Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Twitter I'd imagine has a fairly young user-base, so wording and lingo used would be aimed at appealing to them.

The more formal writing will appear on the website and in press releases, but Twitter is used as a bit of fun.
I think initially with probably some older folks in charge of the PR/Media stuff they didn't quite grasp what Twitter is and kept it very formal and in-line with traditional media.

But either someone new has come in, or they've just realised that people on twitter are younger and more attracted to a more casual way of communicating.

Sorry, twitter is "a bit of Fun" and "has a fairly young user base"...

There are times when people post things that remind me of how out of touch with reality Perth people are ...

You should join twitter, use it a while, and get back to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erbenz

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Twitter's fairly useful if used correctly. I used it to keep track of news, current affairs, sports stuff plus stuff that my friends in creative and professional circles are getting up to. Whilst its instantaneity is 'casual' it's also a very efficient way of getting information out about natural disasters and timetable changes etc. and subsequently a footy club that enters such fields has to be smart about what it's doing in those contexts.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sorry, twitter is "a bit of Fun" and "has a fairly young user base"...

There are times when people post things that remind me of how out of touch with reality Perth people are ...

You should join twitter, use it a while, and get back to us

Been on Twitter a few years now.

And I don't live in Perth, so not really out of touch.

Nice one though champ.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Stats show twitter is used by younger people more than a lot of social media sites. People following a sports team will generally be a younger demographic so the communication is aimed at them.

They aren't reporting AGM findings their talking about videos and match day stats, so you word the tweets accordingly.

If you haven't noticed for casual most people are on Twitter then I suggest you broaden your followers.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Stats show twitter is used by younger people more than a lot of social media sites. People following a sports team will generally be a younger demographic so the communication is aimed at them.

They aren't reporting AGM findings their talking about videos and match day stats, so you word the tweets accordingly.

If you haven't noticed for casual most people are on Twitter then I suggest you broaden your followers.

I find it about the best way of keeping instantly update with news, special interests, such as sport and also with customers/business related issues ...

Sure there is a shortform/casual aspect to much of the communication but the idea that WC, as an elite sports organisation and high profile business, should communicate like we are teenagers chatting at school, misses the mark IMO ...

Check out something like @Patriots to see how a professional sports team does it

Last edited:

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Is Eagle87 like Smotie?

Another user to put on ignore?

You're asking SwiftforPM? The juvenile who follows me around the board "trying" to provoke an argument which usually ends up with him being carded?

You must be quite new here :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

omgitsmark

Rookie
Mar 22, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
There's a new girl doing it since about 3-4 months ago. The young guy who did it before was a bit more of a standard BigFooty-esque user, just a young guy keen on his footy/knew a lot about his footy and was a passionate Eagles man and would occasionally respond to people sending tweets to the WCE account from his own personal account and get involved in the banter. I find the new 'style' pretty cringe-worthy/try-hard... the Instagram feed is 90% photos of Eagles players at schools.

Not funny.
Not clever.
Not sure the point of this post.
Go figure.

It was funnier, and generally more relevant then anything you've said in this entire thread believe it or not.

You just had a dig at Smotie and E87, don't suddenly play innocent and take the moral high ground when you cop it back.

Looks like we have a 13 year old running the tweeting department.

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 4h

PS- Nic Nat had 50 hit-outs on Friday. Fifty. Woah. pic.twitter.com/msNfcLYVjn

Sandi gets 50 every week TBH.

Haha 1 guy on facebook gave it to them after they asked if "Emac should be all australian and is Huthings our best tagger?"

He's like "who gives a s**t, all i care about is effort and the effort this club is putting in right now is disgusting..." or something along those lines.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Sandi gets 50 every week TBH.

Haha 1 guy on facebook gave it to them after they asked if "Emac should be all australian and is Huthings our best tagger?"

He's like "who gives a s**t, all i care about is effort and the effort this club is putting in right now is disgusting..." or something along those lines.

Maybe I am just being a grumpy old bastard but it's more the delivery than the content.

Back