Analysis THE "WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN SPP" TEARS THREAD

SPP or DV, there can be only one Dustin Martin

• SPP - Has more campaigner than he knows what to do with

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • DV - Plays like Luke Shuey mixed with Michael Gardiner.

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Jack Watts is the one true king.

Votes: 68 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Who cares about one game.

He contributed to us winning the flag, and played his part all year. That's what matters. Some crucial touches throughout the season and in the finals series.

Finding the footy is most definitely a concern though. Something Powell Pepsi doesn't have a problem with.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
SPP is absolute trash and everyone knows it.

That's aside from
AFL Rising star judges (3rd , 2nd his draft year )
AFL Coaches association ( voted his first two years from draft class 2016 as best )

That's first two years

Year 3
AFL coaches votes in 3 of 6 played

There's no need for attacks on players , I hope DV eventually looks like the player some though he'd be when drafted so early . He has a flag right now which the great majority will never get .

I'm sure he's very talented as the people who drafted him aren't stupid they'd know 100x and more about footy than I ever will .

But first selection from 2011 onward

Murray Newman ( bust )
Brant Colledge (bust )
Dom Sheed ( win )
Liam Duggan (win )
Luke Partington ( bust )
Dan Venables ( ?????)
Jarrod Brander (???)

The wins x 2 you'd have to assess expectation of their early draft , those drafted after etc etc

It's not an exact science but as above shows Eagles have no immunity from making mistakes . To be fair Colledge was drafted in 40s so bust rate would be higher

In support of DV , this time last year both Sheed and Duggan as very early draftees would have been borderline bust / win . Sheed back in WAFL a few times last year due to form and only got GF spot with Gaff suspension . Note his WAFL form was outstanding .

So DV not done but poor form WAFL level not good .

Back to this thread though I think given time again WCE would snatch at SPP

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
That's aside from
AFL Coaches association ( voted his first two years from draft class 2016 as best )

That's first two years

Year 3

There's no need for attacks on players , I hope DV eventually looks like the player some though he'd be when drafted so early . He has a flag right now which the great majority will never get .

I'm sure he's very talented as the people who drafted him aren't stupid they'd know 100x and more about footy than I ever will .

Murray Newman ( bust )
Brant Colledge (bust )
Dom Sheed ( win )
Liam Duggan (win )
Luke Partington ( bust )
Dan Venables ( ?????)
Jarrod Brander (???)

The wins x 2 you'd have to assess expectation of their early draft , those drafted after etc etc

It's not an exact science but as above shows Eagles have no immunity from making mistakes . To be fair Colledge was drafted in 40s so bust rate would be higher

In support of DV , this time last year both Sheed and Duggan as very early draftees would have been borderline bust / win . Sheed back in WAFL a few times last year due to form and only got GF spot with Gaff suspension . Note his WAFL form was outstanding .

Im not slagging him off - he works well at port and would be fantastic at richmond

But we need surgeons for our game plan - not bulldozers.

Our game plan breaks down with poor kicking

Saying hes trash is obvs rubbish - you have to be around this board a bit to get the hyperbole - (lose a game = fold the club immediately etc etc )

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
That's aside from

That's first two years

Year 3

Murray Newman ( bust )
Brant Colledge (bust )
Dom Sheed ( win )
Liam Duggan (win )
Luke Partington ( bust )
Dan Venables ( ?????)
Jarrod Brander (???)

He can’t kick.

If you are happy with him then we can both be happy with our opinion and agree to disagree.

truman

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We probably could have won the flag with SPP instead of DV, but we definitely won the flag with DV instead of SPP.

Thought that would put to bed all this discussion.

On that logic Masten > Danger

Both drafted in 07, but Danger wasn't in our premiership side nor has he ever been in one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Venables might not get a lot of it, but seeing our last performance, we are actually better with him in the team because of his pressure and chasing - he has speed too.

On that logic Masten > Danger

Both drafted in 07, but Danger wasn't in our premiership side nor has he ever been in one

Not really.

Of course most would think Dangerfield is a much better player than Masten, but the fact is we won a flag with Masten playing most games including in the GF, so to complain that Dangerfield is a better player demeans the contribution of who we actually picked up in 2007.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
That's aside from

That's first two years

Year 3

Murray Newman ( bust )
Brant Colledge (bust )
Dom Sheed ( win )
Liam Duggan (win )
Luke Partington ( bust )
Dan Venables ( ?????)
Jarrod Brander (???)

Given the respective performances of the last 15 years, do you want to run your eye over the recruiting credentials of your own club?

After that, check out the respective evaluation of exposed AFL players, both on and off the field.

We'll back the club in, especially when it comes to identifying players that can and cannot kick.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My note detailed that it's not an exact science , all clubs get it wrong even Eagles . Ones that work out are often talked off , failures not .

Hindsight is wonderful , a year ago credentials of Sheed and Duggan could have been questioned

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Given the respective performances of the last 15 years, do you want to run your eye over the recruiting credentials of your own club?

After that, check out the respective evaluation of exposed AFL players, both on and off the field.

We'll back the club in, especially when it comes to identifying players that can and cannot kick.

I'll run with the 18 AFL coaches opinion

truman

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Not really.

Of course most would think Dangerfield is a much better player than Masten, but the fact is we won a flag with Masten playing most games including in the GF, so to complain that Dangerfield is a better player demeans the contribution of who we actually picked up in 2007.

I'm really happy with who we picked up, at the end of the day you're not always going to pick up the best player. But when you do analyse who you could have picked in a draft you look at the overall quality of the player.

I find that people here just think that being a premiership player automatically ends the discussion. If you added in Venables speed and tackling was critical to our premiership that's a much better argument than he played in a premiership side and spp didn't therefore we picked the better player

Back