Banter The WCE Cricket Banter Thread (Ball tampering permitted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
First instinct for me was that it was missing as well but yes clearly LBW. England had two reviews left I don't know why if just didn't give it out and let them take a review anyway, at least the correct decsion would have come in one fashion.
It used to be that your 2 reviews were reset when you got the new ball (80 overs) . 124 overs is too long for just 2 especially with the horrible standard of umpiring joel wilson displays

Well done stokes amazing innings

We lost it with lyon missing the runout .

Just on the LBW, lyon had been bowling that middle stump pitching and straightening line to stokes all day . If stokes missed then it was gone . He finally missed one and the joel wilson just refused to make the call. Was plumb as plumb could be.
Just another * up to wilson to add to his 15 others ( not even exagerating) this series . He needs to never umpire again .

When you make aleem dar look like a great umpire you know your s**t .

* off joel wilson

Into The Black

All Australian
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
A lot of mistakes by us and fair play to the poms, but when such an incredible match is won or lost on a technicality ? Would leave a bad taste in my mouth win or lose.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Just on the LBW, lyon had been bowling that middle stump pitching and straightening line to stokes all day . If stokes missed then it was gone . He finally missed one and the joel wilson just refused to make the call. Was plumb as plumb could be.

Exactly! Was gutsy bowling by Lyon who had seen many such balls put into orbit. For him to risk putting that right back into the hitting zone only for old mate Wilson to not call the LBW is unbelievable! Most plumb LBW off a spinner you will ever see. I honestly don't know how anyone could look at that and not think its hitting something.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
A lot of mistakes by us and fair play to the poms, but when such an incredible match is won or lost on a technicality ? Would leave a bad taste in my mouth win or lose.
Was always going to happen. Dont think there’s been one England Ashes series where there hasn’t been this sort of rubbish happening. They always seem to arse their way into winning. The World Cup and now this.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Time doesn't stand still for a review. The sequence of events would be totally different if the review hadn't been used, it's highly unlikely exactly the same ball would've been bowled and Stokes played exactly the same shot if the 30 seconds taken for the review hadn't happened.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Time doesn't stand still for a review. The sequence of events would be totally different if the review hadn't been used, it's highly unlikely exactly the same ball would've been bowled and Stokes played exactly the same shot if the 30 seconds taken for the review hadn't happened.
So what you’re saying is.. Joel Wilson should never umpire a game of cricket again :p

Even if he gives it, England have the chance to review, right decision would have been made. But we get stranded because the umpire has no idea how to do his job. Players choking, gutless umpire, and England arse their way to another win.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
So what you’re saying is.. Joel Wilson should never umpire a game of cricket again :p

Even if he gives it, England have the chance to review, right decision would have been made. But we get stranded because the umpire has no idea how to do his job. Players choking, gutless umpire, and England arse their way to another win.
Yeah, it's s**t whichever way you try to slice it, I don't know why it is up to players to try and decide who's out.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yeah, it's s**t whichever way you try to slice it, I don't know why it is up to players to try and decide who's out.
Yeah I think we’re now at a point where we either have to go full technology or not at all. This half arse system has too many problems and the quality of umpiring has decreased as a result of DRS. The umpires are now just guessing and hoping the players know what’s going on. Either need to have a VAR type thing or trust the umpires call (which will be disastrous for the first little bit as they try to decrease their reliance on DRS but in the long run probably for the best).

Jun 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Friends, Family, Flags
It used to be that your 2 reviews were reset when you got the new ball (80 overs) . 124 overs is too long for just 2 especially with the horrible standard of umpiring joel wilson displays

Just another fu** up to wilson to add to his 15 others ( not even exagerating) this series . He needs to never umpire again .

fu** off joel wilson
Taking nothing away from Stokes innings (easily one of the best I've seen), the bold parts mirror my thoughts exactly. Lyon had bowled 2 or 3 balls an over there all day and Stokes finally missed one. Plumb as it gets on first look and even moreso when you see the hawkeye replay. Unbelievable that Wilson could give it not out - needs to borrow Leach's glasses. Should be quietly axed from the series and the ICC panel based on his putrid performance in the series so far.

Its staggering that, even with reviews being bought into the game, a rookie level poor umpiring decision can still contribute to costing a team a Test and possibly a series.

A runout the ball before would have been handy though...

wolmeister

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Just another fu** up to wilson to add to his 15 others ( not even exagerating) this series . He needs to never umpire again .

fu** off joel wilson

I actually think Wilson knew it was out but he was shitting himself to give it for whatever reason. It's not like was a tough decision, this was an easy one. Incompetent, bit like the Aussies bowling, fielding and captaincy. Paine started shitting his pants with 40 runs to get and it showed. That Cummin's review was pure panic.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I actually think Wilson knew it was out but he was s**tting himself to give it for whatever reason. It's not like was a tough decision, this was an easy one. Incompetent, bit like the Aussies bowling, fielding and captaincy. Paine started s**tting his pants with 40 runs to get and it showed. That Cummin's review was pure panic.
He really only had one option when you look at all the factors. We had no reviews left and that’s on us, but the game shouldn’t be a game of who can use their reviews the most efficiently. His only option, even if he thought it was marginal (which you could only assume if he’s legally blind), is to give that out. Let England send it upstairs if he’s not 100% on it. You can’t just be guessing and leave it with “you had no reviews, tough bikkies”. This type of s**t never seems to go in our favour. Can only imagine Roots press conference if the tables were turned.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Scrap reviews entirely. The third umpire should be able to overturn howlers like that.
All the review has done imo has made the umpires second guess themselves because they might be proven wrong in review. I think this just lowers the overall quality of the decisions being made. I mean look at goal umpires, they never back themselves they are always calling for a review even when its obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back