Banter The WCE Cricket Banter Thread (Ball tampering permitted)

Remove this Banner Ad

No not every one but I think the umpires should be able to send one up if they want to make sure. Currently they cant do this. I think give the teams 1 or 2 each as they have but allow the ump to refer to the 3rd umpire on close ones as they do with a catch or a run out.
We all know there are teams that appeal anything- some of that is part of distracting the batter. The umps wouldn't refer ones they know to be frivolous but if there is one they think, geez it was close, I wouldnt mind having a look then that should be available. And to speed the game up, do the HE first to see if it pitched in line or was predicted to hit.
If we did that we would have a lot more correct decisions with minimal impact on flow of the game.

Also, we dont get the goal umpires reviewing every goal- thats a falacy. Id say on average there would be maybe 4 a game? The umpires make there call but sometimes need to check if someone went close to touching it. Often their calls are justified in that it was very close one way or the other. the big issue with the GLRS is that the tech is s**t and they often have trouble telling if it was touched or not. lots of 1000 fps cameras at every ground are needed for it to work well but it is better than nothing.
Completely agree with this and of course it can't be on every appeal as certain teams squeal at anything that hits (or even misses) the pad. But at the moment we are having games (and sometimes it is in our favour and sometimes against) not just being decided on a dodgy umpire call (which has always been the case) but on an ability to get the DRS correct when it is often guesswork given only the umpire is in the correct position to know where it pitched and hit. Bowlers are off balance, a keeper's view is often obstructed and slips are not in line. That said, the idiocy of some DRS reviews/non-reviews by the players exacerbate the problem but the game shouldn't be decided on an ability to utilise the DRS system. The system should be there to correct the obvious mistakes, regardless.

Thursday was the only day I could get off work, so I bit the bullet and I'm off to Manchester. Will be wearing my eagles scarf in the crowd if it's a classic English summer day and will have my watchafl subscription at the ready if there's any eagles fans about. Haven't been to Test cricket since 2011, can't wait. Give it to 'em Smithy!

I stand by my opinion that if we were going to drop an opener I'd prefer it was Warner rather than Bancroft. Piss him off now, he was the architect of sandpapergate and should've been let go.

Wonder what the poorest opening pair in a five match series is? Ours are averaging 11.5 so far in 14 innings...

It's pretty terrible, but really apart from Burns all the openers have failed.

Khawaja has been his usual inconsistent self, but I would have liked to see him open before he was dropped. It's not like we have anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least an out of form Bangers found a way to survive for 70 balls

Ding, ding, ding winner!

Harris and Warner is a shocking opening pair.

Langer may as well tell Davey to just come out slogging second dig. He literally cannot do any worse.

#bringbackcowan

Well, we certainly didn't need 6 pacers. Probably Neser. Or do you mean from the starting XI?
I meant squad and you have a fair point regarding 6 pacemen. But it is the bowlers who ultimately decide the match so I can understand the selectors trying to have the right bowler for the conditions. Hence why Siddle was picked. I think they saw Neser as a all rounder .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back