seek help, but ultimately only the individual can truly understand their own demons, and as such, it's up to the individual to confront them. We see this with Anna and Michael; both superficially, yet practically very helpful by homing and feeding Dinah and doing the same plus giving work to Joe. Whilst they really needed this, they were in some ways patronising in the way they did it. And in the end, when they really needed them, Michael wasn't there, and Anna, well, she just didn't get it, rendering her good intentions useless at best, harmful at worst.

The Virtues is the best mini-series I've watched for a while. The acting was outstanding, particularly by Stephen Graham, but by all the cast including the child actors.

Couldn't agree more. Another quality UK limited series. And Stephen Graham may well be Britain's best actor.

Just watched all 4 episodes in a sort of mini binge.

Dark / Humerous and intriguing straight from the get go. One minute I was laughing and the next minute feeling absolute heartache.

Literally fantastic viewing and excellent acting throughout in a must see IMO.

Dinah stole the show and what a star in the making this young Irish actress will be.

9/10.

Just watched all 4 episodes in a sort of mini binge.

Dark / Humerous and intriguing straight from the get go. One minute I was laughing and the next minute feeling absolute heartache.

Literally fantastic viewing and excellent acting throughout in a must see IMO.

Dinah stole the show and what a star in the making this young Irish actress will be.

9/10.

Apparently she used to box professionally and they incorporated that into the script.

This is how she looked in Raised By Wolves.

1613294026323.png

good series but very grim.

stephen grahame is such a good actor.

particularly great as an alcoholic for someone who i read is tee.

felt sorry for the craigie character

The Virtues is the best mini-series I've watched for a while.

THIS... So much this. Just wow. An absolute masterclass in acting & directing. If (at the very least) Meadows & Graham don't win awards for this, I'll make something out of paper mache myself and ship it over to them. (EDIT: It got Chernobyl'd so to speak, so I better start working on that paper mache)

Usually, if I rate anything a 9 out of 10 or above, I can't wait to recommend it to pretty much everyone I know that watches quality television. I'm sure I will with this series as well, BUT it will come with some warnings & disclaimers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back