The way Richmond revolutionised footy ...

Nicho50

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Collingwood and West Coast were just as strong as Geelong in that stretch.

I wouldn’t say it was a weak comp I just think the top 2-3 teams were that much further ahead than the rest and as a result naturally the teams dropped off a touch and the rest of comp has got to a closer level.

2017 came about due to personal and we changed how we played to suit what cattle we had rather than trying to play a style we couldn’t achieve with what we had.

Mar 3, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeh but Adelaide did what in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 or 2022?

What is going nuclear and ripping the soul of the club and destroying the fabric of what was built, close the window years before it should've and then trying to deny any of it happened and then five years later acknowledge it happened but want everyone to move on yesterday?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Fadge PJays PhatBoy will be fuming you posted this. Seething. 🤣🤣🤣

I think there was more to the unique(at the time) style that Richmond employed than simply tapping the ball on. But the team did aim to get the ball going forward any way they could, and then surge. A big part of it was we had some very quick tall defenders in Grimes and Rance who could be left without extras troops to cover them so long as the ball was put under pressure, so we could surge extra troops into our forward zone.

I used to liken our forward 50 to being like invading Afghanistan for the opposition….you could enter the area with as many troops as you wanted no trouble…..but good luck getting out. Which of course was the reason the stand rule in particular was introduced, because teams struggled to advance the ball against us.

To be fair I found the Hawks precision kicking game good to watch, because they mostly moved the ball quickly, and when the advanced the ball they moved it very quickly. I don’t really think you can be a top class team without having a consistent reliable way to advance the ball rapidly.

I loved watching Collingwood play against Melbourne Friday night. Obviously they tackled brilliantly, but they applied ferocious pressure and in the second half the Demons couldn’t break them down. I just think when push comes to shove, it is preferable to watch a team applying huge pressure to their opponent and going forward at all costs with the ball to watching a team try to own the football at all costs. Teams who apply great pressure and try to get the ball forward have always tended to do well in finals, since I have ever watched footy(early 70’s,) and I suspect long before that, although there have been some teams succeed with fussier playing styles.

Why would I be seething? You don’t even know what you’re arguing about.

I agree with the OP.

Just because I think three quarters of your supporter base went swimming in nail polish during their developmental years doesn’t mean I think Richmond are/were a terrible team or something.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
As proud I am of my Cats' era, and the way it returned the game to being attacking and fun after the turgid Swans/Eagles rivalry, I am in awe of how Richmond has changed the game.

I am referring to that manic style of keeping the ball alive by tapping it on. At the time, quite irrationally, I hated it. It struck me as lairising.

Now, of course, everybody does it.

Questions: how do you think it came about? when did you notice it?
Dips my hat to you.
I dared you too put your post on the MB and you did.
Well done.:thumbsu:

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I will say this - I don’t think the ‘tap on’ idea is a Richmond thing but I do think they adopted the ‘get the ball forward however you have to do it’ approach as an actual embedded part of their game plan which no one else had done.

I remember watching On The Couch years ago and they highlighted a passage of play - it may have been Hawthorn but really I have no recollection who it was - where the ball went from a centre bounce to about 25m out from a team’s attacking goal without a single disposal and they highlighted how that was demonstrative of their pressure and intent and numbers swarming around the ball.

What Richmond did isn’t something no one had seen before but making it a legitimate part of their week in week our approach was certainly different

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
The 2017-2020 period of footy was fairly weak. The interstate teams were expected to dominate, particularly GWS. But it didn't quite work out like that. The Western Bulldogs were also predicted to go onto bigger and better things having been spoken about in the same breath as Hawthorn 2008 . . . winning a flag sooner than expected.

Really, Richmond's only concern during that period of time was Geelong. Possibly Collingwood who were up and down like a yo-yo for four years.
Geelong have since become synonymous with underachieving in September.

This is why Melbourne have a golden opportunity to cash in. They are up against pretty flaky teams these last two seasons. Get their forward line corrected, and they should have no worries heading to another grand final.

Yeah unlike 07-11. Port 07 and Dew 08 were super tough opponents. Not to mention the comp was so weak the top 4 teams nearly get 20 wins.

Because of equalisation and an 18 team comp, the comp as been tougher than its ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I will say this - I don’t think the ‘tap on’ idea is a Richmond thing but I do think they adopted the ‘get the ball forward however you have to do it’ approach as an actual embedded part of their game plan which no one else had done.

I remember watching On The Couch years ago and they highlighted a passage of play - it may have been Hawthorn but really I have no recollection who it was - where the ball went from a centre bounce to about 25m out from a team’s attacking goal without a single disposal and they highlighted how that was demonstrative of their pressure and intent and numbers swarming around the ball.

What Richmond did isn’t something no one had seen before but making it a legitimate part of their week in week our approach was certainly different
I remember Happy Gilmore revolutionizing it 25 years ago

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah, the poster is right.

Still a very weak era.

How else do you explain a team finishing 17th one year, and following up the next year with a (minimum) 11 game winning streak and likely top 4 position.

In relative terms, Cats 2007 to 2011 so much stronger than the current version, and similarly the Pies 2010/11 much better than today's team. And these teams could be your 2022 Grand Finalists.

If you take away tactics team systems which hawks invented then Richmond improved then yes. But that that point you are just arguing talent on paper.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah unlike 07-11. Port 07 and Dew 08 were super tough opponents. Not to mention the comp was so weak the top 4 teams nearly get 20 wins.

Because of equalisation and an 18 team comp, the comp as been tougher than its ever been.

Even when you write something that has some minor merit you can’t help but make a fool of yourself.

Why are you so obsessed with Stuart Dew? Did he eat your recess during a school visit earlier this year or something?

You think because he - a premiership player before 2008 - played a good patch of footy that he was somehow the only thing Hawthorn had going for them that day….. aside from the best forward of the millenium, another elite key forward, a Brownlow medalist, a two time norm smith medalist and all Australian captain and a whole bunch of other AA players. They played legitimately GOOD football. Yeah sure as hell we played below our general standard it doesn’t mean they didn’t have a good side who all contributed

Educate yourself. You say you love the game and love discussing it.

Then actually learn about it instead of being the BigFooty equivalent of a graffiti’d wall that says ‘Falkon wuz ‘ere’

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

We just modified the hawthorn model to suit our players. The hawks system had to rely on good players to execute it as they used precise kicking. Since we didn’t have the overall list talent that hawthorn had we had to improvise and make it easier for the average AFL player to pick up which imo makes our system better imo.

So we dialled up pressure to 11, greater emphasise one 1% ers and taking territory, pretty much deliberately losing clearances to start our attacks from defence off turnover then score via handball chains through a little strip in between the wing and corridor, if this doesn’t result in a goal we lock it in the forward 50 and try again. We also made a ‘Dusty’ role which teams are trying to input now. A mid/fwd role that deliberately tries to confuse the defensive matchups mid game. If the defenders aren’t switched on it will cost them goals.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah, the poster is right.

Still a very weak era.

How else do you explain a team finishing 17th one year, and following up the next year with a (minimum) 11 game winning streak and likely top 4 position.

In relative terms, Cats 2007 to 2011 so much stronger than the current version, and similarly the Pies 2010/11 much better than today's team. And these teams could be your 2022 Grand Finalists.

That is easy to explain. FIGJAM was coach last year and Craig McRichmond is coach this year.

But in any event, your criteria clearly means your “super” era was putridly weak. How else do you explain West Coast Eagles winning the wooden spoon one year with 4 wins and 77%, then finishing 17-5 the next year and 130% without even needing to sack FIGJAM as coach?

2010 Eagles 4 wins 77% wooden spoon

2011 Eagles 17 wins 130%

2021 BuckPies 6 wins 86%

2022 Clutchpies 15 wins 106% with 2 to play in the stretch, whatever a stretch is.

But, but, but super era. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Even when you write something that has some minor merit you can’t help but make a fool of yourself.

Why are you so obsessed with Stuart Dew? Did he eat your recess during a school visit earlier this year or something?

You think because he - a premiership player before 2008 - played a good patch of footy that he was somehow the only thing Hawthorn had going for them that day….. aside from the best forward of the millenium, another elite key forward, a Brownlow medalist, a two time norm smith medalist and all Australian captain and a whole bunch of other AA players. They played legitimately GOOD football. Yeah sure as hell we played below our general standard it doesn’t mean they didn’t have a good side who all contributed

Educate yourself. You say you love the game and love discussing it.

Then actually learn about it instead of being the BigFooty equivalent of a graffiti’d wall that says ‘Falkon wuz ‘ere’

Your mate starting bagging us in this thread. That’s why. We aren’t comparing who the best is here. Enough with the weak comp s**t which has been debunked.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
We just modified the hawthorn model to suit our players. The hawks system had to rely on good players to execute it as they used precise kicking. Since we didn’t have the overall list talent that hawthorn had we had to improvise and make it easier for the average AFL player to pick up which imo makes our system better imo.

So we dialled up pressure to 11, greater emphasise one 1% ers and taking territory, pretty much deliberately losing clearances to start our attacks from defence off turnover then score via handball chains through a little strip in between the wing and corridor, if this doesn’t result in a goal we lock it in the forward 50 and try again. We also made a ‘Dusty’ role which teams are trying to input now. A mid/fwd role that deliberately tries to confuse the defensive matchups mid game. If the defenders aren’t switched on it will cost them goals.

Well wonders will never cease that entire post is very accurate. There had been other players in a Martin type role before just few if any as reliable and good at it, though.

Back