Analysis The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The discussion is headed this way so I thought I’d open the batting.

1. Ruck. As an old midfielder, this is just so important. Presuming there’s no secret Grundy play we need to extend Naismith. He’s easily the best tap ruckman on our list and the fact that we’re in the mix says it’s a risk worth taking. Ladhams is No.3 and should earn it. I’m filthy on him right now.

2. Forwards. McDonald out of the square. Reid/Amartey the foils. Buddy nowhere near the forward 30m. He can rotate with Hayward and Heeney on the flanks.

3. Backs. The brothers should improve again next year. Tom is a kid and Paddy may as well be. The Cleaner as backup. I think Lloyd is going so Campbell, Blakey, and Florent to be the attacking force. Rampe and Fox to do what they do.

4. Mids. I think we’re short one. A brute. That was Kennedy. We have Parker. We need one more. That one touch player who can stand in a tackle. A grand final tackle. That’s the missing link.

5. Soldiers. We’re good for soldiers. Clarke, Bell, Wicks, Cunningham plus the junior burgers is a good mix.

Conclusion. We need another big bodied brutal midfielder. And now.

Tom McCartin needs to spend the whole summer lifting weights or he'll never be a top backman. Needs to talk to Teddy Richards who identified that in himself and became an AA CHB in the process.

If Naismith is the answer to our ruck then let's just all give up and go home.

He has played about 30 games in 10 years, is 30, has done 2 ACLs and a multitude of other injuries and is about as athletic as an oldie with a Zimmer frame. His stats are actually worse than Sinclair's and other then his tap work (was it really that good or was it more he had JPK, Hanners and Jack in their primes around him), offers zero around the park. Blicavs and Stanley would've smashed his arse around the park yesterday and Hawkins would've snapped him in 2.

Personally I would not offer him a contract, be that AFL or VFL. But if there are still some within the club holding a flame for him, give him a VFL gig, see how he goes for the first half of 2023 and if he's presenting the ball on a silver platter for the VFL mids, then sign him in the mid-season draft. And at that point, I'll happily eat a big serving of humble pie.

Naismith has played 2 games in 5 years,

and 30 in 9 years

sorry thats enough risk, I would want to be bloody sure he can hold up before giving him another cent, also given its basically half a decade since he played the idea he is some magical tap ruckman seems miles off, He has played some ok footy years ago, but we really havent seen anything to suggest he is capable of it, especially body wise. with him and Sinclair basically gone we do need some ruck depth though.

Buddy cant play out of the goal square/deep forward unless he clunks some marks, seems unlikely, I think let him roam, and just manage him, no good him being ****ed physically in September.

Heeney isnt a midfielder bar a pinch hit, just build forwards around him and use his skills.

Hayward papley mcdonald franklin with him,

Mclean Armatey who knows

Gould has to develop, we need someone like him, still a spot for melican if he can actually take it.

Need the strength in the middle I agree

Mostly I do believe in yesterdays team as a rule though, just lacking tall reliable depth

Naismith is a dud let’s be honest

His tapwork reputation is based on some clearance numbers half a decade ago, hes probably made 1.5 million plus for 30 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to recruit a mature (23+) KP Defender. Rampe is near the end and if Tom McCartin were to go down we'd be stuffed.

Apart from that I think we already have what we need on our list.

The discussion is headed this way so I thought I’d open the batting.

1. Ruck. As an old midfielder, this is just so important. Presuming there’s no secret Grundy play we need to extend Naismith. He’s easily the best tap ruckman on our list and the fact that we’re in the mix says it’s a risk worth taking. Ladhams is No.3 and should earn it. I’m filthy on him right now.

2. Forwards. McDonald out of the square. Reid/Amartey the foils. Buddy nowhere near the forward 30m. He can rotate with Hayward and Heeney on the flanks.

3. Backs. The brothers should improve again next year. Tom is a kid and Paddy may as well be. The Cleaner as backup. I think Lloyd is going so Campbell, Blakey, and Florent to be the attacking force. Rampe and Fox to do what they do.

4. Mids. I think we’re short one. A brute. That was Kennedy. We have Parker. We need one more. That one touch player who can stand in a tackle. A grand final tackle. That’s the missing link.

5. Soldiers. We’re good for soldiers. Clarke, Bell, Wicks, Cunningham plus the junior burgers is a good mix.

Conclusion. We need another big bodied brutal midfielder. And now.

You lost me at no 1.

Buddy is a real conundrum

He had a horrible finals series. Game against pies was grossly overrated

he did a job v pies though,

v dees and cats he may as well have sat in the grandstand

Now yep forward delivery was complete s**t, and not sure what instructions he has , but only like one time early in the second did it seem he got up the ground to get involved . Maybe he can't do that at all anymore

sometimes he moves well , other times he looks like he can't get the ball below his knees

his hands seem to be made of concrete

he did a job v pies though,

v dees and cats he may as well have sat in the grandstand

Now yep forward delivery was complete s**t, and not sure what instructions he has , but only like one time early in the second did it seem he got up the ground to get involved . Maybe he can't do that at all anymore

sometimes he moves well , other times he looks like he can't get the ball below his knees

his hands seem to be made of concrete
My worry with Buddy is not that he won't be able to have moments of good footy in him in Season 2023, but rather the anonymous games where he has zero impact will continue to increase - I can't see how he will be any better should we make it in finals in 2023 then he was in 2022.

It sounds terrible to say it about an icon of the game, but there is a real risk he will be whatever the game day team equivalent of a 'list clogger' more often than not. That wouldn't worry me if one could be confident we would choose the 22 on form, which would see him not in the team if he can no longer perform. But how can you possibly see that happening with Bud - he will be picked if fit.

It may well have put us back a few steps next year, but I think for our long term future it would of been better to shake hands with Bud and say thanks for your incredible service, and either seek out someone on the open market (Even with Maclean/McDonald/Amartey - imo we are at least one good young forward short) or commit to pumping the games into the young players and seeing who of Maclean/Amartey will be the initial partner for McDonald.

I hope Bud proves me very wrong, but it feels like one too many farewell tours to me.

Last edited:
So your first idea is to sign a ruck who is best known for injuring himself! I'd have rather just resigned Sinkers! Neither should be near a list next season.

Agree on the mid, it's why I feel we have to explore the Martin thing, yes it will cost but he might be the difference between making the GF and winning it.

Buddy out of the forward line, onto a wing/HF. Logan into FF from round 1 next season.

Buddy cant play out of the goal square/deep forward unless he clunks some marks, seems unlikely, I think let him roam, and just manage him, no good him being *ed physically in September.
I'd manage Franklin similar to what they did with Dangerfield this year. Give him an extended break during the middle of the year so he's fresh come finals.
I'd also split his time between the wing, half forward and full forward.
Commiserations on the loss, hope you bounce back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back