Analysis The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin needs to spend the whole summer lifting weights or he'll never be a top backman. Needs to talk to Teddy Richards who identified that in himself and became an AA CHB in the process.
Great call, Teddy actually modelled the size and shape of the best full back at the time, Darren Glass.

Tommy needs to bulk up, he gives silly free kicks away because he is concerned about being outbodied.

Last edited:
We need to recruit a mature (23+) KP Defender. Rampe is near the end and if Tom McCartin were to go down we'd be stuffed.

Apart from that I think we already have what we need on our list.
I agree.

If you have faith (as I do) that Sheldrick and Roberts will emerge, coupled with Logan and Campbell developing, I reckon we have everywhere except the defensive 50 covered.

Melican might depart & although Gould could step-up, the cupboard is pretty bare in the KPD stakes post Rampe.

Ruck is dependent upon Ladhams - is he too prone to moronic brain explosions, or can he mature (quickly)?

can the coach win a flag?

Saturday was not a list problem its unfortunely more concerning than just recruiting another mid or a defender it wouldn't matter if we had Dunkley and Dawson out there.

80+ loss is a combination of other things straight out of Warner mouth we could of done a lot more.

Warner was the epitome of devastation knowing he left it all out there similar to JPK in 2016.

Why didnt the rest go?

Why are we not in for Dunkley? For mine he is the perfect replacement for JPK.

I know his dad and Swans went sour but surely time and a chat should help.

Why are we not in for Dunkley? For mine he is the perfect replacement for JPK.

I know his dad and Swans went sour but surely time and a chat should help.
Sister plays netball in Bne and his girlfriend is a bne girl, even though she plays netball in Adelaide.

I a
Sister plays netball in Bne and his girlfriend is a bne girl, even though she plays netball in Adelaide.
Assume he would have spent some time in Sydney too. Just think we are missing a trick here.

Hearing that all our rivals are bolstering there ranks with trades.

Hopper, Taranto - Richmond
Oli Henry, Bowes and Bruhn - Cats
Grundy - Dees
Mcstay, Mitchell - Pies

We seem to be well behind the 8 ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a thought, and I have no idea whether this would actually work, or whether its a ludicrous suggestion, but thought I'd put it out there.

What if next year, we start the season and ask the team to put in a ruthless 1st quarter. As in, not just play well, but bring finals-like intensity and pressure in the first quarter and aim to blow the game away in the first quarter.

Then, as the season progresses, we build up, and go to 2, 3 and then a 4 quarter effort where we're absolutely ruthless in attacking the ball and putting our opposition away.

Of course, it's probably not just a tap we can turn on and turn off, and trying to play like that could potentially burn us out if we were to do it too consistently over the course of a whole season. Even if we did it in spurts, perhaps we can train that lift in intensity into the team it's something we can get used to come finals and will have a reference point to compare it to when our opposition jumps us.

I have a thought, and I have no idea whether this would actually work, or whether its a ludicrous suggestion, but thought I'd put it out there.

What if next year, we start the season and ask the team to put in a ruthless 1st quarter. As in, not just play well, but bring finals-like intensity and pressure in the first quarter and aim to blow the game away in the first quarter.

Then, as the season progresses, we build up, and go to 2, 3 and then a 4 quarter effort where we're absolutely ruthless in attacking the ball and putting our opposition away.

Of course, it's probably not just a tap we can turn on and turn off, and trying to play like that could potentially burn us out if we were to do it too consistently over the course of a whole season. Even if we did it in spurts, perhaps we can train that lift in intensity into the team it's something we can get used to come finals and will have a reference point to compare it to when our opposition jumps us.
Opening game of the season when we play the Cat's at alphabet stadium, unfurling their premiership pennant, would be a great way to start. Think we will need a 4 quarter effort though! Hope we hit them real hard!

My ideas for a bigger body for the midfield:
1 Train Gould up specially in the off season. Opponents will bounce off him. He could be Clayton Oliver Mk2, you never know.
2. Or throw Rampe in there and put Gould in the backline in his place. Reckon Gould is ready.

My ideas for a bigger body for the midfield:
1 Train Gould up specially in the off season. Opponents will bounce off him. He could be Clayton Oliver Mk2, you never know.
2. Or throw Rampe in there and put Gould in the backline in his place. Reckon Gould is ready.

I reckon Goulds lack of agility would expose him in midfield.

We didn't seem to need a big-bodied mid when we beat Melbourne's midfield (Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Harmes) or Collingwood's midfield (De Goey, Pendlebury, Crisp, Sidebottom.)

But I think it is interesting that many have such faith in Beatson and Dalrymple (particularly the latter) when it comes to delivering quality mids but that faith doesn't seem to carry over into what we're building. They have drafted nothing but shorter mids - Stephens, Warner, Campbell, Gulden, Sheldrick, Roberts.

Maybe it's naive of me but I trust that our recruiters pick players not necessarily on pure ability or performance, but how they can play a role and fit into the team for us. So I do believe they have a vision for how all these shorter mids can form a quality midfield group, and I'm willing to back that vision in for now (not that my opinion counts for s**t.)

In their defence, I'm not even sure what defines a "big-bodied mid". Is it height? Because the average height of Geelong's main midfield quartet is 184.8cm vs ours at 184.3cm. Geelong's tallest mid is Dangerfield at 189cm, ours is Mills at 187cm. Both have two mids each over 185cm.

Is it size in terms of strength? Because if so, that's a no-brainer, and hardly a shock. Geelong's midfield quartet has an average age of 30.8 vs ours at 24.3. So clearly they don't have the developing bodies that we have.

In any case I don't think our midfield has a size issue. I think it has a balance issue. Our two biggest-bodied and mature mids (Parker & Mills) possess no dynamism or explosiveness that others of their size and shape - Dangerfield, Petracca, Oliver etc. - have. (Not knocking either of them btw, just acknowledging the attributes they do and don't have.)

Meanwhile our two mids who look most capable of bursting either into or out of contests with a bit of acceleration to get themselves in the clear (Rowbottom & Warner) are the most susceptible to having their games shut down because they're developing, inexperienced, inconsistent and relatively undersized.

So our two mids most physically primed to dominate in the midfield aren't really the two we most need to dominate in the midfield in order to be a force at centre bounces. That's just an unfortunate age thing that I think will come in time once the two younger mids are ready to really take over the midfield. But I think it's why patience is required - you don't see many 21/22 year old full-time mids winning premiership medals.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Jesus buddy is top 10 in the whole league for his position. Beaten by may but used his experience to get the team going. Seems silly to criticise his grand final performance, we got cleaned up in the middle and he barely saw it.

Within the media everyone is trying to retire him so th can be the first to herald the end of the champion but you'd expect better from his supporters.

The whole McDonald can be the man next year stuff is ridiculous. I think McDonald has every chance of being the best key forward in the competition in 10 years and where he is at right now is tracking very nicely. Plenty of young talls aren't playing as many games as him in thier 4th season let alone thier second. But gambling our season on him being one of the very very rare key forwards that score 50 goals in just thier third season is a risk we don't have to take, because we still have buddy as a declining but still good for 50ish goals a year key forward!
Take a bow Sir. Fact from start to finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back