Strategy The War Chest

Remove this Banner Ad

Mrs works at a retirement home, can possibly help out if need be. Footy is a brotherhood, think we should help everyone where possible.

She'd have good access to drugs there.

Maybe you should get her in touch with Jobe and the boys, they are probably having withrawal symptoms and need a fix.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA I have NEVER heard that before.
1223px-Ironing.jpg

Not sure what makes anyone think we have a war chest. We have like significant debt which is more or less the opposite of having a war chest.
Problem is you're confusing football dept and player cap spending with other spending.

They're completely different.

We have the ability to pay the cap or close to it and we have parts of that cap not being used due to front ended contracts and up coming retirements, therefore we have free money to use to lure a player. It's why we offered 700k to a bloke last year to try and get him across.

The debt is "in hand" and won't affect player cap spending too significantly.

Problem is you're confusing football dept and player cap spending with other spending.

We have the ability to pay the cap or close to it and we have parts of that cap not being used due to front ended contracts and up coming retirements, therefore we have free money to use to lure a player. It's why we offered 700k to a bloke last year to try and get him across.

Okay but we're talking about bringing in Clarko. Unless we're planning to add him to the list, I don't think the salary cap is relevant...

Yep.

As a very rough snapshot (very rough, like Donald Trump and Basil Zempilas had a love child rough), IIRC our gross income is around $20-25m. Say $22m. Including AFL payments, gate receipts etc.

The salary cap is $10.6m. You're always going to spend as close to that amount as you can in order to keep a list of 40 players in the good graces of their respective dealers.

That leaves about $11m to spend. I'd love to have $11m to spend after I paid the wages of 40 of my most expensive employees.

We've been using some of that to pay down debt ever since JB took over. Like a couple of million a year. The rest goes on footy dept spending and general club expenditure. If we weren't using a couple of mill a year to pay down debt, we could throw that cash into increased footy dept spending or into some income producing assets (like pokies, or maybe something less morally bankrupt like selling arms to ISIS) or just stick it in the bank for a rainy day.

The thing that always struck me is how we're described as a "poor" club. "Poor" people don't bring in $22m a year.

Where we're "poor" is the off field spending arms race, especially the football department. If we have say $9m to spend on footy dept plus everything else (so we can pay $2m in debt reduction), and say Richmond is spending $15m on footy dept alone (because they bring in $50m plus a year due to their larger membership base), we can't keep up with that. All we can do is laugh at how badly they're pissing all that cash up against the wall cos no flags. Just cos you have more cash than you actually need to run a footy club doesn't mean to spend it wisely.

Okay but we're talking about bringing in Clarko. Unless we're planning to add him to the list, I don't think the salary cap is relevant...
We're not getting Clarko, so put that aside.

I'm talking funds for top end talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back