Banter The WCE Cricket Banter Thread (Ball tampering permitted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Amla retires hurt with a knock to the head. First look it didn’t seem too much, as in it looked like the helmet copped the brunt of it, but I suppose when a ball comes at you at the speed Archer can bowl it’s dangerous.

Will there be a concussion sub in cricket by the time the next WC comes around? I personally think there will.

Frankly with his strike-rate, they're better off with Amla away from the crease.
ODI’s have really turned into a game of keeping wickets in hand until the last 10-15 where the T20 skills kick in. Teams are quite comfortable going at 4-5 an over for 35 overs or so because they know they can catch up at the end.

Amla would be the perfect opener for that- doesn’t give up his wicket cheaply and should be able to turn the strike over to De Kock who is aggressive. Conversely, if SA lose a couple cheaply he’s pretty good at stabilising or guiding a younger side through a chase through his experience. I think he offers a lot to SA this WC. Hope he’s ok.

ODI’s have really turned into a game of keeping wickets in hand until the last 10-15 where the T20 skills kick in. Teams are quite comfortable going at 4-5 an over for 35 overs or so because they know they can catch up at the end.

Amla would be the perfect opener for that- doesn’t give up his wicket cheaply and should be able to turn the strike over to De Kock who is aggressive. Conversely, if SA lose a couple cheaply he’s pretty good at stabilising or guiding a younger side through a chase through his experience. I think he offers a lot to SA this WC. Hope he’s ok.

I think that, barring de Kock (who just got out, so much for getting above 50% in Forecaster), the Saffers lack the power to play that game. Amla hasn't played much in the way of ODIs lately, but his record in the series he has played suggests he's at the stage in his career where he's still skilled enough to beat up on minnows (Bangladesh, Sri Lanka - sorry Vishy) but struggles against a more competitive side. They have got a very inexperienced batting side though with Markram and van der Dussen both in there, so his leadership probably helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

England sometimes just put the pedal to the floor from ball 1. They have power hitters all the way down. This is what can happen if the momentum can't be arrested...

Amla retires hurt with a knock to the head. First look it didn’t seem too much, as in it looked like the helmet copped the brunt of it, but I suppose when a ball comes at you at the speed Archer can bowl it’s dangerous.

Will there be a concussion sub in cricket by the time the next WC comes around? I personally think there will.
Chris Rogers felt the effects of a ball to the head for months. I've heard him describe his symptoms - wasn't far off what Paddy McCartin's going through now. With all that's happened in AFL, it seems odd to me now that Amla (and others) can resume their innings so quickly.

Kinda going for the Kiwis tbh. Just seem like a more fun bunch of dudes to hang around with than the Australians. Maybe it's just that I can't stand the constant moralising tripe that comes out of Langer's mouth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back