Analysis THE "WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN SPP" TEARS THREAD

SPP or DV, there can be only one Dustin Martin

• SPP - Has more campaigner than he knows what to do with

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • DV - Plays like Luke Shuey mixed with Michael Gardiner.

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Jack Watts is the one true king.

Votes: 68 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

SPP seems. To get them through the big sticks as regularly as any of them.

He's miles ahead of Venables at this stage and looks set to play plenty of games for Port.

I don't think it's panic stations with Venables yet but he has a lot of work ahead of him.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, I don’t get why people are so sensitive about Venables, facts are he is way behind SPP in output and is very lucky he was kept in the team last year. Don’t forget a lot of our team had dodgy disposal til Simmo put all that work into making us better, so who knows what SPP would be like if he was with us. Either way SPP has done a lot more than Venables at this stage. Hopefully Venables lives up to the hype eventually.

This has gotta be one of the most benign / good natured shitfights I've seen on bigfooty. Refreshing.

Personally would've thought SPP could be peak GAJ and the majority of WC supporters would be ambivalent, knowing even the most inconspicuous change to the previous couple years could butterfly effect you guys out of the 2018 flag. Or maybe it's just me.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We probably could have won the flag with SPP instead of DV, but we definitely won the flag with DV instead of SPP.

Thought that would put to bed all this discussion.

Given WCE recruitment run out of Melbourne and strong rumour that Melb Head of recruitment overruled WA guys in this it's a nice side issue to tick along as boy guys careers develop .

SPP - lots of accolades to date , few not so good days

DV - got a premiership medal

Both playing a game they love for a job I imagine life's not too bad .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
DV did a lot of good things during the GF. That tap to Rioli>Cripps he set up and should of got a free kick for being tackled without taking possession. Also Jk messed up another set shot in the first when he should of called DV in.

Got cooked by Ryan in the last, I think, when Ryan went to Kennedy in the pocket when DV was wide open (JK snaps the goal). That’s 3 potential goals.

However, if you want to see his best game, look a week earlier at the PF. Not a bad stage to play your best game.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we all know SPP will eventually run out of off field credits at Port and be Fremantle Saviour Recruit #328 within the next 5 years.

Interesting photo you have attached to have such an opinion

Very full of yourself and your own opinion to script "I think we all know " ,
Plus your already wrong because I don't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
SPP seems. To get them through the big sticks as regularly as any of them.

He's miles ahead of Venables at this stage and looks set to play plenty of games for Port.

I don't think it's panic stations with Venables yet but he has a lot of work ahead of him.

That's not really a high bar though is it? Our third best performed ruck of last year is now their #1.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Given WCE recruitment run out of Melbourne and strong rumour that Melb Head of recruitment overruled WA guys in this it's a nice side issue to tick along as boy guys careers develop .

SPP - lots of accolades to date , few not so good days

DV - got a premiership medal

Both playing a game they love for a job I imagine life's not too bad .

1. Strong rumour? How can they be over ruled? Was it the WA recruiters decision who to take? No. Therefore cannot be over ruled.

2. I have never seen people get all worked up over a b grade midfielder. One thing is to play well when you are smashing a team and another in a pressure cooked and he has shown time and time again that he turns it over constantly.

chaddy22

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
1. Strong rumour? How can they be over ruled? Was it the WA recruiters decision who to take? No. Therefore cannot be over ruled.

2. I have never seen people get all worked up over a b grade midfielder. One thing is to play well when you are smashing a team and another in a pressure cooked and he has shown time and time again that he turns it over constantly.
We haven't picked up spp and tim Kelly when we we short of midfielders.lots of negative talk about both but consider that both are up and running playing good afl footy where as the eagles have gone a different tangent and picked up players who are not midfielders in early picks.Our midfield is getting smashed at the moment.We knew venables was carrying a injury when we picked him up.If he has any upside it will take years and maybe the premiership window is gonski.You might not like spp but could we have picked up someone better at pick 13.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We haven't picked up spp and tim Kelly when we we short of midfielders.lots of negative talk about both but consider that both are up and running playing good afl footy where as the eagles have gone a different tangent and picked up players who are not midfielders in early picks.Our midfield is getting smashed at the moment.We knew venables was carrying a injury when we picked him up.If he has any upside it will take years and maybe the premiership window is gonski.You might not like spp but could we have picked up someone better at pick 13.

I think a very important consideration in regards to the drafting of Sam was getting him away from his Perth crew of mates. I think what happened at the pre-season game at Leederville probably backed this up.

I don't see a whole lot in Venables and felt his grand final last year would have gone down in Davis, Motlop or Ballantyne territory had you lost, but I don't think Sam was ever a viable option for a Perth based club.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Maybe if our WA recruiters didn’t have a shitty history over last 10 years in recruiting WA players, they would have been listened to more.

Just support our player. It’s pretty sad you want venables to fail so you can feel you made the right point. That’s the impression anyway as you have nothing positive to say about the club you supposedly support - ever.

When SPP starts delivering in tight contests and not when port is hammering the opposition, I will say we failed. Until then, all I see is turnovers.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There was no pre season game against Port at Leederville this year and given his profile it had never been a suggestion that "his crew of mates " created problem previous year . As even you as a mud slinger might get, if there had been it would have been feasted upon.

It's what Danny Green calls a Coward punch

I'd suggest you either detail your ?? gossip or withdraw it.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
There was no pre season game against Port at Leederville this year and given his profile it had never been a suggestion that "his crew of mates " created problem previous year . As even you as a mud slinger might get, if there had been it would have been feasted upon.

It's what Danny Green calls a Coward punch

I'd suggest you either detail your ?? gossip or withdraw it.

I think you should stop putting up ultimatums on other teams boards . You are a guest here and this is not the main or port board .

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think you should stop putting up ultimatums on other teams boards . You are a guest here and this is not the main or port board .

I'm trying to apply some standards to what should be reasoned discussion and debate . I don't think any board is the place to smear the athletes we are all scripting about . Right id right and I'll call anyone out , any board, any team, if they resort to unsubstantiated potentially litigious comments . I got my standards , you appear to have differing values

I'm trying to apply some standards to what should be reasoned discussion and debate . I don't think any board is the place to smear the athletes we are all scripting about . Right id right and I'll call anyone out , any board, any team, if they resort to unsubstantiated potentially litigious comments . I got my standards , you appear to have differing values

"Possibly litigious"

I don't think Miguel Sanchez would even take that case.

Back