The war on religious freedom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this thread an example of the sectarianism Tony Blair believes is problematic for UK Labour, ie a glorified protest movement with cult trimmings ?
The cult is Hillsong, so not sure how you got to those unhappy with religious discrimination rights being a culty protest movement

Smoko’s people harass Christian churchgoers.

When will the MSM report on this??

Smoko’s people harass Christian churchgoers.

When will the MSM report on this??

still nothing in the MSM

I’ll just remind everyone how DV funding of $240k was cut because “budget”. But $110k for cameras in a cult that pays no tax a-ok.

isnt religion supposed to be spiritual? Here we have a government proponent theorising that a christmas ham is a religious staple requiring legal protection?

wtf?

reminds me of a coalition numpty who when aske what kind of questions might be in the citizenship test who then suggested ‘how old is australia’ which has no right or wrong answer

they are the kings of unworkable legistlation

isnt religion supposed to be spiritual? Here we have a government proponent theorising that a christmas ham is a religious staple requiring legal protection?

wtf?
For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took Coles Christmas ham, and when he had given thanks, he sliced it, and said, “This is my body which is [sliced] for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me” (1 Corinthians 11:23-25).

Morrison's aim is to turn Australia into a sectarian wonderland for born again arse holes with the slimy, "mainstream" religions in the background smirking and rubbing their hands with glee.

It doesn't matter whether one classes themselves as a conservative, a centrist or a left winger, Morrison and the Pentecostal/born-again supremacists are a danger to everyone's freedoms.

I have just emailed by local MP and all the senators of my state (VIC) who are on the LNP/ NAT side

Email as follows (use for yourselves or improve as needed)

I write to you to urge you to oppose this so called Religious Discrimination Bill. I recognise it will be difficult as it was brought in by your own political leadership but it appears deeply flawed and is open to abuse.

My interpretation of it is that it is a bill to let the Religious Discriminate against anyone they feel they want to but cry out when their behaviour and beliefs are challenged “it’s my religion, you can’t tell me what to do, waaah!!!”

I will be frank; I am not religious, and do not understand why religion needs to be treated as important. It is nothing more than a set of opinions shared by a group of people; similar to a group that support a particular football team, or brand of political belief, or sharing an attitude that marijuana should be sold freely (as examples). Just placing the word “god/ Allah/ flying spaghetti monster” doesn’t make these beliefs special.

Freedom of speech? Sure I’m all for it where people aren’t actively harmed by speech – and I would personally put a high threshold of “harm” caused by speech. So taking the Israel Folau case, I would not have interpreted what he said as actively harmful - I think some of the viewpoints about what he said are as unhelpful as the religious discrimination law – but the case about his dismissal from Rugby Australia should have hinged purely on whether it was a breach of a pre signed employment contract and whether it was a serious enough breach for termination.

I don’t see where a person’s religious belief should be allowed to override concerns such as their duty of medical care - in the examples where a person is seeking medical care such as contraception or abortion services, a doctor or pharmacist could cite religious freedom as a reason to not supply the care. I’d go further and say those who cite religious freedom should be censured by AHPRA as they are clearly putting their own religious belief ahead of what a patient may need/ require.

And while I believe that the driver for this bill comes from Scott Morrison’s branch of Pentecostalist belief he has omitted to consider other broader effects – potentially allowing hardline Muslims to have the freedom to establish and practice sharia law in Australia. Because “that’s religious freedom”.

And what happens with this bill (if for controversy sake) someone was to now set up a religion where “the prime article of faith is to denigrate, sabotage and expose all the medieval beliefs of the current prevailing religions via mockery and humiliation of those religions”. Would that new religion be protected in its activity as a genuine religious belief?

The religious discrimination act is stupid and unworkable, and is worth nothing more than toilet paper.

Yours Sincerely

<name and address supplied>
I had precisely zero responses to my email.

I think the kids have got this.

They will become more conservative as they grow older, but they will cherish the time when they stood up for other people.

She said: ‘Would it have been applied if a teacher were divorced and remarried? Or had children out of wedlock? ‘I’m sad about the message this sends to LGBTQ students: “We love and accept you but we can’t employ you”.’

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the kids have got this.

They will become more conservative as they grow older, but they will cherish the time when they stood up for other people.

She said: ‘Would it have been applied if a teacher were divorced and remarried? Or had children out of wedlock? ‘I’m sad about the message this sends to LGBTQ students: “We love and accept you but we can’t employ you”.’

Some might get more conservative - some wont

most of them will give as little of a s**t about people being gay as we do over divorce

it Will literally mean nothing in a coupla generations time - be like asking what footy team you support

Remove this Banner Ad

Back