Autopsy The we’re on the right path

Remove this Banner Ad

The forward line for most of the day was Lynch, Smith, Gowers, Shache, Greene and Roughead the other two areas of the ground are coming along nicely but some more experience and some pure talent in the forward line will make a massive difference.

Hunter’s spent a lot more time on the wing towards the end of this season and has shown his value. He came third in the b&f two years ago playing there and it seems like a strange move for him to spend so much time away from that role.

Macrae would be very close to the best player in the comp right he’s so clean inside and works so hard on the outside to create an option along with Hunter he’s gone well and truly gone beyond Bont as a player. I still think Bonts only shown about 70% of what he’s truly capable of.

This group will be better than the 2016 side, what the side did two years ago is irrelevant now. It will be a very different style of game going forward, there’s now genuine speed and size which the team lacked two years ago.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
IS TOM BOYD INJURED????

I don't post in here of my thoughts very often but now the season has ended ill write my thought.
I was shocked when i seen people talking about CD being traded for some third round pick, he has so much footy smarts and football nous.
People saying what if Dunkley played mid all year, he was always going to be a very good mid, just needed to work on other things of his game.
If people on here seen what Crozier was like when he played back for the Dockers they would know what he would be like doing it back in Melbourne.
People potting Lynch saying he is depth only and needed to go back and have a VFL spell was way off, his fend off for a 9 game player and speeds and kick on him are going to make him a very valuable player for us from as early as next year on.
We are much better with Bailey williams in the side, going to be a very good player.
Watch Scache next year onwards when we are going better, remember not all young forwards dominate and become very good at his age, Walker, Hawkins, J Riewoldt took a few years.
Macrae has gone big time elite, Hunter has flaws but is criminally underrated.
Naughton and Richards are going to proven to be great selections, even more than we think now.
Trengove i was worried about, never questioned his endeavors and heart but thought that accounted for little with the goals he gave up as a back man, is a beats as a ruck.
Hope we don't lose Wallis.
Libba back next year will automatically make us better, him and Dunkley swapping mid/forward will be good to see.
And i love Maclean, he will do a Macrae and go elite next year.
And we are putting in for a couple of big recruits next year, time will tell if we can get the job done. ;)

Lets be honest, the tigers were playing like the game didn't matter but for the first time this year i seen a game plan be executed by the players. Switching with intent and short passes into the middle actually looked good today. I've been critical of coaching this year but that was great. And the main thing i hope everyone takes out of that is Dahlhaus, Wallis, Jong etc type of players cannot execute that game plan. To beat the good teams you need to maintain possession, switch and slice via short passes into offensive areas of the ground to open up the forward line.

Crozier and Daniel absolutely owned the half back line but jesus our kicking into the F50 needs to much work. We don't know how to kick to advantage. Rather see kicks out into open space rather than on top of heads which suits defenders. Anyhoo, a nice effort to finish the year.

Sorry I'm late into this thread tonight. I read the title and just assumed it was more about the Scott Morrison ascendancy.

Great effort from the Pups today. Not sure if Richmond were 100% switched on but it certainly looked pretty intense and our boys can hold our heads high. No need for the Terry Wallace spew-up speech about brave losses on this occasion. The win was immaterial. The attitude, the new system, the flair and the effort were what was crucial.

They've given us a lot to look forward to over the summer.

My main take-outs were:
  • Naughton is an absolute gun. People are talking about Richards as an outside chance for the NAB Random Star but he's got zero chance. Whether he gets the R23 nomination or not, Naughton will be the player in years to come that people will recall was the cream of the 2017 draft. He was the mainstay of our defence today.
  • Our forward line has a long way to go. Great effort from Gowers today - returned to the forward line for 3 goals after spending a few weeks learning how defenders think. Schache put in another patchy performance. Greene and Wallis got their one-goal-a-week (good lads). Apart from that our goals seemed to come from random and unexpected sources like Lynch, Richards, Dunkley, Trengove, Williams etc. With Dickson injured we simply don't have any dangerous forwards on our list, so it was a credit to the boys that they squeezed out 14 goals today. It could of course be different next year - Gowers might confirm he's a 30+ goal forward, Greene should be a more prolific player and I'm hoping Schache will stay in the game more than he currently does. Maybe even Dickson will return to 100% fitness and stay injury free.
  • Greene has a few nice moves and is a quick decision maker.
  • Macrae is our best player by a good margin at the moment. Hasn't got the class of Bontempelli but his workrate and output are phenomenal. They should close betting on the Charles Sutton Medal now.
  • Caleb Daniel is a revelation (again). So much composure in defence. I don't think the Tigers collared him at any stage - he just seems to find time and space. Zero clangers. His distribution helped set up numerous forays forward. He looked so experienced but we have to remember he's only just turned 22. I guess you could say putting him in defence has been an astute move from Bevo ... or else you could say Bevo has played just about everybody forward and back and so it's just a case of trial and error. He buries his failures (eg Wood and Trengove as key forwards) and persists with the ones that happen to work. Either way, it's a credit to Bevo - it has been paying off handsomely in Caleb's case.
  • We seemed to be using some well-worked moves out of centre bounces today. Kudos to the assistant coach?
  • We also transitioned much better. It's a delicate balance. We didn't want to give them easy possession by bombing it long but we also don't want to be too cautious and play static footy. So the style today was to move it quickly but move it shorter to a safe target. It's still taking the game on and it's clearly been developing over recent weeks. And we looked for the infield or across-field switch to avoid getting shut down playing down the flanks. It will surely give Bevo some encouragement for 2019.
I had been fearful that our weary pups would get thumped by about 10 goals today against the GF-bound Tigers, a loss that would linger with us throughout the off-season, but it turned out to be a real confidence booster. A legitimate cause for optimism as we look toward 2019.

Last edited:
I don't post in here of my thoughts very often but now the season has ended ill write my thought.
I was shocked when i seen people talking about CD being traded for some third round pick, he has so much footy smarts and football nous.
People saying what if Dunkley played mid all year, he was always going to be a very good mid, just needed to work on other things of his game.
If people on here seen what Crozier was like when he played back for the Dockers they would know what he would be like doing it back in Melbourne.
People potting Lynch saying he is depth only and needed to go back and have a VFL spell was way off, his fend off for a 9 game player and speeds and kick on him are going to make him a very valuable player for us from as early as next year on.
We are much better with Bailey williams in the side, going to be a very good player.
Watch Scache next year onwards when we are going better, remember not all young forwards dominate and become very good at his age, Walker, Hawkins, J Riewoldt took a few years.
Naughton and Richards are going to proven to be great selections, even more than we think now.
Trengove i was worried about, never questioned his endeavors and heart but thought that accounted for little with the goals he gave up as a back man, is a beats as a ruck.
Libba back next year will automatically make us better, him and Dunkley swapping mid/forward will be good to see.
And we are putting in for a couple of big recruits next year, time will tell if we can get the job done. ;)
Great post...Couldn’t agree more.

Geelong, St Kilda and North wins were all great but today was my favourite game of the year. Thought we were fantastic and so unlucky not to walk away with the victory. Last four weeks fills me with a lot of optimism coming into next season.

Thought the execution of our gameplan today was top notch. We've tried to play this way a lot over the past two seasons with little success. Didn't think we had the cattle to work with it but today disproved that and I think today foreshadowed what it future looks like and what Beveridge is building towards.

It wasn't just that we were playing keepings off Richmond as well. Not sure where to find the start but they showed it at the ground a few times, that we had a huge amount of play on's from marks. Precise short kicks, try to get their zone out of place and then switch or go onboard when it looks like we have an advantage. Great to watch.

Individually, Hunter and Macrae were fantastic. I know Hunter has a lot of knockers because he has some limitations but the stuff he is great at gets underappreciated. Didn't think it was one of Bonts better games, had an uncharacteristic amount of turnovers, but it's great to see him getting 30 touches a week. More times than not he'll hurt you when he gets that much of the ball. Daniel has been fantastic this past month. The move to half back has been a winner. So good with ball in hand and can really do damage back there. He was key to the game plan today, got us out of trouble more than a few times. Crozier and Naughton were great again. Naughton had a couple of iffy moments but I'm not sure I've ever seen an 18 year old or first year player come in and take the marks he has taken. He'll iron out those mistakes as he gets older and more experienced. He's going to be one hell of a player.

Forward line is probably the issue that limits of chances of rocketing up the ladder next season. Gowers had a great season and I hope he can build on that, Schache has had a strong finish to the year and can hopefully become a 30+ goal a year kicker from next year, but other than that there is not a lot of forwards to count on. Midfield and defense lines look very strong but we'll need to find some players to finish off the good work. Thought Lynch was good up there today. Still probably a half back but it's good to see he has some versatility. Should get a promotion based on his last two months.

Is that you in the photo with Wallis? Cool pic! I'm Scrag. Nice to see a lady here on Bigfooty. Trust me, I'm not like most of the other guys around here. I'm vegan and I actually prefer the WAFL to the AFL as I believe there is more skill. DM me if you wanna chat.

Is that you in the photo with Wallis? Cool pic! I'm Scrag. Nice to see a lady here on Bigfooty. Trust me, I'm not like most of the other guys around here. I'm vegan and I actually prefer the WAFL to the AFL as I believe there is more skill. DM me if you wanna chat.
Vegan way to go man

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Am I crazy for thinking that Bailey Williams deliberately took out Lipinski under instruction from Bev? Seems a bit strange that immediately after the absolute worst turnover of the match the offending player gets smashed by his own team mate. Is that the kind of culture we are trying to enforce? Let the team down and you better watch your back? I don't mind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond supporters are arrogant pricks. So much talk of "coasting" and "nothing being at stake" as to why the game was close. What was at stake for us? A worse draft pick if we win. And the talk of self-preservation. Give me a break. I guarantee none of our players were keen on copping serious injuries in a game with zero stakes either. If anything the Richmond players should have had more incentive to do well to maintain their spots in the side for finals.

Don't get ugly on teams who are ahead of us. Its childish.

Thanks Dad. Who made you boss of who I can support and which teams I can dislike?

Just for the record in this years finals I hope WC win so they take their flag and * off and we don't have to hear about it.

A Richmond back to back would be unbearable...particularly if they add Lynch next year. God help us
No words required for Hawks
Melbourne can get ****ed - long story about their arrogant campaigner supporters
Sydney bearable...just
GWS - hope they never win one
Geel - wait while I vomit
Pies - I could cope with them getting up. Better than Tigers, Hawks or Cats

Thanks Dad. Who made you boss of who I can support and which teams I can dislike?

Just for the record in this years finals I hope WC win so they take their flag and **** off and we don't have to hear about it.

A Richmond back to back would be unbearable...particularly if they add Lynch next year. God help us
No words required for Hawks
Melbourne can get ****** - long story about their arrogant campaigner supporters
Sydney bearable...just
GWS - hope they never win one
Geel - wait while I vomit
Pies - I could cope with them getting up. Better than Tigers, Hawks or Cats

WC all the way.

Richmond are insufferable. So smug, I wouldn't be surprised if they go out in straight sets.

Facts are they should have been beaten by a side that will finish 13th or 14th. Had we converted in the last, we win. They thought we would be easy and it almost backfired.

What the Tigers have to realise is that as well as things never being as bad as you think, they're also never as good either. The rest of the comp isn't that far behind.

On that note, we will make the eight next year, take that to the bank.

I only listened to the first half of the game as I had a dinner to go to, but at least the Bulldogs turned up
the pr0n star (Hard-Wick) would have been shocked by the lack of intensity for the contest and the
desire to stay out of the hospital bed his players showed in the first half. This was really poor when you
consider their VFL team is in a very similar position of contention and full of eager talent. I did not
think either team was going to kick a point for the game such was the bruise free nature of the game.
As I said I only listened to the first half I think Macrae was nearing 25 possessions at that stage which
irked me as I thought he was destined for some attention and switched the fantasy captaincy to Mitch
Duncan from Geelong who I thought had an easier afternoon in store. Anyway now that the season is
over I can get out my statistical rake of analysis and drag it over the corpse that is buried deep in the
backs of our minds.

Libber replaces Wallis ( good 23rd man to have during inevitable injury but Libber so much better with ball), Picken if fit and ready replaces Lipinski until he retires, Adams/Cordy/English/Boyd fight to replace Roughead and ease Dale into twilight of career with the odd rest. Ed and Lynch required for speed and kick over Dahl if he stays ( good 23rd man to have with Mitch far ahead of Jong/Honey). Suckling another good upgrade.

Rest of today’s team stays for me. Mids are humming along, Naughton ( Weitering wins a RS and I can’t get a nom?!?) Wood at best, JJ back where he belongs. If we can cobble together a consistently functional forward line we are close to back next year. Maybe one more #2020Premiers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bailey Dale is another who will hopefully be in the mix. His 2017 season was very good.

• Macrae is our best player by a good margin at the moment. Hasn't got the class of Bontempelli but his workrate and output are phenomenal. They should close betting on the Charles Sutton Medal now.
  • No doubt he has been our best player this year, and by a fair margin, but do you think by missing four games it doesn't make the B&F a one horse race? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Hunter won it.

Decent effort by the boys to finish the season. You can see the gameplan starting to come together. The ball distribution from the back half was great. The way we work the switch now is very good.

Nice to see Caleb and Dunks both turn around mediocre starts to the season. Caleb especially. Happy to admit I was wrong on him, as I thought he was in such a deep hole based on his limitations that he would never get out of. So big probs to him and Bevo for turning it around.

Looking forward to seeing how we go in the off season now... it's going to be interesting.

How will fare in 2019. This is difficult to predict improvers outside 8 likely Bombers, Dogs and Lions. How much we improve depends on a lot factors, recruiting, development, injuries, the draw, goal kicking accuracy, winning the close ones.

If we get the above pretty right we are a realistic finals contender.

This game reflects our season.

Had a chance to achieve something, had some good patches and got to within striking distance of our goal, but ultimately let that chance go begging.

There have been a lot of things to like about the second half of the season, some new players really improved and some older players showed they are still good when circumstances allow.

Lynch was a real surprise packet for me, has a lot of talent and seemingly came out of nowhere, to display it.

Roughead's game yesterday was also pretty noteworthy and showed what he can bring with a bit of fitness and continuity.

But we shouldn't forget that we missed the finals in a year where we had the talent to make it, in a year where most of the finals teams aren't that great, and the cup is very much up for grabs.

It is easy to just blame this wasted year on injuries, but the reality is that we were poor before most of the injuries occurred. Our team selection absolutely sucked, and we continually shot ourselves in the foot.

The question we need to ask is, how do we avoid making the same mistakes next year?

Bev is great at playing a difficult hand, but he has a tendency to screw things up badly when he has too many options and tends to outsmart himself.

I'd be happy with minimal playing list changes, barring retirements and drafting, but think we need to adjust the coaching panel a bit to balance out it's current weaknesses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back