FTA-TV The Walking Dead - No spoiler info before AU screening: Season 7, 8, 9, 10 + NEW: The Ones Who Live

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree with some of the assessments on the previous page, I thought it was a shocking premiere that demonstrated everything that's wrong with the show now.

If you were ever attached to the show, you weren't attached to it because of the idea of all-out, weapon-oriented war between essentially faceless human soldiers. You were attached to it because of the small cast that was well-developed; the constant morality vs. survival dilemma; the human emotion that came with hardship and the battle to contain that for your own survival; and the progress towards a solution - or, at the very least, short-term safety.

The episode was just another addition to the growing pile of evidence that the writers have lost all sight of what the show's strengths were in the first place. I have very little interest in watching 50 characters I have no attachment to shoot at walls, cars and windows for 40 minutes.

I don't agree with some of the assessments on the previous page, I thought it was a shocking premiere that demonstrated everything that's wrong with the show now.

If you were ever attached to the show, you weren't attached to it because of the idea of all-out, weapon-oriented war between essentially faceless human soldiers. You were attached to it because of the small cast that was well-developed; the constant morality vs. survival dilemma; the human emotion that came with hardship and the battle to contain that for your own survival; and the progress towards a solution - or, at the very least, short-term safety.

The episode was just another addition to the growing pile of evidence that the writers have lost all sight of what the show's strengths were in the first place. I have very little interest in watching 50 characters I have no attachment to shoot at walls, cars and windows for 40 minutes.
Were people really praising it (haven't read far back)? It was pretty average. I agree with pretty much everything you have said here. Probably the last great moment was Rick biting the throats out of some bad guy, showing the little ne between the living and dead had become very blurred.

Last edited:

I doubt they (the writers) even take it seriously anymore. The show is without shame despite the increasingly stupid decisions the characters make. And for TWD, that's saying something.

There is way too much content to watch these days without resorting to this shite.

giphy.gif

You mean Robert Kirkman?

Maybe there will be a large cull of characters?
Honestly, as much as I'm not a huge fan of either character, I'd be thrilled if they were to just have Carl and Rick leave the rest and make their own way for some reason. Cut the cast right down to nothing and start again. I like other characters more but they would present a great opportunity to get the show back to its very human core.

It would never happen, but if I were writing it and looking for a circuit breaker, that's the direction I'd go in.

Honestly, as much as I'm not a huge fan of either character, I'd be thrilled if they were to just have Carl and Rick leave the rest and make their own way for some reason. Cut the cast right down to nothing and start again. I like other characters more but they would present a great opportunity to get the show back to its very human core.

It would never happen, but if I were writing it and looking for a circuit breaker, that's the direction I'd go in.
They have sort of mastered control of the zombies now. With this and FTWD they have come up with lots of clever places zombies might hide, lots of threats that they have overcome. It's a bit like the Superman comics: he is invincible, then he became super intelligent too. Every encounter leaves them stronger, so what we mainly have is danger generated by silly mistakes. Silly mistakes, over confidence etc are very likely, but they feel contrived. They make as many mistakes as the plot requires.

I get the revenge aspect, but don’t really understand why they just don’t move on. The country is virtually empty. If there are assholes in one area just keep going.
I think the rationale was that they didn't have the resources to move on and survive.

They have the resources to start all-out war and sustain three camps with seemingly everybody on the front lines rather than gathering supplies, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This show is ridiculous with all the quick cutting from scene to scene, making us question if it's a dream sequence or not etc...

not enjoying this season so far.

Kill Morgan, the character has run its course and is just re-treading old ground.

Either use Daryl and Carol properly or kill them. Do something with Enid and Rosita or they can go too.

Kill Tara and let us stare at her dead body for 30 minutes so we have time to celebrate.

Have Ezekiel mauled by his own tiger and then sack whoever writes his lines immediately.

Give us something new with Michonne or kill her and use her as a pawn to bring back crazy Rick. Eugene has been fun but has run his course unless they've got something new - a grand plan would be nice rather than just cowering behind whoever he sees as being the strongest.

Forget the junk people ever existed.

Maggie has the makings of a good character but is being weighed down by the screen time being given to the turnip characters. Ditto Dwight and Jesus. I think Simon can hold his own as a villain but it can't be a seamless transition from Negan - some time off before a reappearance would be welcome.

The bond between Rick and Carl needs to be the cornerstone of where this heads now; it was where it all started and has been seriously underutilised since then. Neither are particularly strong characters individually but that dynamic is powerful and the two are different enough to create a very interesting pairing.

Kill Rosita, Gabriel, Aaron, Negan, Gregory, Gavin and every single other character I haven't mentioned because if I don't know who they are at this point they are a complete waste of screen time. This includes Rick's other kid because I still have no idea what her name is and don't think I've seen her on screen for longer than a second in about three seasons.

Give them a reason to fear the zombies again. Loss of weaponry, mutation (which they appeared to briefly foreshadow in this ep?), Pokemon-style evolution, I literally do not give a *, just make them more threatening than a water bottle for a change.

Give them a purpose. Show them a path to end this infestation. Make a concerted effort to move them towards it. I don't care how many roadblocks you want to put between them and their goal, just show us a plan.

TL;DR reboot the show completely it's done

Last edited:
The bond between Rick and Carl needs to be the cornerstone of where this heads now; it was where it all started and has been seriously underutilised since then.
You twisted campaigner. The only reason I'm still watching this show is to watch Carl cop a bullet between the eyes... And you want to make him a central focus?

The biggest highlight of the entire show was when that little prick lost an eye.

You twisted campaigner. The only reason I'm still watching this show is to watch Carl cop a bullet between the eyes... And you want to make him a central focus?

The biggest highlight of the entire show was when that little prick lost an eye.
Oh don't worry, I'd be equally happy to see him cark it. I don't like him at all. I think the father and son dynamic, with a greater focus on it, could help the show regain that human element though. I think the two work well together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back