The war on religious freedom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but you're a bigot so your opinion means s**t all.
As I’ve said before,I’m a bigot against bigotry.
I’m not racist,sexist,homophobic like religious people,but yeah m8 I’m a bigot!
You’re a monkey in a world full of apes!

Lyle Shelton's latest tweet.

"The rebellion is reborn today. The war is not over. And I will not be #TheLastJedi."

Lol. He sees himself as some kind of warrior against ssm and gay people are the dark side. He really is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

"The rebellion is reborn today. The war is not over. And I will not be #TheLastJedi."

Lol. He sees himself as some kind of warrior against ssm and gay people are the dark side. He really is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

You know who he is and I don’t.

Do you envy me.

You know who he is and I don’t.

Do you envy me.

Absolutely. He is the leader of the Australian Christian Lobby and the most vocal no supporter.

I wonder how the conservatives baying for their rights to discriminate would deal with this?
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...as-argued-for-limited-sharia-law-in-australia
Loved this quote from Dutton
“But cooler heads do need to prevail about an additional process to provide a protection of a person’s fundamental belief and practice of religious belief,” he reportedly said. “There’s no way I’ll be supporting a process that gives rise to a push for sharia law.
Christian freedoms, that's all they're fighting for, everyone else can get f***ed.

To be fair Sharia law is completely stuffed up, worse than anything Christians here have put on the table.

You need to read up on sharia law.

Many assume 'omg beheadings and stoning of adulterers' but it's actually quite complex and many Muslim countries have implemented it to various levels. The more extreme ones go down that route, but a lot of countries use sharia to help resolve commercial disputes, for example.

If our Western legal system can factor in Aboriginal tribal justice, then it can also factor in sharia law.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is strange a federal government or minister is looking at religion as the constitution is clear, the federal government does not have the power to make laws regarding religion

Many assume 'omg beheadings and stoning of adulterers' but it's actually quite complex and many Muslim countries have implemented it to various levels. The more extreme ones go down that route, but a lot of countries use sharia to help resolve commercial disputes, for example.

If our Western legal system can factor in Aboriginal tribal justice, then it can also factor in sharia law.
Pretty sure that customary law is banned from being considered in Australia.

Pretty sure that customary law is banned from being considered in Australia.

They aren't written into our laws explicitly, but they are certainly recognised for consideration particularly in sentencing, such as in WA and NT.

They aren't written into our laws explicitly, but they are certainly recognised for consideration particularly in sentencing, such as in WA and NT.
Unless it has changed in the last couple of years since I did Aboriginal law, it was banned from being used in sentencing in the NT (and pretty sure Australia wide) as a result of the intervention.

Unless it has changed in the last couple of years since I did Aboriginal law, it was banned from being used in sentencing in the NT (and pretty sure Australia wide) as a result of the intervention.

That may be the case, then, as my knowledge is from before a couple of years ago.

Either way, it proves that it can be compatible with Parliament-made law. It's not unusual either, plenty of countries in the world allow for alternative legal systems to co-exist. I don't disagree that in the event of a conflict Parliament-made law must prevail.

Odds on he is a closet gay.

No no no no no no and never no.

I think the left needs to tread a path here. There are plenty of mundane things about sharia. It's not all cutting off of hands, and is about divvying up assets in wills, marriage counselling, religious minutiae.

But like other religious doctrine, it is classist, gendered and harmful towards same sex attracted people.

Basically we have to say "Do it if you really want, just know that it's ****ed up and you shouldnt do it".

Should we also factor in Canon law that insists on precedence over secular law in regards the sanctity of the confessional but not confined to? I don't think so, too much slippery slope.

I think that the Catholic Church after thousands of abuse victims testimony with the gall to even question the recommendations of the Royal Commission shows they're not serious. They should have been wound up as a criminal organisation and all their assets seized.

I think the left needs to tread a path here. There are plenty of mundane things about sharia. It's not all cutting off of hands, and is about divvying up assets in wills, marriage counselling, religious minutiae.

But like other religious doctrine, it is classist, gendered and harmful towards same sex attracted people.

Basically we have to say "Do it if you really want, just know that it's ****** up and you shouldnt do it".

How can we stop the elders or the scholars from advising those who seek their guidance? The tame Sharia court I've seen is quaint and quite charming with a group of elders sitting about waiting to poke their noses into somebody else's business and feel important. On matters of the mundane domestic marriage etc as you've said, I can understand the comfort people could take from it.

All good until a fundy blows in.

Not to be encouraged agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back