The washup of the trade/draft period

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that Jarman didn't even nominate for the draft unlike Edwards and Sig (and Cheeney)

And not surprisingly no one picked up Grigg. She's a tough racket, this AFL.
grigg has a beer belly. If wanted drafted he should of lost it in July.

No mid should be carrying weight late in the season.

It’s a bit degrading to infer that our selections are next best when we’ve addressed a significant need very well, we would have to give up too much to nab the SA boys and we shaped our turn for next yr.
"weve addressed a significant need " - sanfl depth?

it looks like to me we've looked at the Richmond performance in the Gf and tried to copy. hard running smalls who can tackle.

State of Origin Snapshot (post-draft)

The breakdown below is only for senior lists (excludes rookies). Interestingly, after their SA-raid, GC has the same number of South Aussies on their list as us.

View attachment 588066
My eyes got fixed on WCE and Freo's. WA numbers.

I still don't understand how we managed to wrangle out Carlton's second round pick. That's a serious pick - potentially something like pick 20. And we got it for a four-pick downgrade in the 20s, and a 5th round selection?

Talk about a Black Friday sale!
I think clubs are actually quite scared of us and our bidding

I couldn’t help think that GWS was happy to give us that pick , get up the order and wink wink don’t bid on Briggs

Ah ok , thanks we won’t

it looks like to me we've looked at the Richmond performance in the Gf and tried to copy. hard running smalls who can tackle.
Thats possible.

Another interpretation is that the club likes ''like for like' replacements and see Jones and McHenry as replacements for Mackay and Atkins/Kelly (if they move on)

I am going to wait but I do recognise the Richmond argument.

Yep - Never thought Grigg would get picked up not helped by his amateur hour interviews about the draft post the GF
This is the reason he missed out

I heard a couple and he really didnt sound like somebody driven to succeed. And thats understandable from his non-football life. But from that time I never felt he was a chance with anybody

Thats possible.

Another interpretation is that the club likes ''like for like' replacements and see Jones and McHenry as replacements for Mackay and Atkins/Kelly (if they move on)

I am going to wait but I do recognise the Richmond argument.
Scholl and Hamill are more like for like with Atkins and Mackay

This is the reason he missed out

I heard a couple and he really didnt sound like somebody driven to succeed. And thats understandable from his non-football life. But from that time I never felt he was a chance with anybody
Big part of it

Firstly - couldn’t recognise why he got delisted ( massive red flag)
- couldn’t work out why he was playing career best footy at Norwood ‘just because I’m comfortable here ‘- fail
- was also clearly not AFL body shape despite his good form

I think deep down maybe even subconsciously he wasn’t that keen to get back into it and that’s fair enough given his old man’s MND

I don't know if we've tried to copy Richmond as such, but I think that performance definitely showed us that we have a serious lack of that kind of player.

Hopefully not anymore!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 8 list changes
Lost 1 significant player but add quite a few needs
McGovern McAdam
Cheney Butts
Sig Jones
Edwards McHenry
Gibson Hamill
Jarman Stengle
Hampton Scholl
Dear Strachan

I dont think its just after the Richmond model. WCE added Rioli and Ryan and it made a huge difference.
I think they just finally woke up especially without BCrouch we are way to slow, soft on the outside and up forward and have little depth in those areas.
Collingwood's midfield with Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar, Adams, De Goey, Stephenson, WHE, Beams, Sier
GWS who had Kelly, Cogs, Shiel, Ward, Scully, Griffin, Hopper, Taranto, Whitfield

Crouch, Crouch, Gibbs, Sloane, Douglas, Greenwood, Knight, Gallucci, is really light on especially considering the injuries

State of Origin Snapshot (post-draft)

The breakdown below is only for senior lists (excludes rookies). Interestingly, after their SA-raid, GC has the same number of South Aussies on their list as us.

View attachment 588066

Who is the Crows player from QLD?

There is a thread on the mainboard about QLD AFL listed players and they have the Crows with 0 players from QLD

Matchu there seems to be discrepancy between this list and your list (even taking acct this list excluding rookies)

Who is the Crows player from QLD?

There is a thread on the mainboard about QLD AFL listed players and they have the Crows with 0 players from QLD

Matchu there seems to be discrepancy between this list and your list (even taking acct this list excluding rookies)
Hunter came from redland.

"weve addressed a significant need " - sanfl depth?

Once again, have you seen any of these kids play ?? Jones is a quality young kid. Great athletic ability, can use the ball well on both sides and is a good mix of inside and out.

The 8 list changes
Lost 1 significant player but add quite a few needs
McGovern McAdam
Cheney Butts
Sig Jones
Edwards McHenry
Gibson Hamill
Jarman Stengle
Hampton Scholl
Dear Strachan

I dont think its just after the Richmond model. WCE added Rioli and Ryan and it made a huge difference.
I think they just finally woke up especially without BCrouch we are way to slow, soft on the outside and up forward and have little depth in those areas.
Collingwood's midfield with Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar, Adams, De Goey, Stephenson, WHE, Beams, Sier
GWS who had Kelly, Cogs, Shiel, Ward, Scully, Griffin, Hopper, Taranto, Whitfield

Crouch, Crouch, Gibbs, Sloane, Douglas, Greenwood, Knight, Gallucci, is really light on especially considering the injuries
Each pickup is a significantly better player from an AFL side POV, bar Cheney who's never fit and Gov who had a poor year aside from beating up on his new club.

The ill-informed are having dummy spots and will always. Theyd have found a way to complain about whoever we took

This AFL draft is becoming so complicated. The academies, F/s cat B, Pre season sup list. Does anyone actually know all the rules. Some of he Melbourne clubs have made a meal of it.
The crows need to start searching for players to import into their NG zones.
NM picked up a Tasmanian lad under a NGA rule. Same as Collingwood.
PA picked up 2 U18 state players from WWT just because they were born O/S and in their zone.

Hunter came from redland.

yeah but he didn't grow up in QLD, I don't think - Moved up there to play NEAFL

I play footy with his uncle and a heap of his family and I watched his first NAB game earlier this season at the pub - there was a whole lotta hollering when he gave away that 50m penalty haha

This AFL draft is becoming so complicated. The academies, F/s cat B, Pre season sup list. Does anyone actually know all the rules. Some of he Melbourne clubs have made a meal of it.
The crows need to start searching for players to import into their NG zones.
NM picked up a Tasmanian lad under a NGA rule. Same as Collingwood.
PA picked up 2 U18 state players from WWT just because they were born O/S and in their zone.
Weve done well with the Cat B list thus far but theres always improvements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back