The Waverly Park v Docklands Stadium thread

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
The sooner that Pies, Tiger and Hawk fans grasp this the sooner they can put their petty grievances with the world class stadium to one side...

Tigers have been at the MCG for over 50 years and we've been based right next door since 1885 so we have every right to call it home. The AFL can get f***ed for forcing us to play a home game at shitihad. There's nothing world class about that place. It's also on prime real estate next to the Hoddle grid so it's days are numbered. Anyone who thinks it will still be a stadium in 20 years is delusional. Hopefully once it's gone they'll build a world class stadium in a much better location.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Tigers have been at the MCG for over 50 years and we've been based right next door since 1885 so we have every right to call it home. The AFL can get f***ed for forcing us to play a home game at shitihad. There's nothing world class about that place. It's also on prime real estate next to the Hoddle grid so it's days are numbered. Anyone who thinks it will still be a stadium in 20 years is delusional. Hopefully once it's gone they'll build a world class stadium in a much better location.

The VFL forced everyone to play at least one game annually at Waverly for most of its history. Its the same at Etihad. calling people delusional when you have no idea what the future holds is real classy too.

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
The VFL forced everyone to play at least one game annually at Waverly for most of its history. Its the same at Etihad. calling people delusional when you have no idea what the future holds is real classy too.

At least Waverley was a better stadium and had a proper footy atmosphere. In regards to etihad it's pretty simple economics. The value of that land will be just too much for the AFL to resist selling. They might be indicating right now they want to keep it but we all know how fickle the AFL is.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Except that aside from the 1965-1972 period Richmond has always played home games at Waverley, Princes Park and Docklands forward of leaving your Punt Rd home ground...you better get used to it or I suggest you find a new past time

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
At least Waverley was a better stadium and had a proper footy atmosphere.

better stadium? It really wasnt. But some people have some severe rose tinting of waverly for some reason, and it seems to be those people that constantly believe that the wide bowl shape of Waverly in the rainbelt with no trasport and a mud pit for a car park and massive traffic jams is better than a centralised, modern, roofed Etihad with seating much much closer to the action and modern amenities, and easy public transport access.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At least Waverley was a better stadium and had a proper footy atmosphere. In regards to etihad it's pretty simple economics. The value of that land will be just too much for the AFL to resist selling. They might be indicating right now they want to keep it but we all know how fickle the AFL is.

Waverley was a better stadium than Docklands? Really do some of the posters believe the rubbish they write?

Foresight or not :drunk:

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Waverley was a better stadium than Docklands? Really do some of the posters believe the rubbish they write?

Foresight or not :drunk:
That's nostalgia at its finest.

Waverley, the idea, always did and always will reek of potential. But Waverley, the stadium, wasn't and was never going to be what it should have been.

Docklands will always be the secondary stadium to the MCG, but it is a damn fine stadium that, while not the preference, is the genuine alternative.

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
better stadium? It really wasnt. But some people have some severe rose tinting of waverly for some reason, and it seems to be those people that constantly believe that the wide bowl shape of Waverly in the rainbelt with no trasport and a mud pit for a car park and massive traffic jams is better than a centralised, modern, roofed Etihad with seating much much closer to the action and modern amenities, and easy public transport access.

Maybe a night at the theatre is more to your liking. Last time I checked footy was an outdoor sport. It sounds like you've never been to Waverley. All that stuff is just perpetuated myths with no real evidence to back it up.

Except that aside from the 1965-1972 period Richmond has always played home games at Waverley, Princes Park and Docklands forward of leaving your Punt Rd home ground...you better get used to it or I suggest you find a new past time

Just give me a decent stadium is all I'm saying. I never had a problem going to Waverley. Princes Park was bit hard to swallow especially being Carlton's home.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe a night at the theatre is more to your liking. Last time I checked footy was an outdoor sport. It sounds like you've never been to Waverley. All that stuff is just perpetuated myths with no real evidence to back it up.

It was called Arctic Park for a reason. And i spent far too many matches at Waverly, and far too many hours getting out of the car park.

Just give me a decent stadium is all I'm saying. I never had a problem going to Waverley. Princes Park was bit hard to swallow especially being Carlton's home.

They gave you one. You just dont like it. It happens.[/QUOTE]

At least Waverley was a better stadium and had a proper footy atmosphere.

It sounds like you've never been to Waverley. All that stuff is just perpetuated myths with no real evidence to back it up.

I can assure you that I spent many a day at Waverley (I had a VFL/AFL Membership back when it was really just a Waverley Park thing) and I can categorically state The_Wookie is correct.

It was terribly designed. You were that far away thanks to the sloping terraces at Waverley you felt like you were in a different postcode to the game. You couldn't see the last 10 metres of the wing on the other side because of the camber of the ground. The car park was atrocious to get out of at the best of times and was hell if it rained. Which it did, a lot. We lived 3 or 4 times further away from Victoria Park than Waverley yet it took longer to get home from Waverley.

Docklands is a far, far superior stadium.

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
I can assure you that I spent many a day at Waverley (I had a VFL/AFL Membership back when it was really just a Waverley Park thing) and I can categorically state The_Wookie is correct.

It was terribly designed. You were that far away thanks to the sloping terraces at Waverley you felt like you were in a different postcode to the game. You couldn't see the last 10 metres of the wing on the other side because of the camber of the ground. The car park was atrocious to get out of at the best of times and was hell if it rained. Which it did, a lot. We lived 3 or 4 times further away from Victoria Park than Waverley yet it took longer to get home from Waverley.

Docklands is a far, far superior stadium.

You can categorically state anything you want. Doesn't make it fact. Just your opinion.

I can categorically state that shitihad isn't Waverley's arsehole. You do realise you can't see the opposite wing there either when you sit on that atrocious bottom level? And they could have at least put a clear domed roof on it to let some sunshine in ffs. But that's part of the problem with the place - it was built on the cheap and nasty. It surprises me you have that view of Waverley as a Collingwood supporter. My uncle took me to many Pies games there in the 80s and early 90s and the atmosphere and noise was electrifying, almost scary. Collinwood fans always turned up there in huge numbers and absolutely had it rocking.

Etihad will never get close to this for atmosphere:

Give me a sun soaked, 77000 fishbowl atomsphere filled with colour and excitement any day over the drab, depressing atmosphere of shitihad.

Might I suggest you and Wookie spend a night at the ballet rather than the footy. I'm sure you'll love that atmosphere if you love Etihad so much ;)

You can categorically state anything you want. Doesn't make it fact. Just your opinion.

I can categorically state that shitihad isn't Waverley's arsehole. You do realise you can't see the opposite wing there either when you sit on that atrocious bottom level? And they could have at least put a clear domed roof on it to let some sunshine in ffs. But that's part of the problem with the place - it was built on the cheap and nasty. It surprises me you have that view of Waverley as a Collingwood supporter. My uncle took me to many Pies games there in the 80s and early 90s and the atmosphere and noise was electrifying, almost scary. Collinwood fans always turned up there in huge numbers and absolutely had it rocking.

Give me a sun soaked, 77000 fishbowl atomsphere filled with colour and excitement any day over the drab, depressing atmosphere of shitihad.

Might I suggest you and Wookie spend a night at the ballet rather than the footy. I'm sure you'll love that atmosphere if you love Etihad so much ;)

I have great memories of big crowds at Waverley too and nice sunny April afternoons with 35000 there

Also remember going to a Hawks v Bears night match in 1989 where it was so wet they got the super sopper bogged

Crowd was under 200 - was very easy to do a head count that night

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Your using a sunny day at the end of August between 2 sides that will never play against each other at Etihad as your example. Etihad would never out do that. But put 20000 into Waverley and there absolutely no atmosphere.

Prior to Etihad we played few home and away night games out there. What do you think the atmosphere would be like on a rainy Saturday night in June out in at Waverley? I know where I would prefer to be watching the game.

I used to like Waverley because it was one of the few games a year you didn't have to stand. Expectations are now you get a seat every week.

Your using a sunny day at the end of August between 2 sides that will never play against each other at Etihad as your example. Etihad would never out do that. But put 20000 into Waverley and there absolutely no atmosphere.

Prior to Etihad we played few home and away night games out there. What do you think the atmosphere would be like on a rainy Saturday night in June out in at Waverley? I know where I would prefer to be watching the game.

I used to like Waverley because it was one of the few games a year you didn't have to stand. Expectations are now you get a seat every week.

Standing room at Etihad is pretty good too

We are spoilt for stadiums in Melbourne

Even sitting in the front 5 rows on level 3 at Etihad is excellent in comparison to level 5 at Adelaide Oval or level Q at the MCG

When it comes to it people don't like Etihad because they don't want to pay for a reserved seat on the ground level, but the MCG has moved to that model too

You do realise you can't see the opposite wing there either when you sit on that atrocious bottom level? And they could have at least put a clear domed roof on it to let some sunshine in ffs. But that's part of the problem with the place - it was built on the cheap and nasty. It surprises me you have that view of Waverley as a Collingwood supporter. My uncle took me to many Pies games there in the 80s and early 90s and the atmosphere and noise was electrifying, almost scary. Collinwood fans always turned up there in huge numbers and absolutely had it rocking.

I was there and it was indeed a cracking atmosphere. But let's look at some facts about that game. It was in Round 23 between Collingwood and Carlton, where the outcome was vital for Carlton to make the finals and for Collingwood to go equal top. It was also the 4th highest H & A crowd ever to attend Waverley. There would have been a great atmosphere if it'd been played on Mars. That game is probably the equivalent of me pulling out the Geelong v St Kilda game in 2009 when they were both unbeaten in Round 14 and using that as a typical example of Docklands atmosphere.

When you get a stadium nearly full there's usually a great atmosphere. Ask those that were at Docklands yesterday, for instance.

That was another issue with Waverley. Great if large crowds showed up, but that rarely happened. Take Richmond for example, 80% of their games at Waverley were less than half full, and an astonishing 25% of their games attracted less than 20k people. We're lucky with the MCG that you can actually generate a great atmosphere at less than half capacity.

Imagine a stadium with as many flaws as Waverley in the era of social media.

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
When you get a stadium nearly full there's usually a great atmosphere. Ask those that were at Docklands yesterday, for instance.

The atmosphere didn't come across very good on TV. Tigers had 2 40k plus crowds there last year and the atmosphere was s**t.

What do you think the atmosphere would be like on a rainy Saturday night in June out in at Waverley? I know where I would prefer to be watching the game.

It was actually pretty good. I'd rather be sitting at the top of the AFL members undercover with the view of the Dandenongs in the background. See - It's easy to paint a scenario anyway you like isn't i? :thumbsu:

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The atmosphere didn't come across very good on TV. Tigers had 2 40k plus crowds there last year and the atmosphere was s**t.

It was actually pretty good. I'd rather be sitting at the top of the AFL members undercover with the view of the Dandenongs in the background. See - It's easy to paint a scenario anyway you like isn't i? :thumbsu:
If you had ever been up there you would know you weren't facing the Dandenongs, but the howling southerly,which the smaller stands around the other 3 quarters of the ground failed to block out. You were also a very, very long way from the action. Not really comparable to level 2 at Etihad. Each to there own, but I think you are looking back with nostalgia and forgetting what it was really like out there.

And now where getting to the real root of the problem. See how it's done ;)

Yep, that's a logical conclusion to a discussion that arose out of the excuses given for a piss poor crowd for Richmond.

I'll argue with anyone who tries to claim that Waverley was some kind of nirvana, I don't care who they support.

I bet if the internet and social media existed back in the Waverley era as it does now there'd be a constant whine from supporters wondering why they had to travel out to the sticks to see a game, and about the lack of transport, and the weather. The old 'grass is greener' garbage.

"We'll turn up to a game when you build a stadium nearer the city, one that you can get to by train, where you can actually see the field from the seats without the aid of binoculars, and when I'm not exposed to the constant wind and rain." - Richmond Big Footy member in 1989 explaining the 14k crowd against Carlton. 14k!

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
"We'll turn up to a game when you build a stadium nearer the city, one that you can get to by train, where you can actually see the field from the seats without the aid of binoculars, and when I'm not exposed to the constant wind and rain." - Richmond Big Footy member in 1989 explaining the 14k crowd against Carlton. 14k!

I was at that game it was transferred from the MCG which was being rested because the ground was unplayable from overuse and heavy weather. Good atmosphere at that game by the way even with the small crowd.

Back