Analysis THE "WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN SPP" TEARS THREAD

SPP or DV, there can be only one Dustin Martin

• SPP - Has more campaigner than he knows what to do with

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • DV - Plays like Luke Shuey mixed with Michael Gardiner.

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Jack Watts is the one true king.

Votes: 68 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How many guys come in and impact straight away though?

The reason SPP's getting so much attention is that he's the exception rather than the rule.

Seeing he's lost to us I can relate to those seeking comfort from the Rhys Palmer analogy of one who's made an immediate impact but then fallen in a heap. Of course Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Bontempelli and co all say hi.

2 things

If SPP was on our list he would have played in 2 EP losses so far this season and we would have been wishing we went for someone else:

also

Reminds me of the fuss about Dalziel when he had 40 possessions on debut.

A good start doesn't automatically mean he is the best pick from the draft

I say again, it's his style of play. He does not play anything like these other patsy peasants that just float around and rack up the ball. Any Dalziell love was realistically only as a dream team bargain

Venables my turn out good but the thing I like about SPP is his attitude. The way they described DV was a "good kid". He might have the attributes to be a beast, but if he's as soft and gutless as half our midfield his attributes count for nothing. Fend offs and tackle breaking doesn't work unless you have a bit of arrogance about you.

Look at Yeo and Shuey for example. They are players you love to hate when you're playing against them. Fyfe, Martin, even Dangerfield to a point all have arrogance and only eyes for the ball. This is SPP, and to make it even more obvious, he grew up right under our noses, bleeding blue and gold. We've needed someone like him since Beau left

Only time will tell.
But we may have taken Vegetables or Salt and Pepper when there was a Berry left on the tree.
And that Berry may end up the sweetest fruit of all. We shall see.

Venables my turn out good but the thing I like about SPP is his attitude. The way they described DV was a "good kid". He might have the attributes to be a beast, but if he's as soft and gutless as half our midfield his attributes count for nothing. Fend offs and tackle breaking doesn't work unless you have a bit of arrogance about you.

Look at Yeo and Shuey for example. They are players you love to hate when you're playing against them. Fyfe, Martin, even Dangerfield to a point all have arrogance and only eyes for the ball. This is SPP, and to make it even more obvious, he grew up right under our noses, bleeding blue and gold. We've needed someone like him since Beau left
true but this guy has turned up when it matters in big moments. Did that last year. He also does seem to emulate shuey so i wouldn't be surprised if he picks up a few shuey mannerisms

True but he said Duggan would be a superstar too and had a man crush on him. 2 years later the poor kid is struggling at WAFL level, don't think the Shue is that good a judge yet
yes but duggan has had fair share of injuries thats stalled his development.

Happy with Venables. Port had 2 picks inside top 20 (SPP was their second pick) and we too would have picked SPP if we had another pick inside 20. Just wish we turned our first 2 picks and a player into two picks inside top 20 which could have enabled us to pick both Venables and SPP. Perhaps this was not so Ezy because all the players we were happy to let go had no real trade value. Port had to give up their first round pick in 2017 (among other things) in order to get 2 picks inside 20 last year. So we might be able to get SPP back if we give them our first round pick this year. I guess everybody is happy to do that trade?

We should definitely wait a couple of years for Venables to actually be a bust and then melt down properly. I'm starting to feel like people are melting down now just in case Venables turns out well just so they don't miss out on quality melt time.

Couple of years is kinda of a problem, we don't have Mitchell for much longer SPP would be huge for us in the middle now.

Happy with Venables. Port had 2 picks inside top 20 (SPP was their second pick) and we too would have picked SPP if we had another pick inside 20. Just wish we turned our first 2 picks and a player into two picks inside top 20 which could have enabled us to pick both Venables and SPP. Perhaps this was not so Ezy because all the players we were happy to let go had no real trade value. Port had to give up their first round pick in 2017 (among other things) in order to get 2 picks inside 20 last year. So we might be able to get SPP back if we give them our first round pick this year. I guess everybody is happy to do that trade?
Maybe If we finished last.

Port will not be giving up SPP

So what you're saying, is that we should have traded Mackenzie? I agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way Port gives up SPP for a 1st round pick imo and that gives you a fair indication of how good he is

One of the port posters, Janus , posted that Hinkley told him that they specifically targeted SPP and would have taken him with their pick 9 had they not traded it. Took advantage of his low ranking at other clubs to trade down so they could still get him but also another top 20 pick. Pretty smart by them tbh but slightly risky if talk that our WA based recruiters wanted him before being over ruled is true

They aren't going to give him away without a fight and from everything I've seen, SPP looks right at home with port. Very unlikely he comes back to WA and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he extends his contract with port before the halfway point of this year

Can we just start a dan Venables thread instead and move on from this disaster. It's seems like we moved on from the EF quicker than this Trainwreck.

Couple of years is kinda of a problem, we don't have Mitchell for much longer SPP would be huge for us in the middle now.

List managers have to take the 5-10 year view or they're doing it wrong. It's nice when an 18 year old comes in and seriously adds to the team, but it's either really rare or a sign your team isn't that flash.

List managers have to take the 5-10 year view or they're doing it wrong. It's nice when an 18 year old comes in and seriously adds to the team, but it's either really rare or a sign your team isn't that flash.
I'd say the last bit applies to us in the sense that we don't have anyone similar to him apart from shuey. I would've thought we'd have enough Victorian mids stocked for the next decade. What we needed was someone who could help us in this window. Really frustrating that the Melbourne based recruiters get final say. Of course they're going to pick the Victorian kid who they've been watching all year. We have no forward line after Jk and Lecca so our window is the next 2-3 years. Venables will come good when they are all gone. Hindsight is an amazing thing but if port traded down picks by using their 2017 first rounder surely we were thinking about it. Venables was rated late teens as well as SPP. Both would've been a steal and set our midfield up for a long time

Only time will tell.
But we may have taken Vegetables or Salt and Pepper when there was a Berry left on the tree.
And that Berry may end up the sweetest fruit of all. We shall see.
A new challenger approaches?

I see Berry just had 29 disposals, 12 marks, 4 tackles and a goal in his first game for the Brisbane Lions reserves.

I'm confident VB will be the man we need. Look at his highlights from the swan districts game on the WCE site. Impressive!

I'm confident VB will be the man we need. Look at his highlights from the swan districts game on the WCE site. Impressive!
Just had a look, very impressive!

Back