Mega Thread The Welcome Thread - If you're new (or old) to BigFooty introduce yourself here

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello people,

I would like to join in on your Collingwood threads.

I am fat, going bald, turning forty and a third generation Collingwood supporter with teeth.

Favourite players (in no particular order):

- The Hulk

- Daicos

- Browny

- Munkhurst

- Leon Neon

- Sav

- Medhurst

- Didak

- Cloke

- Penels

- Swann

- Marsh

Favourite Collingwood games (in no particular order):

- 2010 Geelong prelim

- 2006 ?(I think) 86 point smashing of Geelong

- 2002? Port Adelaide prelim victory

Favourite games (in no particular order):

- That final cannot remember the year Geelong V Hawthorn, Geelong lose but Ablett kicks 9 on Langford.

- Can not remember the year Geelong V Essendon, Geelong lose, Ablett kicks 15? and Salmon kicks 10.

No need to ask me who the better Ablett IMO senior is hands down.

What I love about the current game:

- Faster with greater skill

- The bump

- Jamie Elliot’s marking

- Any of Leon’s/Didak’s magical goals

What I hate about the current game:

- Congestion

- Scoring replays

- Umpires that don’t let the game flow, every game should be umpired like current Grand Finals.

I know right, I relish on it now.

Mind you, this was 6 years ago.
I think you might have killed my interest in debates, because yours last far too long.:p How do you do it without getting sick of it?

I don't really have enough time for them anymore anyway.

Also, did you have another account before this one? Because you said 6 years ago, but you joined 3 years ago.:confused:

I think you might have killed my interest in debates, because yours last far too long.:p How do you do it without getting sick of it?

I don't really have enough time for them anymore anyway.

Also, did you have another account before this one? Because you said 6 years ago, but you joined 3 years ago.:confused:
An unhealthy desire to be right and a stubbornness that matches a Tauros. Not that I believe in astrology or whatever.

Yeah I did. 2 I believe. I won't say because they were the postings of a 14 year old and I'd prefer to let them rot in the deep, dark BF dungeons haha

An unhealthy desire to be right and a stubbornness that matches a Tauros. Not that I believe in astrology or whatever.

Yeah I did. 2 I believe. I won't say because they were the postings of a 14 year old and I'd prefer to let them rot in the deep, dark BF dungeons haha
I think it was all the petty bickering that took place between us in last year's Big Brother thread that did it for me.:p I want to avoid that in the upcoming one, because it's just a massive waste of time. #bringbackthelove :hearts::D

My younger brother, who was 12 at the time of creating my account, used to post on this account for about a year or two, and it was the most cringeworthy stuff with the worst spelling and grammar imaginable. I wish I could erase it.:oops:

Hi Guys,

Been around for a while but only started posting recently so thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Morgan, and been a mad Pies supporter my whole life.

Grew up loving Daics and Rowdy but favorite players at the moment would be Pendles, Elliott and the Seed.

Hard to pick my favorite magpie moment but the 2011 prelim v Hawthorn was amazing.

Most surreal was the drawn grand final, sitting alone next to a St Kilda supporter who hugged me at the end because we both didn't know what to do. That's the point in which I realised just how much this club meant to me.

Being a collingwood supporter was not a choice in my family, it was the one thing we did every week as a family and to this day I still take my Mum to every game.

Hey guys!

I have a rare framed copeland trophy winners signed jumper. Signatures are that of all living copeland winners till 2009. They signed it at a Copeland Trophy Winners gathering that was organised bringing all living winners together for the last time. The event was a once in a lifetime reunion. Im wondering if you may have some advice on the the best place to let people know that I'm thinking of selling it?

I greatly appreciate your feedback!

Hiya

Been a pies man for 20 or so years, first game was seeing the pies get smashed by the hawks at Waverley.
Favourite game is anytime we beat the hawks. Heart skipped a dozen beats after balley's snap.

Daicos --> Sav --> Bucks --> Licuria --> Pendles (With Daisy for one year)

Literally don't have any other mates who go for the pies. At the drawn grand final, all my mates had a Hayes/Saints multi for about $5k. Never felt so alone. Though the week after was marvelous.

Loved Malthouse's teams, even without the best skills, taught the guys HEART is everything. Those guys would've gone to war for Mick.

Pete

I think it was all the petty bickering that took place between us in last year's Big Brother thread that did it for me.:p I want to avoid that in the upcoming one, because it's just a massive waste of time. #bringbackthelove :hearts::D

My younger brother, who was 12 at the time of creating my account, used to post on this account for about a year or two, and it was the most cringeworthy stuff with the worst spelling and grammar imaginable. I wish I could erase it.:oops:
Sure, your brother. ;)

I hope you didn't get hit up by a predator asking for photos of you in nothing but a Collingwood beanie? Didn't force a change of username, I hope? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long time listener, first time caller?

A bit nervous about taking your first tentative steps into the maelstrom that is BigFooty?

That's all cool, we were all newbies once, we know what it's like.

Why not introduce yourself by letting us know a little about yourself.

Here's some questions to help you!:

1) Who do you barrack for? (hint anything but Collingwood ends with a banzhammer)
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player?
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment?
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan?

Oh and last, but definitely not least, welcome to the Collingwood forum on BigFooty :thumbsu:
Hi everyone just signed up been reading for a long time.
My team is collingwood and my favourite player is pendlebury.
Favourite moments are the 90 and 2010 flags.
Pies fan my whole life.

1) Who do you barrack for? (hint anything but Collingwood ends with a banzhammer)

Collingwood!

Jamie Elliot (those speccy's!) and Steele Sidebottom (work rate)

2010 Grand Final Replay - Heath Shaw smother on Reiwoldt. That was a gold moment and I knew we were going to smash them from that point.

Joined the Royal Australian Navy in 1995 and was sent to the ANZAC day game in uniform as part of the military presence. Coming from NSW I loved the atmosphere, the crowd involvement and picked the pies from that day and haven't regretted it since

Collingwood

Mason Cox. as a brand new fan from the USA i figured id start with a brand new American as my favorite.

TBD

Just this past week i came across a youtube video describing Aussie Rules. it was fantastic so i decided i would start to follow the sport and having a team makes it more fun right? so i had a few criteria...

Now i could have waited to choose a team and see what teams i like but i didnt want to pick a team based on this moment in time. i wanted a team that hopefully speaks to my soul.

I wanted a team with a long history. I wanted to shy away from new teams in case they fold.

I didnt want a team that was currently a dynasty. From the looks of it Collingwood has only won twice since 1958.

I had my eye on teams from Melbourne since it seems that Aussie Rules is celebrated the most in that area?

so after narrowing it down i watched youtube clips of the candidates...from matches to fans etc..

and seeing Collingwood over its history(as much as i could grasp in that short time) showed me a team that i think i would love to support. Collingwood's fans seem like the best in all of the league and i look forward to being a part of that.

EDIT: if anyone has any recs for Pies podcasts, blogs, writers, twitter accounts, youtubes of great moments/matches etc... i would love to hear them.

Collingwood

Welcome!

Mason Cox. as a brand new fan from the USA i figured id start with a brand new American as my favorite.

Whereabouts in the great state of Arizona do you come from?

I generally share my time between Prescott AZ and Sydney Australia these days.

The team used to do their off-season altitude training camps up at Flagstaff AZ, and only stopped going there when they got a new coach who wanted to create a new routine and signal that times had changed.

We did once have an American on our list (roster) - Shae McNamara. IIRC he was around 25 when he first started playing the game, and was on our rookie list for three years but never played a senior game. I saw him play a few games I reckon he did alright - he managed to kick and handpass on both sides of his body which was very impressive. I think where he struggled was the physicality of the game (Shae was ex-basketball and soccer) and the tactical understanding of it (where to run to, etc). He didn't leave under the best of circumstances, so there was a little bit of bad blood which was a shame.

We do have a few American fans on here / Aussie fans who live in America.

TBD

Good answer! The club have a proud history, but there are many great moments that are yet to be made.

Just this past week i came across a youtube video describing Aussie Rules. it was fantastic so i decided i would start to follow the sport and having a team makes it more fun right? so i had a few criteria...

Now i could have waited to choose a team and see what teams i like but i didnt want to pick a team based on this moment in time. i wanted a team that hopefully speaks to my soul.

I wanted a team with a long history.

Collingwood has that. It's a proud history and troubled history. It is amongst the more successful clubs, but our glory days of winning Premierships were early to mid 20th century. In my lifetime I've seen Collingwood play in 11 grand finals ... and sadly only win 2 of them :( )

I wanted to shy away from new teams in case they fold.

Hmm, wouldn't be a great concern, TBH. The Suns are here to stay. GWS haven't settled themselves yet. The competition is very wealthy and will support the new teams well into the future.

I didnt want a team that was currently a dynasty. From the looks of it Collingwood has only won twice since 1958.

:(

I had my eye on teams from Melbourne since it seems that Aussie Rules is celebrated the most in that area?

Indeed it is.

The national competition as it is today was established out of the Victorian competition. Today there are 10 teams in Victoria and two in each of the states of South Australia, Western Australia, New South Wales and Queensland. It's the main game in the southern states (Vic, SA, WA ... add Tasmania to that). The game has always struggled in NSW where they prefer a different sport (Rugby League) and Queensland is a bit of in-between (a Rugby league state as well, which has had a large influx of Victorians move to the sunnier climate)

so after narrowing it down i watched youtube clips of the candidates...from matches to fans etc..

and seeing Collingwood over its history(as much as i could grasp in that short time) showed me a team that i think i would love to support. Collingwood's fans seem like the best in all of the league and i look forward to being a part of that.

Collingwood has the largest fan / membership base. We have a stereotype as being 'feral', toothless, etc which we kind of play up to. The truth is that we are hugely diverse as you'll see amongst the demographics on here.

We have a bit of "it's us against everyone else" about us.

EDIT: if anyone has any recs for Pies podcasts, blogs, writers, twitter accounts, youtubes of great moments/matches etc... i would love to hear them.

You can watch the games live and replay where you are for a small fee on watchafl.afl.com.au . If there are free / illegal streams then it's against this sites rules to ask for them (sorry). www.collingwoodfc.com.au has a wealth of material.

We do produce a podcast on this site intermittently at the moment ... You can find a link to them all here

Again, welcome!!

Last edited:
Whereabouts in the great state of Arizona do you come from?

thanks for the fantastic welcome! I live in Gilbert. have been here a few years and am originally from the Washington D.C. metro area. all of my pro teams are DC teams and I support Chelsea in soccer.

Pretty interesting that they had training here in Flagstaff. that would have been great to see.

do AFL teams ever do preseason tours of the USA like Euro soccer teams do?

do AFL teams ever do preseason tours of the USA like Euro soccer teams do?

I believe they only do preseason training there, I don't think they play games.

The two main places in the US that the AFL teams train are Flagstaff AZ and in Utah.

The AFL hosted a recruitment camp a few months back in California where we trailed 18 potential recruits. That's when we came across Mason Cox. To my knowledge, he was the only player who has made it onto an AFL list so far.

1) Now i could have waited to choose a team and see what teams i like but i didnt want to pick a team based on this moment in time. i wanted a team that hopefully speaks to my soul.

May I congratulate you on your exceptionally good taste?

ha. thanks!

looking forward to watching my first game this weekend. 2a.m. local time but one of my super powers along with sleeping on flights with ease is the ability wake in the middle of the night for sports w/o consequence and also with ease.

What did you think?

Sorry, missed this last night.

Only one team matters - Pies.

Favourite player - Pendles, Billy and Frosty.

Favourite Collingwood moment - 2010 Prelim and GF replay and any time we beat Carlton.

Love going to Anzac Day every year - it's my birthday.

How did you come to be a Pies supporter - born in to it.

Last edited:
Thrilled to talk everything Collingwood with the lads here at big footy!

Tough question...have to go with Collingwood

All of them? Honestly, Pendles. I know it is quite mainstream but I was at his debut game vs the Lions and fell in love with him that night.

2010 Grand Final

Born into a Magpie family!

I thought it was about time I stop lurking and start chiming in now I've got a bit of time on my hands with the uni break.

1) Who do you barrack for?

Collingwood, I'm a big soccer (football) fan too.

Pendles and Swan, to a lesser extent Ball and the Seed...once upon a time Daisy too.

2010 Grand Final.

My entire family has supported Collingwood for several generations now so I had no choice in the matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back