Analysis THE "WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN SPP" TEARS THREAD

SPP or DV, there can be only one Dustin Martin

• SPP - Has more campaigner than he knows what to do with

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • DV - Plays like Luke Shuey mixed with Michael Gardiner.

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Jack Watts is the one true king.

Votes: 68 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Youngest West Coast premiership player
Shane Bond (1994) - 19 years, 84 days
Mitchell White (1992) - 19 years, 182 days
Glen Jakovich (1992) - 19 years, 186 days
Daniel Venables (2018) - 19 years, 314 days
Ashley McIntosh (1992) - 19 years, 342 days

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reminds us how special that 1992 team were and how only winning 2 flags in that period may be viewed as underachieving

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
May have been only 4 possessions but his intent on grand final day showed you he’s elite. He attacked contests like a veteran, did the small things right like tackling, chasing and pressuring. Immensely impressive and I think we’ve got something special here - may not be a top 5 AFL midfielder but he’s going to be a star for the eagles if we can retain him.

There was a contest I think were he won the hard ball, drew two players, took the tackle and released someone else for a I50 - got pretty excited by that.
Yup it was brilliant, it showed his strenghts in a very small package.
So clean and smart football thinking. He released it to Yeo. 7 showed a replay and i thought they were going to mention it and say what class it showed from the youngster. Alas no, they simply go on about how thats where maynard hurt his shoulder and miss the quality football.
If Dusty or a media darling did that play they would be jizzing and fawning for days

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
DV is developing quite nicely imo, thought he was actually pretty effective on GF day. Not worried about his low disposal count just yet, but confident it'll come good next season, but he's proven that he can still offer pretty good service even with few disposals.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How's this looking now one amongst BOG in carving up Eagles other struggling at WAFL level .

For DVs sake I hope he makes a successful career in AFL , maybe as a Premiership player he already has.

Where do people see DV fitting into Eagles going forward , best position ?

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
How's this looking now one amongst BOG in carving up Eagles other struggling at WAFL level .

For DVs sake I hope he makes a successful career in AFL , maybe as a Premiership player he already has.

One played a crucial role in a premiership team and has a medal around his neck, while the other was dropped in a middling
ladder team at the same time. Things change quickly.

Congrats on the win yesterday and I personally love SPP as a player, but to gloat after a one off performance is a bit much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Spp wouldnt fit at the eagles (usually) we are about precise kicking - the turnovers hed cause would break our system down

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

I knew this thread would raise its head again. Power-Pepper did it all last night, and had a terrific game . DV has a bit to do here.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast

An absolutely shithouse kick, that wouldn't improve WC as a side.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I am and have been probably the biggest criticizer of Venables all the way through however the game last night was perfectly tailored to show off SPP's strengths and hide his weaknesses. If SPP played in the 80's he would be a superstar. Problem is i just don't see his kicking ever being quality.

(and yes i was an advocate of drafting him. well either him, drew or gallucci as i wasn't big on berry either i just thought he would be a middling at best inside mid so i obviously had s**t for brains that year with my drafting)

I'm pretty sure I actually wanted Drew and Rotham for our first two picks. (Well i really wanted Taranto and he just kept rising and rising and rising) In some ways I can see the venables choice as an easy one by WCE, Taranto and Venables played very similarly when on the park and Taranto jumped up the rankings with great performances while Venables continued to be injured and tease a similar level of ability. To me just doesn't have the game sense. Right attitude, right attributes, right size, doesn't have the game sense and it's very easy to see how that happens missing so much of the most important development years due to injury.

Back