The WACA - Downfall

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that ruins everything. By trying to save face with his Perth Modern backflip McGowan might have just destroyed the WACA

not sure I understand what you mean ... please explain?
McGowan's plan is to retain Subiaco Oval, build a school on Kitchener Park and include sweeteners to keep the WAFC based at Subiaco. Considering their latest press release the WAFC almost certainly prefer staying than moving to the WACA if they can help it. Will almost certainly mean no Government funding will be spent on a WACA redevelopment anytime soon.

McGowan's plan is to retain Subiaco Oval, build a school on Kitchener Park and include sweeteners to keep the WAFC based at Subiaco. Considering their latest press release the WAFC almost certainly prefer staying than moving to the WACA if they can help it. Will almost certainly mean no Government funding will be spent on a WACA redevelopment anytime soon.

OK I get ya.

I remarked in one of the other threads that the thing that stood out for me too was the possible WAFC HQ in that picture. I also thought the plan was for them to move to the WACA. I was thinking perhaps this is the last sticking point in the new stadium negotiations with the state government.

The plans for that school look good. Keep Subi minimal and a boutique stadium ala the new Claremont Oval and you don't pay for upkeep. Get Subiaco Football Club in there too - in a way that's good timing considering West Perth heading back to Leederville (surely three teams all playing at Leedy is too hard to sustain).

You could turn the WACA into a great boutique oval as well. But ultimately if Perth has a new 60,000 seat arena, a perfect little ground for soccer and the odd rugby game, and an arena, plus the remodelled mini-Subi... that's four top tier arenas for four totally different needs, all done within the last decade and all paid for and sorted for the next 35-odd years. It's a good outcome and unfortunately either the WACA would be shifted to the front and Subi torn down, or Subi would be downsized and the WACA be upgraded.

Then of course there's the scary but very Perth scenario of them leaving the WACA to fall down and forcing them to Perth Stadium and then them selling Subi completely off...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then of course there's the scary but very Perth scenario of them leaving the WACA to fall down and forcing them to Perth Stadium and then them selling Subi completely off...

Won't happen unless the Government wants to encounter the same problems Victoria used to have every year around March. Cricket needs a separate administration and training base and a venue to host domestic cricket, women's cricket and low-drawing internationals. Pretty sure the Government or Barnett at least didn't want any sport or team to be 'based' at Perth Stadium. Hence why West Coast had to move to Lathlain and the WAFC were on the verge of moving into the WACA.

The plans for that school look good. Keep Subi minimal and a boutique stadium ala the new Claremont Oval and you don't pay for upkeep. Get Subiaco Football Club in there too - in a way that's good timing considering West Perth heading back to Leederville (surely three teams all playing at Leedy is too hard to sustain).

You could turn the WACA into a great boutique oval as well. But ultimately if Perth has a new 60,000 seat arena, a perfect little ground for soccer and the odd rugby game, and an arena, plus the remodelled mini-Subi... that's four top tier arenas for four totally different needs, all done within the last decade and all paid for and sorted for the next 35-odd years. It's a good outcome and unfortunately either the WACA would be shifted to the front and Subi torn down, or Subi would be downsized and the WACA be upgraded.

I dont think that will be happening in this lifetime!
West Perth FC are currently having a new clubhouse, clubrooms built at Arena Joondalup (HBF Arena) with Government/AFL funding ready for the 2018 season.

West Perth's community engagement with the northern suburbs is seemingly one of the very successful elements of the modern day WAFL. Would be mad to change it.

Am I going crazy? I swear at the start of the season there was a meeting held by West Perth Football Club, basically because at the end of the 2016 season the Joondalup council initiated the idea that for them to continue their sponsorship of the club, they would have to be renamed Joondalup. The ideas were Joondalup Falcons or else the club would pull out, refuse the sponsorship money, and go back to Leederville where they would continue as West Perth.

Seriously I swear this happened.

Am I going crazy? I swear at the start of the season there was a meeting held by West Perth Football Club, basically because at the end of the 2016 season the Joondalup council initiated the idea that for them to continue their sponsorship of the club, they would have to be renamed Joondalup. The ideas were Joondalup Falcons or else the club would pull out, refuse the sponsorship money, and go back to Leederville where they would continue as West Perth.

Seriously I swear this happened.

They decided by a member vote to not take the city of Joondalup sponsorship of 40k per season to stay as West Perth. So all that has happened is they have got that sponsorship from elsewhere now.
They are staying at Joondalup and the government is building them a new facility. They will not be coming back to Leederville.
I think it will happen in time a name change, West Perth Football club trading as the Joondalup Falcons but at the moment there are still plenty of members who will not vote for it. In time they will pass and move on and the vote will swing towards Joondalup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the Test yesterday with some friends. One of my mate's uncles is from England. I was talking to him about when the WACA Ground was bigger, holding over 10,000 more people prior to the 2000/01 redevelopment.

I couldn't find any panoramas of the stadium at that time online, nor was there any photos of the stadium in the museum.

Does anyone have any photos of the stadium prior to the 2000/01 redevelopment?

Many thanks

^^
004422.jpg

004423.jpg

As stated on another thread the Scorchers are going to wear their BBL01 guernseys for their last game at the WACA

6pm and it looks like a bumper crowd is in, Channel 10 are also showing highlights of the ground's time as a BBL ground in between overs

It had lights because of the AFL. Funnily enough, Cometti in his book talks about when he was on the feasibility panel to assess whether it was worth putting lights in. He found cricket had virtually no use for them and the VFL (as it was known) couldn't have given 2 shits about what time the Eagles played their games at as long as the licence fee came in on time. So the panel had to recommend no lights, only to find the decision had already been made.

Subi wouldn't have got it at the time because of the local residents. Over time they've been told to shut the **** up given they chose to move near the largest stadium in the state.

Which book? Sounds interesting.

Love all this nostalgia about a franchise team barely ten years old who play what, five times a year at the ground?

Subi barely got that much attention.
Yes I did have to laugh with them making a big deal out of it and us wearing the "retro" shirts from a whole 6 years ago :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back