The Weekend Australian's (Newslimited) Jihad on AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2008
Bondi Beach
AFL Club
Sydney
I have notice in the past 10 or so weeks they always have NRL game review on the front of their sports page with the whole top cover having an NRL picture and story with an AFL game in a small note pad size story with no picture on the bottom.

Before this it was like 80% to 20% AFL last year and early this year.

So are newslimited trying to promoted NRL nationally?

I get it for free.

I'm not sure about Saturday's Oz, but on Monday's they actually tailor the front page of the sport section to each market. You might find on Saturdays it's similar, that's why it looks heavily NRL if you buy it in Sydney.

Not that their AFL coverage is anything special anyway.

I'm not sure about Saturday's Oz, but on Monday's they actually tailor the front page of the sport section to each market. You might find on Saturdays it's similar, that's why it looks heavily NRL if you buy it in Sydney.

Not that their AFL coverage is anything special anyway.

The so called "national" newspaper only sells about 40,000 in Melbourne and is produced out of News Ltds Sydneys office so of course they would favour the main code in Sydney where most of their readership lives.

Saying that you would think their readership would be more your RU type.

Different editions, qld and nsw get nrl as the main picture and story on the front page of sport, all other states get afl as the main story.

Calm down, no jihad

You are one of the very few who actually read the oz, it's circulation is 130k, of that many are freebies, 40% of their sales would be to political staffers, another 25% would be finance industry, meaning hardly anyone actually puts money in their pocket and buys it at a newsagent. They have a sense of importance that is way out of step with their actual influence.

I have notice in the past 10 or so weeks they always have NRL game review on the front of their sports page with the whole top cover having an NRL picture and story with an AFL game in a small note pad size story with no picture on the bottom.

I get it for free.

haha, I like how you put 'I get it for free' to pre-empt anyone saying 'why the hell do you buy the Australian?'

haha, I like how you put 'I get it for free' to pre-empt anyone saying 'why the hell do you buy the Australian?'

I also read it for "free" online and will do so until greedy Murdoch starts charging for it.

I would never pay one cent to read its biased lies and crap that it now mainly consists of.

I get it for free.

because basically its a Sydney rag and Newslimited own a good % of NRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back