The WACA - Downfall

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with you - I said it.

What's wrong with you - I said it.
You really should try and comprehend a little harder.
You also make up a lot of things I've supposedly said.
Frankly, I could ask you the same question.

If you go back and read what you are saying you will realise that I am not making anything up.

Frankly, I could ask you the same question.

The difference is you make up statements about me.
I don't care. Enjoy your quaint cricket in your quaint stadiums but it's impossible to have large capacity stadiums and charm.
A large capacity stadium physically requires space given over to as much seating as possible.
A large capacity stadium physically requires multi- levels for optimum capacity and sight lines.
Charm is arbitrary but tin roofs, pole obstructions, wooden bench seats, a mismatch of stadia and a pathetic patch of grass seem to suffice.

The difference is you make up statements about me.
I don't care. Enjoy your quaint cricket in your quaint stadiums but it's impossible to have large capacity stadiums and charm.
A large capacity stadium physically requires space given over to as much seating as possible.
A large capacity stadium physically requires multi- levels for optimum capacity and sight lines.
Charm is arbitrary but tin roofs, pole obstructions, wooden bench seats, a mismatch of stadia and a pathetic patch of grass seem to suffice.
That very last para seems to describe the WACA perfectly.

I think the biggest disappointment about the WACA redevelopment, is that it won’t get used for AFLW. Which will be the most frequent sporting event which have the biggest crowds that are not played at Optus Stadium. As the WACA Ground will still have a cricket pitch at that time of the year.

I think the biggest disappointment about the WACA redevelopment, is that it won’t get used for AFLW. Which will be the most frequent sporting event which have the biggest crowds that are not played at Optus Stadium. As the WACA Ground will still have a cricket pitch at that time of the year.
Even if it was available I think both Fremantle and West Coast would prefer to play at their home grounds.

Potentially AFLW Finals?
WAFL Finals?

Absolutely no need for the WACA to host any of these. The crowd capacity of the WACA has been reduced to about 20,000. There's a few regualr WAFL grounds (Leederville, Fremantle, Joondalup, Bassendean) which would already be in the 15-20K range, so there is no advantage of moving the games to the WACA. I think Lathlain and Rushton Park are around the 10K mark, and Claremont about 5K, so maybe they could be moved - but there is the big question of whether enough people show up to WAFL finals (apart from the GF) to need more than 10K anyhow. Plus, using the existing WAFL ground they don't need to worry about the centre wicket area and hardness of the ground and all that.

If East Perth move home games to the WACA Ground, I would presume they would still need another venue (probably Leederville or perhaps somewhere in the north-eastern suburbs closer to their player zone catchment) as a training ground, in particular for pre-season periods.

I would also imagine it would be a financial hit to the WAFL clubs moving a match of the round to the WACA Ground, as the WACA would likely take catering revenue, whilst the club would have taken that revenue if it was played at their own ground. And it’s not likely to increase crowd attendance.

So there would have to be some sort of an incentive to loose the game at their home ground.

I can see no need to play WAFL at the WACA. Tyere were 2 main arguments for it. Firstly the light towers, and secondly the TV broadcast facilities.

The price of lights has changed dramatically in the last decade with the invention of LED lighting. It might now be feasible to add modern lighting somewhere else. That is if they are still keen on playing WAFL night games on a Friday in competition with the AFL.

Same sort of thing goes for digital TV broadcasting. Equipment costs have come down. More of the production type stuff can be done remotely at the studios rather than at the ground.

I can see no need to play WAFL at the WACA. Tyere were 2 main arguments for it. Firstly the light towers, and secondly the TV broadcast facilities.

The price of lights has changed dramatically in the last decade with the invention of LED lighting. It might now be feasible to add modern lighting somewhere else. That is if they are still keen on playing WAFL night games on a Friday in competition with the AFL.

Same sort of thing goes for digital TV broadcasting. Equipment costs have come down. More of the production type stuff can be done remotely at the studios rather than at the ground.

So who pays for this stuff? Someone else, maybe anyone else.
I agree playing WAFL footy at the WACA is incurring unnecessary cost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sense the WAFC are better off dedicating resources to upgrading Leederville Oval, or somewhere similar as a premier WAFL ground.

It already hosts two WAFL clubs, state games, pre-season AFL games, AFLW games and is centrally located near a train station and a town centre.

And won’t have to deal with the cricket pitch.

Last edited:
So who pays for this stuff? Someone else, maybe anyone else.
I agree playing WAFL footy at the WACA is incurring unnecessary cost.

The TV broadcaster, for the TV related bits.

Not sure about lighting, probably the taxpayer in one form or another, if it ever happens. Unlikely, but if it does happen it will not be needing the big concrete light towers like the WACA have now. It could be done with much cheaper steel masts, which also will probably not need to be so high since they are not dealing with cricket balls.

But the thing is whether having night WAFL games will ever really take on. They will always be up against an AFL match on a Friday and Saturday night. Friday night AFL games will always be a big drawcard fixture. Even with the 2 hour time delay there is going to be some overlap, so effectively the WAFL is competing for an audience with the AFL. Not sure it is a viable business model. In fact, pretty much any timeslot over a weekend will compete with the AFL for an audience.

Last edited:
The TV broadcaster, for the TV related bits.

Not sure about lighting, probably the taxpayer in one form or another, if it ever happens. Unlikely, but if it does happen it will not be needing the big concrete light towers like the WACA have now. It could be done with much cheaper steel masts, which also will probably not need to be so high since they are not dealing with cricket balls.

But the thing is whether having night WAFL games will ever really take on. They will always be up against an AFL match on a Friday and Saturday night. Friday night AFL games will always be a big drawcard fixture. Even with the 2 hour time delay there is going to be some overlap, so effectively the WAFL is competing for an audience with the AFL. Not sure it is a viable business model. In fact, pretty much any timeslot over a weekend will compete with the AFL for an audience.

The place is maintained at a cost, prepared for a game at a cost .. cleaned etc. Someone pays, usually the user.

A live WAFL match beats a televised AFL match.
People go to a WAFL match because they like going to a WAFL match.
They could use the timezone to get it to work. Like start it a bit later so AFL game over and show the afl game on big screen for those that get their early rather than some inane bullshit pre-game fan engagement stuff

They could use the timezone to get it to work. Like start it a bit later so AFL game over and show the afl game on big screen for those that get their early rather than some inane bullshit pre-game fan engagement stuff

Would that encourage you to go to the WAFL ?
IMO, showing the scores would be more than enough.

The WAFL need to minimise the number of grounds they play on, conserve the $s.
Someone pays to open the ovals for use by the public, usually whoever wants to use the venue.
There is a big issue with WAFL clubs and use of their ovals.

Most clubs also have 3 women's teams who need to train but the majority all train away from their home base. A lot of clubs are having trouble getting access to local footy grounds as they all have existing football clubs using them.

Not naming the team but their is a bit of angst in the northern suburbs with a certain WAFL club trying to take over local grounds.

Most clubs also have 3 women's teams who need to train but the majority all train away from their home base. A lot of clubs are having trouble getting access to local footy grounds as they all have existing football clubs using them.

Not naming the team but their is a bit of angst in the northern suburbs with a certain WAFL club trying to take over local grounds.

I was referring to the number of grounds played on at WAFL level.
Even in the WAFL days when there was a 4ths team, there was a shortage of training facilities.

Very true Blueboy and this whole talk of rationalising WAFL grounds to share only 4 or so is just ludicrous in this day and age.
All WAFL clubs will have a Mens- League, Reserves, Colts, Futures (16s) plus their 13s, 14s, 15s development squads using the clubs facilities.
Then most WAFL clubs will also have the same as above for their Womens WAFLW program.
That is already a helluva lot of ground/club usage/share age for just one club let alone doubling it with 2!
Swans have built a dedicated SD womens changerooms at Bassendean to help alleviate this issue.

Most WAFL clubs are also trying to be more relevant to their local community as a sporting/community hub, I am not sure how moving their home games 20km away is local community minded at all?!

From the planning minsters Facebook page. Latest images for the WACA Ground. The lack of shade is very disappointing

163608027_5584814031543779_1895088872495838156_o.jpg

164302832_5584814204877095_3950660536615906383_o.jpg

164472060_5584814028210446_3017769359275993757_o.jpg

164681964_5584814228210426_1356033491740746080_o.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back