Mega Thread The Welcome Thread - If you're new (or old) to BigFooty introduce yourself here

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi there everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I’m originally from Canada but moved here for the wife in 2011, and have been a Collingwood member since 2012. I picked the Pies as my team when I first visited in 2010. The first Collingwood game I watched was the drawn Grand Final, on tv back in Canada, and I had no idea what was going on but loved it.

Obviously I barrack for Collingwood, and I also follow my hometown Winnipeg Jets in the NHL

My favourite Collingwood player, used to be Daisy until he left. I also like Pendles, and really enjoyed Krakouer and how excited he would get after kicking a goal.

My favourite Collingwood moment was probably when Swan kicked that running goal on Anzac Day from that really tight angle a few years back right in front of me.

When I first came here I was courted if you could call it that by bombers fans, and Norf fans, but when my wife’s grandfather told me the story on how he became a fan, his brothers telling him years ago to not pick Collingwood cuz everyone hates them, I knew they were the team for me.

My future posts probably won’t be so long winded haha look forward to chatting to all of you and Go Pies!

hi guys!
just joined up after months of lurking! i couldn't resist!

1) Who do you barrack for? collingwood.
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player? hoskin-elliott, cox
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? 2010 grand final.
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan? my mother is a huge pies fan and my father is Carlton, so i guess i liked the pies more! and i dont regret it!

Welcome to the madhouse CanadianPie!

What was the strangest thing about footy when you were learning the game?

What's your favourite thing about footy?

I remember thinking, what’s with all the whistles? Every catch whistle, then whistle play on! Also why if they catch after a kick does everyone have to back off, but if they handball (also weird) no one stops? Now I get it all and sometimes have to explain rules to Aussies haha.

I love that is a very physical game, and like in hockey, you can’t just be a skilled player, you have to have some toughness to play the game, and that diving and flopping is looked down on. That and speccys.

Long time lurker, finally decided to get around making an account.

1) Barrack for the mighty flagpies
2) Favourite player - Scotty Pendlebury
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? Alan Didak smothering the ball, turning onto his right and hooking it back in the GF
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan? Pies supporter from birth, grandfather used to live in Collingwood and it has become a family tradition ever since

Long time lurker, finally decided to get around making an account.

1) Barrack for the mighty flagpies
2) Favourite player - Scotty Pendlebury
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? Alan Didak smothering the ball, turning onto his right and hooking it back in the GF
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan? Pies supporter from birth, grandfather used to live in Collingwood and it has become a family tradition ever since
The Didak smother and goal is an interesting one for me.
Loved the goal but hated the way he shrugged off Sidey I think it was after the goal because he was more interested in doing a dance to the crowd than celebrating with his teammate.

Hi guys,

1) Who do you barrack for? is anyone other than collingwood acceptable? I think not. There was no choice in my family. Nobody better than the good old black and white.
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player? I have always felt like a mother, asking to choose her favourite children. It varies from era to era. When I was a kid, I had a soft spot for Monkhurst (I loved the nickname "monkey") and then Anthony Rocca, because my sisters friend dated his brother, Sav for a while. Then when I got back into footy in my teens it was Didak for the longest time. I used to get "4" printed on my face at footy games. I also loved Taz (Tarrant) before my Didak days. I guess now in the current era it ranges between Mason Cox, Alex Fasolo and Jordan De Goey. Man, okay you asked a simple question and I made an essay.. oops.
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? 2010 GF Re-draw. I saw that because after the draw, I happened to win a double pass to the redraw, and I never thought I would get to be at a GF, less alone one that we won at. I took my brother. We sat on L4, but I didn't know. We were there, and what a marvellous day that was. I would never forget it.
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan? This is a bit of a loaded question. I suppose you could say I was a fan before I was born. My mum was pregnant with me when she attended a pies v blues game, and she almost went into labour when we started losing. Long story short, fast forward a few years, my dad and my mum used to take us to games at vic park. I remember how the kids used to sit on the toilet blocks (which are no longer there), I also had a nail go right through my foot, because the seats were so old back then. And so growing up, there was no other choice. It was in my blood, in my very being to be a collingwood supporter, because I would not rather be anything else, even when my grandpa went for Carlton lol

Hi guys,

1) Who do you barrack for? is anyone other than collingwood acceptable? I think not. There was no choice in my family. Nobody better than the good old black and white.
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player? I have always felt like a mother, asking to choose her favourite children. It varies from era to era. When I was a kid, I had a soft spot for Monkhurst (I loved the nickname "monkey") and then Anthony Rocca, because my sisters friend dated his brother, Sav for a while. Then when I got back into footy in my teens it was Didak for the longest time. I used to get "4" printed on my face at footy games. I also loved Taz (Tarrant) before my Didak days. I guess now in the current era it ranges between Mason Cox, Alex Fasolo and Jordan De Goey. Man, okay you asked a simple question and I made an essay.. oops.
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? 2010 GF Re-draw. I saw that because after the draw, I happened to win a double pass to the redraw, and I never thought I would get to be at a GF, less alone one that we won at. I took my brother. We sat on L4, but I didn't know. We were there, and what a marvellous day that was. I would never forget it.
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan? This is a bit of a loaded question. I suppose you could say I was a fan before I was born. My mum was pregnant with me when she attended a pies v blues game, and she almost went into labour when we started losing. Long story short, fast forward a few years, my dad and my mum used to take us to games at vic park. I remember how the kids used to sit on the toilet blocks (which are no longer there), I also had a nail go right through my foot, because the seats were so old back then. And so growing up, there was no other choice. It was in my blood, in my very being to be a collingwood supporter, because I would not rather be anything else, even when my grandpa went for Carlton lol
Welcome Jen, hope you have a great stay and have joined at the right time as we are finals bound. Yeah! Lets hope that it is the same result as 2010.

Hi guys,

I've really enjoyed your first 12 posts. Welcome aboard! :)

I used to post here heaps back in mid 2000’s. Pies member for 25 years. Worked for the club in 2009/10 doing game day stats in the box.

Hello all!

MagpieBat would approve your avatar!

Where are the best places to find quality stats? How do the stats the clubs keep differ from what's available?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MagpieBat would approve your avatar!

Where are the best places to find quality stats? How do the stats the clubs keep differ from what's available?
Champion data do the stats we see during a game. Match day the club focuses on custom stats, defensive plays, one percenters, interceptions, chains of play, can change week to week. That was a while ago now, may be different.

I’m a huge Batman fan. Run my own dc sites out of the USA

Hi fellow Magpie fans. Been lurking for a bit; decided to join.

1) Who do you barrack for? Collingwood through and through, attending almost all magpies games in Melbourne
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player? Through the years: Peter Daicos, Nathan Buckley, Alan Didak. Present team - tough, but probably Adam Treloar and Jordan De Gun.
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? 2010 Preliminary final smashing of Geelong (and the chant that went around the ground)
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan? My father barracked for the 'pies; he changed to bombers when I was young (when Hafey was sacked), but I stuck true.

Hi everyone, like all of you I'm a passionate Magpies fan, I've been on BigFooty since '08 but never posted until last week (on the GC forum too, don't hate me! I should have come here first...) Spent a large chunk of my adult life living in the UK so it was harder to follow my beloved Pies but I'm back in OZ now and have been following them as much as I can!

Answers to the board questions:
1) Who do you barrack for? Collingwood
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player? Scott Pendlebury currently but Daicos is all time fav.
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? 1990 Grand Final, just for the pure relief and joy of breaking 'that' drought
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan? Through my father, his family being Italian immigrants that called Collingwood their first home in OZ.

I’m always intrigued about the first question on here.

1) Who do you barrack for?

Is there anyone else? On a Collingwood board?

In the mean time welcome one and all.

Hi folks, long time lurker, finally got around to creating an account.

Have been a Pies fan my whole life, inheriting my love for this great club from my father who picked them as his club of choice when he immigrated to Australia in the 70s. His local soccer team in Italy wore black and white vertical stripes so the transition to a new team in a new code was easy enough.

It’s hard to pin down just one player as a favourite, I guess it’s easier to pick favourite players from different eras. Loved watching Tony Francis and Mick McGuane in the early 90s during my earliest days at the footy. Mid to late 90s brought in Bucks, Brown, Sav Rocca and Scotty Burns. Early 2000’s had Jimmy Clement, Anthony Rocca and Lonie. Late 2000’s had Swanny, Maxwell, Harry O, Toovey, Steele and Pendles. Favs from the current group of players include Phillips, De Goey, Coxy and Checkers. If I had to pick an all-time fav, I guess I just need to look at the reason I’ve always had 36 printed on the back of my Collingwood jersey… Sav Rocca. That number has served me particularly well – Sav, Swanny and now Sier. Makes me happy to see #36 is in very good hands.

Favorited Collingwood moment is a hard one to pick. I wasn’t quite old enough to appreciate the ’90 premiership… and then it was 20 long years of heartache before I got to properly experience premiership glory. Which makes the 2010 GF replay hard to top. Though with that said, this year’s PF was something really special. The atmosphere at the G during and after the game was incredible. I was sitting on level 1 and with a few minutes left moved down to sit in some abandon Richmond supporter seats right up against the fence. I stood there for over half an hour after the game just trying to take in and appreciate what had just happened. That's an experience that is going to be hard to top.

Hi folks, long time lurker, finally got around to creating an account.

Have been a Pies fan my whole life, inheriting my love for this great club from my father who picked them as his club of choice when he immigrated to Australia in the 70s. His local soccer team in Italy wore black and white vertical stripes so the transition to a new team in a new code was easy enough.

It’s hard to pin down just one player as a favourite, I guess it’s easier to pick favourite players from different eras. Loved watching Tony Francis and Mick McGuane in the early 90s during my earliest days at the footy. Mid to late 90s brought in Bucks, Brown, Sav Rocca and Scotty Burns. Early 2000’s had Jimmy Clement, Anthony Rocca and Lonie. Late 2000’s had Swanny, Maxwell, Harry O, Toovey, Steele and Pendles. Favs from the current group of players include Phillips, De Goey, Coxy and Checkers. If I had to pick an all-time fav, I guess I just need to look at the reason I’ve always had 36 printed on the back of my Collingwood jersey… Sav Rocca. That number has served me particularly well – Sav, Swanny and now Sier. Makes me happy to see #36 is in very good hands.

Favorited Collingwood moment is a hard one to pick. I wasn’t quite old enough to appreciate the ’90 premiership… and then it was 20 long years of heartache before I got to properly experience premiership glory. Which makes the 2010 GF replay hard to top. Though with that said, this year’s PF was something really special. The atmosphere at the G during and after the game was incredible. I was sitting on level 1 and with a few minutes left moved down to sit in some abandon Richmond supporter seats right up against the fence. I stood there for over half an hour after the game just trying to take in and appreciate what had just happened. That's an experience that is going to be hard to top.
Welcome serial thinker.

If nothing else you do have a great avatar name.

Welcome aboard.

Howdy Pies supporters great to be back on Big Footy.I have returned after a long hiatus oversees.I used to post previously under the name Travis Bloke.

Great to be back as the Hyphon.

Go pies in 2019
Better avatar name.

Welcome aboard hyphened one.

Howdy Pies supporters great to be back on Big Footy.I have returned after a long hiatus oversees.I used to post previously under the name Travis Bloke.

Great to be back as the Hyphon.

Go pies in 2019
WHE welcome you back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back