Analysis THE "WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN SPP" TEARS THREAD

SPP or DV, there can be only one Dustin Martin

• SPP - Has more campaigner than he knows what to do with

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • DV - Plays like Luke Shuey mixed with Michael Gardiner.

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Jack Watts is the one true king.

Votes: 68 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we can say now, with what we know Venables over SPP was the wrong choice. It happens.

Despite Venners being a premiership player. SPP arguably would've contributed more in that season, certainly in that game, and beyond.

No shame in saying it. English would've been better than both IMO, and NONE of us wanted that dopey kent at the time.
English has the girly squib mcdougirls about him. You see the fear in his eyes

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting one looking back at that draft was Shai Bolton went at #29. I think the general consensus that year was he was rated somewhere between 25 - 35 - shame he didn't last till our Pick 37.

The other funny one talking about the prospect of Tim English using our first pick once SPS was gone and rucks in general - this was a comment in a draft article at the time "The Eagles have also recently caught up with ruckman Sean Darcy who could be a project player later in the draft." Went at 38 directly after we took Rotham, now a B&F winner.

Bloody North got Zurhaar as a rookie from East Fremantle too. Not a bad get.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting one looking back at that draft was Shai Bolton went at #29. I think the general consensus that year was he was rated somewhere between 25 - 35 - shame he didn't last till our Pick 37.

The other funny one talking about the prospect of Tim English using our first pick once SPS was gone and rucks in general - this was a comment in a draft article at the time "The Eagles have also recently caught up with ruckman Sean Darcy who could be a project player later in the draft." Went at 38 directly after we took Rotham, now a B&F winner.

Bloody North got Zurhaar as a rookie from East Fremantle too. Not a bad get.
I think Bolton got massive hype in the media very close to the draft and was projected as going even higher than 29. He was linked to our first pick for a short time IIRC. Richmond got a bargain in the end.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Bolton got massive hype in the media very close to the draft and was projected as going even higher than 29. He was linked to our first pick for a short time IIRC. Richmond got a bargain in the end.

Bolton was always expected to be a second round pick. He had and has shown much higher talent levels than the pick he was acquired for but there were application and off field issues which were part of why he was expected to go later. When he was drafted at 29 I thought it was early even though I highly rated him. Richmond did get a bargain but there's no guarantee that he'd be in the system still if he stayed in WA or particularly at WCE who likely wouldnt have swept a fair few things under the carpet.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I wish that we would just draft the player that we want without subscribing to idea of drafting a player too early.
Bolton was never gonna be taken until the 20's due to his supposed draft range.
The same reason why we missed out on TK in the 2017 draft.
Also due to thinking that you need to draft a slider that's good too pass up, even if you don't need them.
We could've missed out on Oscar Allen as well if someone took before him before pick 21.
It could've been:
13 Allen
21 Kelly
26 Ryan
If Geelong had drafted Ryan after missing out on Kelly, we would've had Bayley Fritsch available at our pick. Sam Taylor as well.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Bolton was always expected to be a second round pick. He had and has shown much higher talent levels than the pick he was acquired for but there were application and off field issues which were part of why he was expected to go later. When he was drafted at 29 I thought it was early even though I highly rated him. Richmond did get a bargain but there's no guarantee that he'd be in the system still if he stayed in WA or particularly at WCE who likely wouldnt have swept a fair few things under the carpet.
I’m talking late in the year closer to the draft. After he dominated that all star u/19 game or whatever it was.

Bolton is likely to feature in the first or second round in this year's AFL draft

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Phew we dodged a bullet
"We will see how committed Sam is by the way he comes back for the pre-season. He needs to come back in a fitter state than what he has previously. If he does that, he has every chance to play in our midfield."

I'm assuming our offer to port (and probably financially to SPP) reflected the above.

Hence why they both wanted no part in it.

It's pretty poor from Port to say how highly valued he is, not letting him go unless there is an attractive offer etc, then 3 days later come out in the media and say he needs to work harder and hasn't been coming back in shape for a number of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

free2play

Debutant
Jul 1, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I wish that we would just draft the player that we want without subscribing to idea of drafting a player too early.
Bolton was never gonna be taken until the 20's due to his supposed draft range.
The same reason why we missed out on TK in the 2017 draft.
Also due to thinking that you need to draft a slider that's good too pass up, even if you don't need them.
We could've missed out on Oscar Allen as well if someone took before him before pick 21.
It could've been:
13 Allen
21 Kelly
26 Ryan
If Geelong had drafted Ryan after missing out on Kelly, we would've had Bayley Fritsch available at our pick. Sam Taylor as well.
Derrick Weedon says hello

Bolton was a 177cm player who was largely playing forward in colts. It we had picked him with our first draft pick you could have heard the screams for days

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Think it was AFL grand final morning or the week before. Pretty much said our players didn’t turn up to preseason in shape.

"When we made Gov the fat campaigner vice captain (and acting captain on occasion) we didn't expect players would actually try to emulate the fitness standards of someone we see as a leader of this football club"

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
We all know Gov has never been the fittest bloke but there was no drama's with him always looking like a country or suburban footballer, provided he kept intercept marking like a machine on the field.

But you'd think that sort of knock about attitude would put a big red line through your name in terms of being considered for leadership roles at AFL level.

Back